John Oerton at Franklin

shsfootball80

I am not a Bruin fan but read back what you just wrote. So if I understand you if you call for a fair catch and then get hit, the fair catch signal is negated? I don't think so. Worst case for Brentwood they should have been penalized for interference. That was quite a penalty allowing the returner to run the ball back for a TD. Makes sense...lol.

Lets call the play what it is then... 1.) Should the play have been blown dead? Yes. 2.) Should the flag been thrown for interference? Yes. 3.) Should the touchdown be scored? Yes and No. Explaination, the ball should have been placed at the spot of the fair catch and a penalty as a result of the contact, there was no whistle on the play. The officials let them play. Franklin's player was aware of playing "between the whistles" and took advantage.

Did it matter in the end? No Brentwood wins.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets call the play what it is then... 1.) Should the play have been blown dead? Yes. 2.) Should the flag been thrown for interference? Yes. 3.) Should the touchdown be scored? Yes and No. Explaination, the ball should have been placed at the spot of the fair catch and a penalty as a result of the contact, there was no whistle on the play. The officials let them play. Franklin's player was aware of playing "between the whistles" and took advantage.

One more thing I would also stop blaming officials and start chewing out the punt team for stopping "between the whistles" which is a cardinal sin in the game of football.

Look within for the problem.

Did you read the entire thread? I was merely calling BS to a couple idiotic posts that read:

QUOTE(lax4life32 @ Nov 6 2007 - 01:16 PM)

drop the whole fair catch thing...if yall hadnt have hit him after he called fair catch it woulda never happened

and then this one

im just sayin that if they hadnt hit him there wouldnt have had to be a call it woulda been dead but since there was a bad officiating crew there they let him run it back.

It didn't affect my team at all. I guess a fair catch signal is just like holding, if it is not called it is not a fair catch signal...lol.

This is a post for people who doubt the Franklin offense. Yes, they have a great defense but the offense is seriously underrated. Brentwood would have to compete with one of the other best defenses in region 6-5A. Lets look at some numbers here.

Points Against - Total from regular season

1. Brentwood.- 136

2. Franklin.- 147

3. Independence.- 157

4. Dickson Co..- 200

Points For - Same as above

1. Franklin.- 285

2. Dickson Co./Ind..- 234

3. Ravenwood/Cent..- 206

Well, if you are one of the worst offense's in the region, how can you lead the in the most points of the year? That doesnt make since at all. With their running threats of three talented backs the receiving core is coached very well. These are complete receivers that block downfield as well as make plays after the catch. The line has been solid as well. I am not sure of the exact scores but I believe this offense has put up 4 games of 40 points or more, and 2 games 35 points or more.

I am sorry but you dont put up those kind of numbers without something clicking right on offense side of the ball.

Just a reminder.

Be careful with just looking at the numbers. 21 of the points for in the Indy game were defensive points. Interception on the 35 (short field). Indy goes for it on the 10 and fails (shorter field) and an INT for a TD. Not sure about the other games, but just because points are scored doesn't always mean the offense drove 80 yards.

So HuntersLane and Antioch are not good ball teams? So far this year I havent seen anyone in the midstate that isnt beatable. There are several good teams and several teams have looked great at times. But not even Riverdale has looked great as of late. MBA is your undefeated team and Ravenwood nearly came back to beat them. White is one of the best backs in the midstate, thats all bobcat is saying. As for the game, it should be close. It all depends on Franklins D being able to contain White.

No, Hunters Lane and Antioch are not good football teams. They are very average like most of the Metro teams this year. Antioch lost to both Riverdale and MBA very soundly early in the season and I don't consider either of them a great team. Both Hunters Lane and Antioch have a few strong individual players but they loose the big games due to very poor special teams play.

John Overton may very well win this game but their fundamentals are poor and they are not a sound high school football team.

No, Hunters Lane and Antioch are not good football teams. They are very average like most of the Metro teams this year. Antioch lost to both Riverdale and MBA very soundly early in the season and I don't consider either of them a great team. Both Hunters Lane and Antioch have a few strong individual players but they loose the big games due to very poor special teams play.

John Overton may very well win this game but their fundamentals are poor and they are not a sound high school football team.

I'm willing to bet that if Antioch has its QB in those two games, they win one of them.

Are you saying that MBA and Riverdale aren't great teams? What does it take to be considered great in your opinion? They are both undefeated and look like be could win state champs.

Be careful with just looking at the numbers. 21 of the points for in the Indy game were defensive points. Interception on the 35 (short field). Indy goes for it on the 10 and fails (shorter field) and an INT for a TD. Not sure about the other games, but just because points are scored doesn't always mean the offense drove 80 yards.

