McCallie and Temple hall of fame game

RobertPaulson

McCallie wins by 12. McCallie was up 43 - 40 at the end of the 3rd, but must have made 15 free throws in the 4th to pull away. Temple looked pretty good defensively, but struggled offensively. Give credit to McCallie's good defense. Temple didn't get many open shots. I'm guessing Sexton had 30.

Not a bad 1st game for Temple, considering the competition. I think we'll be okay.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good competitive game. I was surprised at the number of good shooters McCallie has and they had 3 guys out last night. They are going to have a good year.

Sexton is the real deal but it appeared to me they rely too much on him. He is so good that they don't seem to get the rest of the players involved much on the ofensive end.

As anticipayed, McCallie's depth was far superior and wore the Crusaders down over the course of the game..

Not a bad 1st game for Temple, considering the competition. I think we'll be okay.

I agree. For our boys to have come straight from the football field, a little over a week ago, to the basketball court, they did quite well against an always good McCallie team and one of the top coaches in the city. Two years ago, when Seth, Josh, and Dee were juniors, they played McCallie about as well as the boys did last night.

The starters played a strong defense but were a little off on offense as far as the outside shooting. After reading the paper this morning, I could not understand Mr. Markham's comments about Temple's defense, it was the bright spot in my opinion. The offense was good but not as good as we all know that it will be within a few more weeks. It did not seem to me that our boys took any bad shots, they just did not connect as often as they normally do. They are coming together. There is still a lot work that needs to happen to get the players on target mentally. There was one good athlete off the bench who just did not seem to know where he was or what he was supposed to be doing. Quite honestly, he looked lost and confused on the court.

From what I could tell, cohesiveness is developing but it has not yet spread far enough to include all the players. Someone commented about Sexton doing too much and not involving other players. He may be guilty, but you have to admit that whenever he did whatever he did, it worked most of the time.

Why weren't seth wadley and Joey Skogen playing? I thought they were eligible?? That will certainly help mcallie out a bunch....

Anyways- thought our boys looked good...I think they will slowly grow together- someone I think used the word cohesiveness...I think that is a good word...all the temple teams have grown AS TEAMS throughout the year and gotten much much better...I think that will happen again...

I agree. For our boys to have come straight from the football field, a little over a week ago, to the basketball court, they did quite well against an always good McCallie team and one of the top coaches in the city. Two years ago, when Seth, Josh, and Dee were juniors, they played McCallie about as well as the boys did last night.

The starters played a strong defense but were a little off on offense as far as the outside shooting. After reading the paper this morning, I could not understand Mr. Markham's comments about Temple's defense, it was the bright spot in my opinion. The offense was good but not as good as we all know that it will be within a few more weeks. It did not seem to me that our boys took any bad shots, they just did not connect as often as they normally do. They are coming together. There is still a lot work that needs to happen to get the players on target mentally. There was one good athlete off the bench who just did not seem to know where he was or what he was supposed to be doing. Quite honestly, he looked lost and confused on the court.

From what I could tell, cohesiveness is developing but it has not yet spread far enough to include all the players. Someone commented about Sexton doing too much and not involving other players. He may be guilty, but you have to admit that whenever he did whatever he did, it worked most of the time.

My comment about Sexton "doing too much" was not a criticism of him. He is really good but if the other guys watch him too much and don't get into the offensive flow, it ends up hurting Sexton. Temple always plays good cohensive basketball and they will come around. Don't forget it's still very early.

Why weren't seth wadley and Joey Skogen playing? I thought they were eligible?? That will certainly help mcallie out a bunch....

Anyways- thought our boys looked good...I think they will slowly grow together- someone I think used the word cohesiveness...I think that is a good word...all the temple teams have grown AS TEAMS throughout the year and gotten much much better...I think that will happen again...

From what I was told they will be able to play in the next couple of weeks. It had something to do with the dates they transferred to McCallie from Temple last year. They had to wait a full year to be eligible.

The starters played a strong defense but were a little off on offense as far as the outside shooting. After reading the paper this morning, I could not understand Mr. Markham's comments about Temple's defense, it was the bright spot in my opinion.

Coach Marcum obviously has a much higher standard for defense than we do, which is great.

I was glad to see 8 guys get significant playing time. Each of the 3 that saw a bunch of minutes off the bench showed some skills I didn't know they had.

My comment about Sexton "doing too much" was not a criticism of him. He is really good but if the other guys watch him too much and don't get into the offensive flow, it ends up hurting Sexton. Temple always plays good cohensive basketball and they will come around. Don't forget it's still very early.

I did not read it as a criticism but I was not entirely sure what you meant. After reading the game summary on Temple's website, a "glaring" stat was the low number of assists. There were only five and Sexton had four of those. Another glaring stat was the number of threes attempted compared to how many actually hit.

Coach Marcum obviously has a much higher standard for defense than we do, which is great.

I was glad to see 8 guys get significant playing time. Each of the 3 that saw a bunch of minutes off the bench showed some skills I didn't know they had.

I had not thought about it from that angle.

Personally, I was impressed with the defense. It seemed to be of the same caliber that we at Temple have become accustomed to and really do not know where we could have improved much, but if Markham does have higher expectations for the defense, that is really great! It just seemed odd to me that he would speak so negatively about our defense when it was our offense that was off.