HUNTERS LANE IS BACK

hunnalanewarrior

Explain this one to me shadow PLEASE!!! If I am mistaken then I do apologize however what I have heard is that Glencliff's coaching staff reviewed the records of a Hunters Lane student athlete following the Colts loss to the Warriors. They even supposedly were said to have taken it all the way to the guidance counselor at HLHS and the final verdict was that a fifth year player was playing football of HLHS. How are you a fifth year senior if you've passed English for every single year up to now and have at least gotten 6/8 possible credits per year. Is this student granted a fifth year of eligibility because he didn't fail English but didn't pass enough credits in a prior year to the 2006-2007 school year?????

I am not trying to be a wise guy here shadow I just am confused as to how this whole situation came about.

does T.O(antonio) still get to play after this or does he have to sit out? im glad to see hl still in it, hate to see a team go down like that, expecially my old team!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TO EVERYONE THAT READS THESE BOARDS:

First and foremost I would like to apologize for being a "little" irrational this past weekend. I went over the deepend watching the Hunter's lane players going through all of the speculation and uncertainty that they went through. I apologize for running off at the mouth and saying things in anger that didnt need to be said. I would especially like to apologize to the Glencliff coaching staff and everyone there. I made accusations from the point of view of someone without all of the information, from hearsay. Please believe that I am not normally like this. Emotions were running hot and I dont believe the coaching staff from Glencliff would waste that much time for something that they would not benefit from.

Secondly, I would like to tell the players and coaches at Hunter's Lane that I knew that they would never intentionally play a player that was ineligible. I have known Coach Campbell for a very long time and I knew that he would definately have crossed his t's and dotted his i's.

Hunter's Lane football team is a group of the most giving and caring players that I have ever seen. They are respectful on and off the field. I look for HLHS to go all the way this season... and just want them to know that I will be there.... In the stands...ALL THE WAY.

does T.O(antonio) still get to play after this or does he have to sit out? im glad to see hl still in it, hate to see a team go down like that, expecially my old team!

T.O. IS eligible according to the TSSAA rules that we are ALL governed by. TSSAA has determined that. He is NOT an ineligible player, thus is eligible to play.

Understand this!!!! Let's get off the 40 days for a minute, why the Tennessean chose to post that one bit of information is ridiculous to me. Had he attended more than 40 days in those two semesters the kid still at the end of this school year, will have been in school 10 semesters. Period. Everyone has 8 semesters of athletic eligibility. Period. There are several semesters that he was ineligible to play and during those semesters he DID NOT play. THIS IS HIS 7th athletically eligible semester. Period. What do we not understand about that. The only thing that is update for debate is whether he can play any sport next semester. The kid plays nothing other than football so after this semester who cares. The only reason that this is in question is because the Glencliff coach has not reported back to TSSAA as to whether not the kid played in any one game in 2004. The Tennessean posted information about the 40 days because I guess they felt they needed to put one point in there to justify this. Forty days or not he served his semesters of ineligibility at the time he was ineligible. That is the rule. Do you all want to crucify this kid now, posting his name on this site. He's embarrassed enough to have put his teammates through this. When your grades make you athletically ineligible to participate in sports you serve that ineligibility the semester after. Period!!!!

Understand this!!!! Let's get off the 40 days for a minute, why the Tennessean chose to post that one bit of information is ridiculous to me. Had he attended more than 40 days in those two semesters the kid still at the end of this school year, will have been in school 10 semesters. Period. Everyone has 8 semesters of athletic eligibility. Period. There are several semesters that he was ineligible to play and during those semesters he DID NOT play. THIS IS HIS 7th athletically eligible semester. Period. What do we not understand about that. The only thing that is update for debate is whether he can play any sport next semester. The kid plays nothing other than football so after this semester who cares. The only reason that this is in question is because the Glencliff coach has not reported back to TSSAA as to whether not the kid played in any one game in 2004. The Tennessean posted information about the 40 days because I guess they felt they needed to put one point in there to justify this. Forty days or not he served his semesters of ineligibility at the time he was ineligible. That is the rule. Do you all want to crucify this kid now, posting his name on this site. He's embarrassed enough to have put his teammates through this. When your grades make you athletically ineligible to participate in sports you serve that ineligibility the semester after. Period!!!!

Another take on this what about a child that's on the HL football team that has attended school everyday made the grades is not 19 years old or almost and has had to sit and not get to play because this kid sat out didn't make the grades and missed alot of school but is eligible now doesn't seem quite fair to the child that did what he's supposed to do and doesn't get the opportunity to play over this kid.

