Henry County vs Fairley

Red Dawn

I like the poem, however, I remember when this was a football thread and the topic was football, it has been depressing the past two home games at Patriot stadium as the crowd has been sparse. ALl I have read this week is about bands and Hank,

I personally will take randy long on his mega horn and the Patriots thumping whoever is across the field from them but all this talk about bands this week makes me wonder what kind of football fans we have on here.

I can assure you one thing, that without the football game, none of this other crap wouuld be happening. THere is a 10-1 Henry county football team playing tonight and people are more concerned with whether or not the Fairley band is going to be in Paris tonight, go rent drum line an watch it, crank your radio up if loud music is what you want, but please stop begging for an opponents band to appear, it makes me sick because when I moved here, people told me it was a football town, we made the state semifinals last year and oh what an atmosphere, the crowd was just as it should be, (after some prodding by a sports writer in the local paper). I was told this summer that if we had a team that was to win all seasonlong that the crowds would be even larger, it seems as if the more we win the less the crowd is. I am starting to think what we have in Paris is a bunch of flute players.

Although I appreciate the band from Fairley. I agree with ya. Without the game the other attractions would be mute. We need a large crowd there tonight. We need as many people at the game as there were locusts coming into Egypt in the days of Moses. Asea of Red from one goal post to the next. In a town of hunters I would hope that we don't let a thing like a little cold from keeping us from the game!

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch! That was pretty brutal there prophet. All these other things happening are meant to increase the atmosphere of the game. And personally, that's what I think it is doing, not distracting from the game itself. I am about as die hard of a football fan as it gets, and to me having a good band (whether ours or the opposing team's) along with something cool going on in the pregame is part of the fun on Friday Nights. Its the whole package that makes it an incredible atmosphere. And on another note, unfortunately some fans are just fickle and there's not much we can do about it except be the faithful example. Even at our worst this year, after the lights went out at the JNS game, we still had more than double the attendance of a typical 2001-2003 game. So don't worry too much, you will see even larger crowds... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I know that they are there to increase participation and like I said they create a good atmosphere but, I am TIRED OF READING ABOUT AN OPPOSING BAND WHEN WE HAVE AN EXCELLENT FOOTBALL GAME THAT IS GOING TO BE PLAYED TONIGHT. HITEM HARD, DONT BLOWEM HARD

Well, is Failey's band coming tonight?

Wonder if the football players could form a tunnel and let the band members run out on the field? I can hear it now, "And playing 2nd Flute, a senior "BIG LUNGS" Looooooooohan"

Seriously - we need a big crowd. This will be a tough game. I'm sure BIG RED is READY for some FOOTBALL!

If it turns into a score-fest, i like our chances. Don't want a 10-7 game (unless we are 10 - ha)

Join the crowd, my "Disappointedly Deliverringless-Palefully Nashvolvingly-YANKERFUL Frequently" friend!! Disappointment settles in Henryland as the news spreads...but get over it please...and get your mind on the game...as hard as that may be. The twelve dollars is not the problem...the YANKER simply hates all other seasons beyond football season!!! I may join, however, just to converse with you and VG!!!!! I AM THE YANKER...and there will NEVER be another like me!!!!!

It will be football talk, without the nonsense interventions. And, you know, your identity will remain unknown to me.

As I so bluntly said before, I don't care if either band EVER shows up! Now Hank Williams Jr. is a different story. I can't imagine that he would stay long, if he comes, but I am a HUGE fan! The only thing I like more than his music, is FOOTBALL! I hope the crowd is big. I wonder sometimes if your little community knows what it's got.

