Cane Ridge

Croach

Guest workinprogress

You have to put in a few more years in metro to truly understand the SSDD stuff. Great athletes can make coaches look better than they are. This is obvious. Look at the Univ. of Miami in Fla. They have tremendous talent don't they? Yet they were embarassed the other night by a less talented Virginia team with less athletes. Discipline and an administration that is truly supportive is crucial to a teams on the field success. Fast athletes can often go the wrong way very quickly and get you beat. MBA, Lipscomb and Maryville usually beat teams with better athletes each and every week. A magnet school football team in Metro would be quite humorous unless Hume-Fogg, East Lit, MLK, and NSA all played for the same team and they still would be terrible imo.

NCS did Gregg and his boys pull out six years in a row yesterday?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there will be continue to be a few bright spots in metro, the metro public schools and the social experiment they arose from are a failure. With the current moronic administration in place on bransford there is no hope for change any time soon. This applies directly to the overall state of athletics in metro. Boys, I was in metro before it was metro. Furtunately, I got out while the getting was good. You guys are paying the price for the ignorance of others. Cane Ridge will be no better off simply because it is new. It will be nickle and dimed, and with luck will have decent grass an the football field in less than 4 years. Your boss is one of the most inept directors around the country and is known as that. You are stuck with him because no one else will hire him. To hide his own incompetence, he has surrounded himself with those who are even more incompetent.

Good luck and bless you for even trying to work and coach in such a dismal situation.

I have a question for WIP, RuntheBall, BigChief, Moonwink, Nununu, and the rest of you guys.

What is the solution for Metro athletics? It baffles me that so many of these teams are so bad, when the material that walks the hall, athletically, is far superior to many teams that routinely beat them like a drum. Here are my perceived reasons for the issue:

1. Let's just call it like I see it. Socio-economics. So many kids in the inner-city are growing up close to that poverty line. Kids are having kids and don't have the necessary means to support them, and never catch up.

2. This leads to kids, who feel left out if they don't have the Playstation 3's, 20" rims, and bling-bling, out on the street hustling (which rarely ends good), or the good kids get a job and are just constrained by wanting to "have things", when what they should be having is a well-rounded childhood. I feel kind of bad for talking about this stuff because I was lucky. We weren't rich, but I was never concerned about my next meal. I was lucky enough to have the newest Air Max 95's or Jordan's, but in hindsight, I feel like I contributed to the monster without having to sweat for it myself in some cases.

3. Unsupportive parenting. The parents may love their kid, but they are working, or its a single-parent home where mom is working two jobs to keep things floating. They are too caught up in that to see that football can be great, and fairly cheap (if you want to keep it real) lifeskill instruction for many youngsters. I thank God for my raising everyday. My folks split when I was 11 years old, but they both made time for me. My dad came to practices, both parents talked to my teachers and coaches, knew my friends and my teammates, kicked my butt when I needed it......it has always amazed me how bad some kids have it in this respect.

4. Lack of administrative support. One of the things that has impressed me about Rutherford County in the last 10 years is their almost universal commitment to being successful in athletics. Like my grandfather used to say about professors complaining about Phil Fulmer making over $1,000,000; "105,000 don't pay to see you square your hypotenuse every Saturday". Doesn't make it right, but successful athletics is the best way to sell your institution to a mass market. I don't know how many thousand were at the Smyrna-LaVergne game last month, but it was a bunch. Man, I remember when Antioch and Overton was like that. Its a money maker and a good bragging rights tool. I don't know why Metro never got that.

5. The lack of community schools. Look, as a black person, I understand why they did what they did. However, it has had a negative effect on the support of all schools, inner-city and suburban. Whoever thought the McGavock cluster____ was a good idea 30 years ago was out back chiefing with LaMarcus Coker, Ricky Williams, and hitting a bump with Martina Hingis!!! Ditto with Hunters Lane, but not quite as bad. You closed three or four great schools to create one cluster. There is just no other way to put it. What they did to Antioch stunk too. I don't even really identify with my alma mater. And to be honest, the neighborhood I grew up in will be a Cane Ridge zone. Its amazing that 18 years ago, there was a groundswell to close Antioch High School because it was too white, LOL!!! This was something that was taking care of itself over time.

