There's more than Football!

VikingFan14

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Tim Pritchard (VikingFan14)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me put things into perspective! Friday night was Senior Night @ Humboldt before the Westview vs Humboldt game. Before the game all the senior's parents were honored along with their sons. My son's mother passed away on January 4th 1994 when he was 3 yrs old. The names were called & roses given to the player to hand to each player's mother. As my son's name was called he walked up & retrieved the rose intended for his mother & graciously gave it to me with a big smile on his face. I held back the tears! His smile was so loving & appreciative! So mature & strong! Much stronger than I ever was! The game went on & I sat there watching more calmly than any game I've ever watched him play. I held the rose! Cradled it cause I knew what he was wanting to do with it. After the game he came up to me & said he knew what he wanted to do with the rose. I told him I knew as well. He said he wanted to go to the cemetary & give it to his mother. I knew! I knew before he told me!

The next morning we went to the cemetary & Matt walked up to his mother's headstone, looked for a moment, then gently placed the flower on his mother's headstone. He placed it just like he wanted slightly turning it so it was placed just right. He took a few steps back to make sure it was just right. I was speechless! The same feeling I've had for all these years. Speechless! Holding back tears! I remembered him placing Mother's Day cards he'd made in school on his mother's headstone & saying, "I love you mommy". This time he just stared at his mother's headstone. I tried to say she'd be proud of you but I couldn't. Matt asked me what I was trying to say. I still couldn't say it! Speechless again! He stood there so strong! I cried! I knew he had grown up to be a man. Much more of a man than I'll ever be! He's been my rock all these years since his mother's passing. That's not the way it supposed to be. Life's not fair! And it's not fair that a child should have to grow up without his/her mother but it is what it is. We go on!

Although I couldn't say it at the moment I know his mother would be proud of him. I sure am! He's much more than I could ever imagine. He's much more a man than I ever was & for that I'm VERY proud of him! There's more to life than the game of football or anything else for that matter. Life is about trials, tribulations, & lessons! I've doubted my parenting as we all do but today I realized that a little boy growing up to be a good man is the greatest accomplishment that I've ever had. Remember that as your kids go through life.

Old man had to take off his glasses and dab his eyes while reading this. Early in the morning and late in the year for the pollen to affect me like this. Strange

sounds like the young man has been led by a great example too !!

Man that's awesome! That just made my day! God is alive and well!

What An Amazing Revelation, And An Extroidinary Young Man. Seems You have Done An Excellent Job As A Father. I Don't know You Or Him But I'm Proud Of You Both in Just Reading This. Thank-You For Sharing A Very Touching Moment In Your Life. I'm Sure Whoever Reads This Will Feel the Same. Truely Amazing.

What An Amazing Revelation, And An Extroidinary Young Man. Seems You have Done An Excellent Job As A Father. I Don't know You Or Him But I'm Proud Of You Both in Just Reading This. Thank-You For Sharing A Very Touching Moment In Your Life. I'm Sure Whoever Reads This Will Feel the Same. Truely Amazing.

I take no glory as it all goes to God & my son! Thanks! I wrote this wanting no accolades but to let everyone know that we all get caught up in so many things outside of God, Country, & Family! Those are the most important things!

I take no glory as it all goes to God & my son! Thanks! I wrote this wanting no accolades but to let everyone know that we all get caught up in so many things outside of God, Country, & Family! Those are the most important things!

Yes. Our lives are so filled with things that seem so important at the time. As I reflect on what really matters, football is very low on the list. Thank you God, for using this man's post as a reminder that we need to be focused on You. Thank you Tim for being so open and transparent with your presonal life. I'm so sorry for you and your son that you lost someone so important - a mother for your son and a companion for you. I can only imagine it never gets easier. But it seems as though you, with God's guidance, have been a great influence on your son. I will definitely take extra time with my family today thanks to this post. And hopefully I will continue to remember what is really important in this busy world of ours. Isn't it awesome how God can use anything to draw us closer to Him!!!

Thank you for sharing this. I too cried while reading. You are so right, football is just a vehicle for teaching kids about life and preparing them for the BIG game. I truly believe that it is the trials, disappointments, and defeats in life that really make us better and stronger. Paul tells us in the Bible to REJOICE in those trials as that is when we know that our Father is teaching us.

It is evident that He has taught your son, and you, well indeed. I hope for the best for both of you as he grows and ventures out well prepared to face his future.