Another take on this what about a child that's on the HL football team that has attended school everyday made the grades is not 19 years old or almost and has had to sit and not get to play because this kid sat out didn't make the grades and missed alot of school but is eligible now doesn't seem quite fair to the child that did what he's supposed to do and doesn't get the opportunity to play over this kid.

This not a situation that is new to this state folks. He is not the only kid that has or has had this situation. When TSSAA reviewed this many other situations just like this were brought up. It is important to note that through Hunters Lane football, though Fellowship Christian Athletes this kid has found God. He attends church because the direction this sport has put him in. He makes passing grades. He has been by far the most vocal player on this team at preaching the things the coaches expect out of him. He has done the right thing. All of us have something in our past that we are not proud of, but what defines us is what course we take after having experienced that. In a court of law what he did in that past would be considered a misdemeanor and some of us are treating him like a FELON. We give murderers a second chance in life, but am I hearing let don't give a child a second chance. The rules have allowed for his participation this year, why can't you all?

It seems that many of you are much more versed in this rule than I am so can you answer some questions for me?

Would it be possible to pull a kid out of school for health reasons and he still retain his 8 semesters of eligibility (assuming they had not attended 40 days of school)?

If the student did attend school for at least 40 day due to health reasons would they be considered truant?

Does a student that withdraws from school with less than 40 days completed have to sign up for homebound services?

How does the 8 consecutive semester rule fit in with these scenarios?

I am not questioning the ruling at HL but I am curious how it applies to aother students.

T.O. IS eligible according to the TSSAA rules that we are ALL governed by. TSSAA has determined that. He is NOT an ineligible player, thus is eligible to play.

I wouldn't hang on that too tight. TSSAA has been known to reverse field and change their minds. Just ask several schools in the mid-state. If I'm not mistaken didn't that happen to Gallatin. TSSAA said a kid was eligible and turned around and said "Whoops, no he's not"

It seems that many of you are much more versed in this rule than I am so can you answer some questions for me?

Would it be possible to pull a kid out of school for health reasons and he still retain his 8 semesters of eligibility (assuming they had not attended 40 days of school)?

If the student did attend school for at least 40 day due to health reasons would they be considered truant?

Does a student that withdraws from school with less than 40 days completed have to sign up for homebound services?

How does the 8 consecutive semester rule fit in with these scenarios?

I am not questioning the ruling at HL but I am curious how it applies to aother students.

TSSAA has NEVER had a 8 consecutive semester rule. Let me back up. Ronnie Carter says that in the 42 years he has been in this there has not been a 8 consecutive semester rule. The only semesters that have to be consecutive is the 7th and 8th.

It has been done in other parts of the state, where a kid pulled out of school for health reasons (injury playing a sport) and still retained his 8 semesters of eligibilty assuming they had not attended 40 days of school. Hence the rule that now also states if you attend school less then 40 days, yet you played in any games it WILL count as a semester. That stops a student from dropping out after a season-ending injury to try and regain that semester.

TSSAA has NEVER had a 8 consecutive semester rule. Let me back up. Ronnie Carter says that in the 42 years he has been in this there has not been a 8 consecutive semester rule. The only semesters that have to be consecutive is the 7th and 8th.

It has been done in other parts of the state, where a kid pulled out of school for health reasons (injury playing a sport) and still retained his 8 semesters of eligibilty assuming they had not attended 40 days of school. Hence the rule that now also states if you attend school less then 40 days, yet you played in any games it WILL count as a semester. That stops a student from dropping out after a season-ending injury to try and regain that semester.

Thanks. I must have been misinformed on the 8 semester rule.

Coach Campbell and Coach Abner are class guys. They both should be commended on the way they handled a very difficult situation.

Nashville publics are in a crisis, and both of these coaches show that the issue with diminishing athletic titles has very little to do with the quality of the coaches character and knowledge.

Good luck to both coaches and good luck to HL on a playoff run.

So basically you are saying that this player attended school for more than 40 days which at that point made him eligible to play any sport that he wished. So therefore that would make him an ineligible player this semester?!?!?The Tennessean posted that about the forty days because of what it states in the bylaws of the TSSAA eligibility rules. You are eligible to play 8 semesters beginning with your 9th grade year as long as you attend more than 40 days of school!!! If this player did indeed attend more than those 40 days then he was eligible to play at that time! The only reason I feel like this is an issue is because he was put out of Glencliff for putting his hands on a teacher and still getting to play! Which in the end is why it bothers me so much.