Ok, I understand your comments about the punt return. You were just commenting on other threads. To be honest that was just the thread I decided to shed light on and was directed to everyone who had commented on it.

Why ignore stats when coaches all over the country use them to size up competition!!! (and yes they can be misleading but I dont think these stats will be though)

Total yards OFFENSE

vs. Hillsboro (very fast defense).- 228 yds.

vs. McCallie.- 247 yds.

vs. Ravenwood.- 145 yds. (everyone has a bad game)

vs. McGavock.- 337 yds.

vs. Indy.- 278 yds. WOW!!!

vs. Brentwood.- 200 yds.

vs. Northeast.- 394 yds. yikes, starters are out beginning of 3rd quarter

vs. Columbia.- 372 yds. thats three games now in the 300's

vs. Dickson Co.- 336 yds. now thats four games in the 300's

Total without CHS = 2,537 yds.

However, in reference to your comment about defensive points I would have to say this. Franklin still out scores the closest teams by 51 points. Ok, take away those 21 points from defense, and the offense is still ahead. Indy also decides to go on it in their short field to try and light a spark in their players. The coach even states that it was a mutual decision to go for it and that if he could do it again he would not have gone for it. So your right that doesnt mean they drove the ball 80+ to score. They will take what is given to them. For High School, those numbers are good. So, when looking at everything... Franklin can move the ball. If that doesnt convince you then I dont know what will.

Old cliche to, "Your defense is your best offense."

Ok, I understand your comments about the punt return. You were just commenting on other threads. To be honest that was just the thread I decided to shed light on and was directed to everyone who had commented on it.

Why ignore stats when coaches all over the country use them to size up competition!!! (and yes they can be misleading but I dont think these stats will be though)

Total yards OFFENSE

vs. McCallie.- 247 yds.

vs. McGavock.- 337 yds.

vs. Brentwood.- 200 yds.

However, in reference to your comment about defensive points I would have to say this. Franklin still out scores the closest teams by 51 points. Ok, take away those 21 points from defense, and the offense is still ahead. Indy also decides to go on it in their short field to try and light a spark in their players. The coach even states that it was a mutual decision to go for it and that if he could do it again he would not have gone for it. So your right that doesnt mean they drove the ball 80+ to score. They will take what is given to them. For High School, those numbers are good. So, when looking at everything... Franklin can move the ball. If that doesnt convince you then I dont know what will.

white's a great back, but franklin saw the best back in the state in the super hyped virtual three quarter scrimmage at hillsboro in week 0... did well against him

Oh, that makes more sense. The ref sees a fair catch signal, but since he was hit (and I think hit is way over stated, more like touched) the ref lets him run it back instead of flagging the cover team for interference. That was a heckuva penalty. The hit had nothing to do with the non-fair catch call. Everyone that saw the play live and on film but one said it was a fair catch. I guess what is more upsetting is that the other officials had to have seen it and even though it wasn't their call, not one tried to correct it.

I guess I would end this with saying you and lax4life seem to think that the officials LET him score the TD. You also stated, "That was quite a penalty ALLOWING the returner to run the ball back for a TD." Both of you take the positions that it is the officials fault.

I would put blame on coaches or players for not quitting on the play (although I would not dare put blame on a program). Out of 22 players, 1 decided to keep his head in the game and play within the rules. No whistle = live play. If I am coaching for the Bruins and I hear one of the players complain about the play, I would have to say, "If you tackle him, then he doesnt score on a 58 yd. TD!" "Play between the whistles"

sorry to beat a dead horse!!

Franklin's defense has proven themselves over the course of the season.

They stopped J. Seward at Hillsboro (yes, it was only 3.5 quarters)

They held Pettigrew from Indy to 26 yards (he's done much better against almost everyone else)

And, they stopped Hillsboro 5 times... yes, 5... inside the 5 yard line. That setup the Rebels' 99-yard game-tying TD.

This defense is legit, and has proven to shut down great RBs from your region in recent playoff seasons (Lamarcus Coker, Preston Brown - both from Antioch)

Coach Webb will have his defense ready to stop White.

Total yards OFFENSE

vs. McCallie.- 247 yds.

vs. McGavock.- 337 yds.

vs. Brentwood.- 200 yds.

very nice post i have to say...

Just make sure to check in on the game and just go ahead and see what happens... (I'm itching for another chance at Brentwood in week 2 hopefully), but lets focus on here and now...

(and just leave the freaking punt return alone... did it affect the outcome, NO, so just chill all of you guys