Anyways, I don't get to post on here that often, but its slow around here this morning and wanted to get you guys' thoughts on if there are some solutions to this epidemic that I will call, Metro underachievement.

I have a question for WIP, RuntheBall, BigChief, Moonwink, Nununu, and the rest of you guys.

What is the solution for Metro athletics? It baffles me that so many of these teams are so bad, when the material that walks the hall, athletically, is far superior to many teams that routinely beat them like a drum. Here are my perceived reasons for the issue:

1. Let's just call it like I see it. Socio-economics. So many kids in the inner-city are growing up close to that poverty line. Kids are having kids and don't have the necessary means to support them, and never catch up.

2. This leads to kids, who feel left out if they don't have the Playstation 3's, 20" rims, and bling-bling, out on the street hustling (which rarely ends good), or the good kids get a job and are just constrained by wanting to "have things", when what they should be having is a well-rounded childhood. I feel kind of bad for talking about this stuff because I was lucky. We weren't rich, but I was never concerned about my next meal. I was lucky enough to have the newest Air Max 95's or Jordan's, but in hindsight, I feel like I contributed to the monster without having to sweat for it myself in some cases.

3. Unsupportive parenting. The parents may love their kid, but they are working, or its a single-parent home where mom is working two jobs to keep things floating. They are too caught up in that to see that football can be great, and fairly cheap (if you want to keep it real) lifeskill instruction for many youngsters. I thank God for my raising everyday. My folks split when I was 11 years old, but they both made time for me. My dad came to practices, both parents talked to my teachers and coaches, knew my friends and my teammates, kicked my butt when I needed it......it has always amazed me how bad some kids have it in this respect.

4. Lack of administrative support. One of the things that has impressed me about Rutherford County in the last 10 years is their almost universal commitment to being successful in athletics. Like my grandfather used to say about professors complaining about Phil Fulmer making over $1,000,000; "105,000 don't pay to see you square your hypotenuse every Saturday". Doesn't make it right, but successful athletics is the best way to sell your institution to a mass market. I don't know how many thousand were at the Smyrna-LaVergne game last month, but it was a bunch. Man, I remember when Antioch and Overton was like that. Its a money maker and a good bragging rights tool. I don't know why Metro never got that.

5. The lack of community schools. Look, as a black person, I understand why they did what they did. However, it has had a negative effect on the support of all schools, inner-city and suburban. Whoever thought the McGavock cluster____ was a good idea 30 years ago was out back chiefing with LaMarcus Coker, Ricky Williams, and hitting a bump with Martina Hingis!!! Ditto with Hunters Lane, but not quite as bad. You closed three or four great schools to create one cluster. There is just no other way to put it. What they did to Antioch stunk too. I don't even really identify with my alma mater. And to be honest, the neighborhood I grew up in will be a Cane Ridge zone. Its amazing that 18 years ago, there was a groundswell to close Antioch High School because it was too white, LOL!!! This was something that was taking care of itself over time.

Anyways, I don't get to post on here that often, but its slow around here this morning and wanted to get you guys' thoughts on if there are some solutions to this epidemic that I will call, Metro underachievement.

You seem to have a good handle on how things are and why they are the way that they are. Until we have true neighborhood schools, the trend to move outside of davidson county will continue. Only the wealthy who are willing to pony up the $$$ to send their kids to privates will remain in the county. The school board will not change the way they think anytime soon. SSDD

The answer to your first question is yes,they could coach at the schools mentioned. You think Daniel McGugin ,Ricky Bowers, Aydelott, Blade, BA coach, and others are winning because they are better coaches? My question to you is could they win at Glencliff, Hillwood, Red Boiling Springs? Probably not, and yes alot of coaches could win at the 5A powers and the D2 super seven. But we will never know. Is is not amazing that when teams win they seem to have great players. Name one coach who has won without players.

