Father Ryan at Memphis University School

statebound

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mus has 6 shutouts this season all ready. and i dont believe the trip is that big of an impact, didnt mus beat ryan 33-0 at ryan's homecoming in 04?

who did MUS shutout this season? I don't really know what happened in 04, but we are in 07 now. i don't really think what happened in 04 means anything to what will happen in 07

mus has 6 shutouts this season all ready. and i dont believe the trip is that big of an impact, didnt mus beat ryan 33-0 at ryan's homecoming in 04?

The only team that was worth a flip that they shutout was ECS. The other five-Briarcrest,St. Benedict, and the 3 Memphis city school teams that they played are horrible. One of those teams-Memphis Northside-they only beat 42-0. A horrible Memphis East team beat the same Northside team 63-0.

The boys are overrated. Would not surprise me if Ryan won despite the trip to Memphis

The only team that was worth a flip that they shutout was ECS. The other five-Briarcrest,St. Benedict, and the 3 Memphis city school teams that they played are horrible. One of those teams-Memphis Northside-they only beat 42-0. A horrible Memphis East team beat the same Northside team 63-0.

The boys are overrated. Would not surprise me if Ryan won despite the trip to Memphis

Not only will FR have to overcome "Trailways Malaise" traveling to Memphis, but it will have to factor in arrogant and incompetent officials when playing in Memphis. Speaking from experience...Memphis officiating is worth about 7 points to the Memphis team when playing against a team from outside Memphis.

There is one particular referee in Memphis known to Middle Tennessee high school coaches as being notorious. Everyone asks that he not be assigned to their game. But his supervisor feels he has to put him somewhere. But his ref learns that he has been blackballed by the opposing coach he gets revenge. If this guy is the referee, the FR boys should assume that at the opening kickoff they have about 14 points to make up. Hit the field with that attitude and you will be much less likely to lose your poise when every other big play is called back due to a penalty. (Also, there will be a call you have never seen made before; trust me on this one.)

The most common way this referee "tilts the field" is by calling either holding in the O-line, or, illegal formation - too many men in the backfield. (The offensive tackles should be very careful that they are on the line of scrimmage. Do not line up a half step back in the backfield like you are allowed to do in Middle Tennessee high school ball.)

He calls holding very tightly for the visiting team's players while the home team is allowed to put on a clinic on how to hold and get away with it. (FR coaches may want to show video clips of the blocking techniques used by the home team and mimic them.) More than likely the Memphis officials will interpret the blocking / holding rule like you you have never seen it interpreted before. He will throw more flags on your team than the other officials combined.

During the game, you will witness never before seen interpretations of the pass interference rule, the illegal use of hands rule, the block in the back and blocking below the knees rules. You will also be hit with at least one illegal substitution penalty (which will probably be the first time anyone has ever called that one on your team this season.)

Player's fathers should remember not leave the stands for the field, no matter what! Assistant coaches should not utter a word to the referees; just ignore them. If you don't, they will call back-to-back-to-back penalties on you for unsportsmanlike conduct. Expect anywhere from 15 to 20 penalties to be called on you throughout the game. Don't protest or lose your cool; just rise above it. You will leave Memphis stunned; vowing never to travel to Memphis again. All football games are not officiated fairly.