2A playoffs

LSMFT

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. There are several intra-regional rematches in the first round.

I thought the Z Plan was a good idea and had alot of potential, but rematches from the same regions in the first round aren't any good. There should be some guidelines to make the matchups more attractive for first round games in my opinion. I can't imagine Richland fans traveling very well to Lewis County for that rematch. I think the difference between a 7 seed and an 8 seed or a 5 seed and a 6 seed should be small enough that they can be swapped to avoid region rematches.

Sometimes, it doesn't seem like alot of forethought and logic is put into this stuff. It's not rocket science. The seeding shouldn't be so specific that some power ratings couldn't be employed. I mean CPA is by far the strongest 6 seed in this thing. They're stronger than most of the 3 seeds (other than Goodpasture, who is one of the top 3 teams in 2A). I can see rewared the region winners with a top seed. After that, a more subjective seeding that would allow for more desireable matchups would seem to be in order.

Yep. There are several intra-regional rematches in the first round.

I thought the Z Plan was a good idea and had alot of potential, but rematches from the same regions in the first round aren't any good. There should be some guidelines to make the matchups more attractive for first round games in my opinion. I can't imagine Richland fans traveling very well to Lewis County for that rematch. I think the difference between a 7 seed and an 8 seed or a 5 seed and a 6 seed should be small enough that they can be swapped to avoid region rematches.

Sometimes, it doesn't seem like alot of forethought and logic is put into this stuff. It's not rocket science. The seeding shouldn't be so specific that some power ratings couldn't be employed. I mean CPA is by far the strongest 6 seed in this thing. They're stronger than most of the 3 seeds (other than Goodpasture, who is one of the top 3 teams in 2A). I can see rewared the region winners with a top seed. After that, a more subjective seeding that would allow for more desireable matchups would seem to be in order.

In region 8--Milan is playing JCS, and Huntingdon is playing Westview...again. These are the 4 best in the region, and should have been rewarded with something better than this. Huntingdon, the #4 seed, got the best draw of the entire quadrant, playing a 3-7 Westwood team. The Z-plan is a joke!

In region 8--Milan is playing JCS, and Huntingdon is playing Westview...again. These are the 4 best in the region, and should have been rewarded with something better than this. Huntingdon, the #4 seed, got the best draw of the entire quadrant, playing a 3-7 Westwood team. The Z-plan is a joke!

I like it!!!

Huntingdon is not playing Westview. Peabody is playing Westview.

Huntingdon did make out like a bandit with their actual draw.

I like it!!!

Yeah some people will like the setup. Its not fair to the kids in this area and our region who have busted their humps all year playing the best teams in the AA classification to be rewarded by having to play them again. While you aregonna have some far less talented teams moving on because of watered down and weak regions. Dont punish our kids because we play in the toughest region by having them sit back and watch weaker teams move on because oftheir geographical location. I'm dont know that the State Champion will come from this region, but I assure you that there is not a tougher region the state.. We really should have had a 5th team to make it in the playoffs, If Humboldt would have been in alot of the other regions of the state, they would have been region champs, andthey were our 5th place team. The TSSAA has screwed this up even worse than I thought they were capable of doing when I heard it would be in their hands.

Yeah some people will like the setup. Its not fair to the kids in this area and our region who have busted their humps all year playing the best teams in the AA classification to be rewarded by having to play them again. While you aregonna have some far less talented teams moving on because of watered down and weak regions. Dont punish our kids because we play in the toughest region by having them sit back and watch weaker teams move on because oftheir geographical location. I'm dont know that the State Champion will come from this region, but I assure you that there is not a tougher region the state.. We really should have had a 5th team to make it in the playoffs, If Humboldt would have been in alot of the other regions of the state, they would have been region champs, andthey were our 5th place team. The TSSAA has screwed this up even worse than I thought they were capable of doing when I heard it would be in their hands.

That's always been the case. It's like that now in the other 4 classes. There will be some 4 seeds that beat 1 seeds. There will also be several 3 seeds over 2 seeds. We have played our own region again in the 2nd and 3rd rounds more than once. Others have too. Nah...the big stink is because Goodpasture just happened to be paired with CPA in the 1st round. Goodpasture is a 3 seed because they slipped up and lost to DCA. CPA is a 6 seed because they played a murderous non-region schedule that resulted in 3 losses. They probably would have met in the 2nd round under the old system. Now...if two #1's were paired with each other...there might be a gripe. In reality...Goodpasture is a 2 seed and CPA is a 3 seed in their region.

Humboldt was 5th in their region. Do you really think they should have made the playoffs? They almost did.

True. You can't avoid rematches the further you go along. You CAN avoid them in the first round. Particulary the 1 vs 8 and 2 vs 7 matchups with region rivals. TSSAA is killing the gate and slitting their own throat. Goodpasture/CPA will still be a good draw because they are 2 of the top 5 teams in the state in 2A. Lewis County/Richland is going to be a yawner and the non parents and students are not likely to show up. If an 8 seed like Richland is playing, say a Milan, there's at least the possibility for the Richland fans to see another good football team. Something different. A rematch from week 7 or 8 or whatever it was? Heck no. I'm staying at home if I'm a Richland fan who doesn't have a kid starting.

I thought the seeding would be a little more subjective. I thought the Z Plan had a lot of possibilities to stir things up. My gripe with the old setup was the same old regions played each other year in and year out in the first 2 rounds. The only thing worse than that is playing the same old teams from your own region for a second time in the same season. Congratulations TSSAA.........it's worse. At least it is this year.

My thoughts are this: 1) they just played last week, 2) they are in the same region, 3) money gate for the TSSAA. This is not right. No team that makes the playoffs should play the same team in the first round that they played in week 10, unless it was a nonregion game in week 10. Why in the name of heaven would you pair up two teams from the same region in the first round of the playoffs? I have heard that the TSSAA changed the playoffs 7-8 years ago to cut down on travel, i.e. to make more money for there pockets.

Why does the TSSAA get 50% of the gate? What does that money go towards?

Well, the logic of it is that the teams are bracketed geographically and seeded according to region finish and record. It's inevitable that if you stick 4 teams from region 1 and 4 from region 2 in the same bracket, that some of those teams are going to face each other in round 2. I just don't agree with rematches in the first round. The argument is that all of the 7 seeds are not wild cards, but the reality is that there's not much difference between a 7 and an 8 if it means avoiding a rematch. Same for the 5 and 6 seeds. Not much you can do with 1 through 4's.

The TSSAA has to be funded in some way. Post season or special game is the way. I don't have a problem with that.