I know that they are there to increase participation and like I said they create a good atmosphere but, I am TIRED OF READING ABOUT AN OPPOSING BAND WHEN WE HAVE AN EXCELLENT FOOTBALL GAME THAT IS GOING TO BE PLAYED TONIGHT. HITEM HARD, DONT BLOWEM HARD

Quite frankly ... I love to see and hear a good band at high school football games. But then again I've been spoiled to see Whitehaven's high school band which, in my opinion, is the best 'showband' in the City of Memphis ... I'll take that one further ... in all Tenneessee high schools. It excells from sound quality, sound quantity, showmanship, and formation design. I, for one, greatly appreciate the Whitehaven band ... and the band of the opposing school if they perform. I make it a point to cheer loudly when the band finishes, whether it's the home team band or the visting schools band, to show my appreciation for their hard work. I have four sons that range in age from 7 years old to 13 years old. Some of my sons could care less about the game ... but they stop what they are doing and watch intently when the Whitehaven band takes the field. I have one son who now wants to play the saxaphone and was greatly pleased when he found out that university's give out music scholarships as well as athletic and academic scholarships. He is now inspired ... not by the players in football uniforms, but by the players in the band uniforms. Inspiring a young child is always a good thing to me. Watching and listening to a marching band is a part of the Friday night experience that I greatly enjoy. It's not necessary, but I think it adds significantly to the Friday night experience, along with the cheerleaders, the concession stands, the PA announcer, etc., etc. Of course ... it all starts with game on the field ... but the other extra stuff just makes the game more enjoyable to me.

My two cents worth on this topic.

Quite frankly ... I love to see and hear a good band at high school football games. But then again I've been spoiled to see Whitehaven's high school band which, in my opinion, is the best 'showband' in the City of Memphis ... I'll take that one further ... in all Tenneessee high schools. It excells from sound quality, sound quantity, showmanship, and formation design. I, for one, greatly appreciate the Whitehaven band ... and the band of the opposing school if they perform. I make it a point to cheer loudly when the band finishes, whether it's the home team band or the visting schools band, to show my appreciation for their hard work. I have four sons that range in age from 7 years old to 13 years old. Some of my sons could care less about the game ... but they stop what they are doing and watch intently when the Whitehaven band takes the field. I have one son who now wants to play the saxaphone and was greatly pleased when he found out that university's give out music scholarships as well as athletic and academic scholarships. He is now inspired ... not by the players in football uniforms, but by the players in the band uniforms. Inspiring a young child is always a good thing to me. Watching and listening to a marching band is a part of the Friday night experience that I greatly enjoy. It's not necessary, but I think it adds significantly to the Friday night experience, along with the cheerleaders, the concession stands, the PA announcer, etc., etc. Of course ... it all starts with game on the field ... but the other extra stuff just makes the game more enjoyable to me.

Your opinion is most likely the appropriate one and mine is wrong, but it is mine. I am just a PURE football fan, and I enjoy little else. I like to eat, I love country music, and I love football. As usual, thanks for your post.

Good post. I have talked to a few players and they have said they want the fairley band to come too. Its like warm up music in basketball. It gets the players ready to play.

Good post. I have talked to a few players and they have said they want the fairley band to come too. Its like warm up music in basketball. It gets the players ready to play.

From the perspective of an "old and retired" coach, if the Henry County players are even "a little" concerned about whether the Fairley band is coming, or not, then the Patriots are in big trouble. It shouldn't even cross their minds. This is the second round of the STATE PLAYOFFS! Are you telling me that the players need the Fairley band to help them get ready to play? If players truly said this, I hope, for the sake of the coaches and the team, that is was some players who will NEVER set foot on the field!

From the perspective of an "old and retired" coach, if the Henry County players are even "a little" concerned about whether the Fairley band is coming, or not, then the Patriots are in big trouble. It shouldn't even cross their minds. This is the second round of the STATE PLAYOFFS! Are you telling me that the players need the Fairley band to help them get ready to play? If players truly said this, I hope, for the sake of the coaches and the team, that is was some players who will NEVER set foot on the field!

They could care less if the band comes but it gets them more excited to play. I remember when i played basketball, i already was excited to play but when they put on some good music it would get me even more ready to play. And it also calms you down to where your not over excited. Just my perspective on the present day athletes. If you go into a locker room about 2 hours before a game 80 percent of players are listening to music.