There's more than Football!

VikingFan14

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Tim,

You have sure done a good job raising Matt! I know how hard it is to make it being raised by a single parent..... from the childs perspective! I cannot even imagine you and Matt's situation though! I know the last several years that I've really realized how much my mom did for me! I can still remember like it was yesterday - Dane, Mrs. Lisa, my mom and me going to Humboldt Lake fishing off the dock, then going back to yalls house off the by-pass and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! I also remember you taking Dane and me to shoot a .22 at bottles off of a bridge out toward Gadsden. I'm not sure if you remember that or not. I know Matt realizes now how much you do and have done for him, but in the next several years he will learn to appreciate it more than you can imagine!!!!! I still have a picture of Mrs. Lisa in my desk, and she was certainly a wonderful woman! If Matt ever needs to anyone to throw a baseball with, tell him to let me know.

volsken is a pretty good old fellow too! He's my preacher /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Jonathan Warrington

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

This is inspirational! You should submit this to some publication -I'm sure someone would be honored to publish it!

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

men like yo should be commended I dont care if you dont want the praise you deserve it, because you are obviously raising a model citizen of a son. too many time we here about dead beat dads that are p.o.s's and dont help raise their kids your son's mom passes away and you do what any real man would do. I went through the same thing my mom died when I was six and my dad was there for me every step of the way. so I know what your son has gone through. applause to you and all the dad's in the world that are real men and take care of their responsibilities

I just want to say that the comments from all of you have been overwhelming to me as a parent. There have been events in my life that I wish had not taken place but as I look at my son & hear the nice comments from people that have been around him it makes me think that we've done good. Children don't come with an owner's manual so we have to figure things out on our own. Sometimes we do good & sometimes we fail but whatever we do we do as a family. Same thing in the game of football..........you win together & you lose together!

I've run through the gamut of emotions! I've questioned God. I've dared him to face me! I've cursed him! I'm glad he is a forgiving God! I'm glad that he understood my frustration & loved me enough to forgive me. He loves me! And I love him! And I'm thankful that he gave me the greatest gift he could give a man & that is a wonderful child. Love your children every day & tell them when they make you proud. Thanks again to everyone of you for making my bittersweet Friday night a blessing! You made an impact on me! You really helped alot!

There you go again.........you owe me $1 for the box of Kleenex I have had to replenish.

VikingFan14 for President of Dads

I have read this entire thread a few times now. Everytime I have to stop and dry my eyes so I can continue reading. As a son that had parents come to watch me play and now as a dad that gets to go and watch his son play with his wife I can not imagine what these two great men have gone through. I am truly blessed by the love, grace, and mercy of God Almighty. I don't know this father or son, but I am praying for you and thanking God for you and the impact that you have had on I am sure countless lives. Eternity only, will reveal the impact that you have had and the reasons why this happened to you, but I am sure this thread was in God's perfect plan and his infinite wisdom. God Bless You both.

This is definitely the best post I've ever seen on CoachT. You and your son both sound like stand up guys, and for that I commend you!! I'm from Milan, so I know all about Humboldt and their sports. I grew up playing baseball, so I've played against Humboldt all star teams since I was 4. Then moved on to high school and continued to play them. And I have to say, even though we are huge rivals, it was always fun to play a team like Humboldt. They always did show alot of sportsmanship to us, and that's greatly appreciated. I too, like several others, have read this thread and your post over and over. This has touched me more than you'll ever know. For a dad to be so supportive and so strong for his son and with his son through everything in life, says alot. My dad has been there for me since day one. I'm now in the military and stationed overseas in Guam, and he is still my inspiration to do well in life. With your son only being a senior, he still has so much growing to do...and with that growing will come more appreciation for what you've done as a father. You have my respect, and have made a new friend in me also. I hope that when I get to come home from being here that I can meet you face to face and shake your hand on a job well done. May God bless you and your son, Matt.

-MilanDog9

Mr. Tim,

You have sure done a good job raising Matt! I know how hard it is to make it being raised by a single parent..... from the childs perspective! I cannot even imagine you and Matt's situation though! I know the last several years that I've really realized how much my mom did for me! I can still remember like it was yesterday - Dane, Mrs. Lisa, my mom and me going to Humboldt Lake fishing off the dock, then going back to yalls house off the by-pass and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! I also remember you taking Dane and me to shoot a .22 at bottles off of a bridge out toward Gadsden. I'm not sure if you remember that or not. I know Matt realizes now how much you do and have done for him, but in the next several years he will learn to appreciate it more than you can imagine!!!!! I still have a picture of Mrs. Lisa in my desk, and she was certainly a wonderful woman! If Matt ever needs to anyone to throw a baseball with, tell him to let me know.

volsken is a pretty good old fellow too! He's my preacher /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Jonathan Warrington

Jon, I had forgotten taking you & Dane shooting! Wow, thanks for the memory! You know as well as I do that you have one of the greatest moms ever. She's done alot for you & you for her! She's VERY proud of you! I know you know that but I can tell you that she is & it doesn't hurt to hear it from someone else. She's an awesome mother & YOU should be proud to call her "mom". Can't believe you still have a pic of Lisa. Yea, she was a wonderful woman. Matt could use your help with his baseball swing. I'll tell him to holla at ya. Thanks again for the wonderful memory. You've grown to be a fine young man.

There you go again.........you owe me $1 for the box of Kleenex I have had to replenish.

VikingFan14 for President of Dads

I'll be glad to! I'll even buy you lunch sometime if you're ever this way. Btw, I ain't running for president of dads. I only did what I had to do & that was be responsible. It is what it is! We go on! But thanks anyway.

men like yo should be commended I dont care if you dont want the praise you deserve it, because you are obviously raising a model citizen of a son. too many time we here about dead beat dads that are p.o.s's and dont help raise their kids your son's mom passes away and you do what any real man would do. I went through the same thing my mom died when I was six and my dad was there for me every step of the way. so I know what your son has gone through. applause to you and all the dad's in the world that are real men and take care of their responsibilities

Your dad obviously did a fine job raising you! Shake his hand, give him a hug, & tell him how much you appreciate him. Just do it out of the blue sometime! It'll make him know how wonderful YOU are!