Yes, those men would win at Glencliff and Hillwood. Remember that you have open zones in Metro and the players would run to play for them? Don't forget that Hillsboro was a bad program before RA took over as the head coach and taught them how to win. I don't understand what the problem is at RBS so I shouldn't even try to make a statement.

Guest workinprogress

Good post Quack. I start by saying that with almost every statement that you made the main answer is that time and people have changed. Its that simple. Most kids are close to that poverty line like you said while others are spoiled rotten. Most of the kids I see are more on the spoiled side. Not many of my kids want for anything. As for the parenting issue I feel like this has changed dramatically from when I grew up. When I grew up divorced parents were the abnormal. Now married parents are the abnormal. Most of my kids have step families or one of their parents are in jail or dead. There are so many of my young men who do not have a positive male role model and so many of them who never see a parent at all because the one who is still around is working his/her butt off. As far as the administrative support I am not quite at the high school level yet. Im still waiting my turn so to speak. I know that my administration supports me but doesnt go out of their way for me either. For example I have to bus kids to another school everyday just to practice because the administration wont make a phone call to get metro out here to work on our field. Finally the lack of community schools is big. Seems as if metro is going to keep the whole bussing mess going. There was an article in the paper today about it. People complain about schools being segregated and such. I guess they dont see that the big problem is not really race anymore its what color you wear on your back thats the problem. Back when I was in school we were probably the last ones to still have neighborhood schools. It was nothing to go to an Antioch v Overton game or Overton v Hillsboro game and see both sets of stands packed. Last week when Antioch played DC DC brought more fans. Sad. As far as answers to all of this. First I would make the school zones focused at proximity rather than colors. Second, close down all businesses and restaurants at 5:00 on Fridays. People will smell the grills at the neighborhood schools and come running. I would also make it mandatory that all students compete in at least one sport per semester. None of these will happen but it would help imo. I dont think things are going to change for a long time. I see it as more of a challenge and I kindof like it. Having these "problems" also give you a chance to make more of a difference in kids lives.

Guest workinprogress

Yes, those men would win at Glencliff and Hillwood. Remember that you have open zones in Metro and the players would run to play for them? Remember that Hillsboro was a bad program before RA took over as the head coach and taught them how to win. I don't understand what the problem is at RBS so I shouldn't even try to make a statement.

Open zoned schools do not include Hillwood or Glencliff. These men would not win at these schools.

Open zoned schools do not include Hillwood or Glencliff. These men would not win at these schools.

What kind of dope are you smoking? You simply take a class that your "zoned school" does not offer and all of the schools offer a class that the others don't offer. The only negative is that you have to furnish your own transporation but you have kids from Hermitage attending Hillsboro which has to be a 45 minute drive during the Nashville morning trafic.

What kind of dope are you smoking? You simply take a class that your "zoned school" does not offer and all of the schools offer a class that the others don't offer. The only negative is that you have to furnish your own transporation but you have kids from Hermitage attending Hillsboro which has to be a 45 minute drive during the Nashville morning trafic.

I believe that Hillwood is now an open enrollment school. Not that any parent in their right mind would choose to send their child to that gang-infiltrated war zone anyway. Hillwood should soon be taken over by the state due to the violence and rapidly declining test scores. An entire staff of quality coaches (8 -10) could possibly win some games at Hillwood and Glencliff but would go nuts with the day to day nonsense that each school has to deal with. Schedule the 3 non-region games with AAA teams that you would match up with instead of AAAAA / DII powerhouses.

Glencliff does not offer any classes that are not offered at other metro schools. So that wont work for them. Its the same with Hillboro. Too small and not enough course offerings to make that a viable option.

RA won at Hillsboro because the zoned changed. Glencliff lost its neighborhood pocket of athletes to Hillboro. Glencliff from then on couldnt buy a win. Hillsboro has won ever since.

Could RA put a good team on the field at a Glencliff? Not any better than what GA has done. Watch what will happen in Riverdale in the next 2-3 years. Riverdale does not have the incoming talent it has enjoyed for years. They will be good and they will be competitive, but they wont be the same Riverdale of the last 10 years. Ron is a good coach, but he has done well by being in schools with great talent, great timing on his part.