New 2-aa playoff system?

GIBSONJ

Soccer Dad I agree with you especially for your region. DCA goes east ... CPA and GP go west and face each other in the first round. Each with a good record, but neither a region champion thus a lower seed. If one of you had been a wild card you both would have been better off and faced each other later. Maybe round 3. If only the top two got a spot and the rest were filled with wild cards it would make for an interesting setup, but like Antwan said "Not going to happen"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may not be able to back up my allegations, but nor can you deny them. If I lived in Nashville and my kids were good enough would I have them at Goodpasture or DCA? You bet I would! No doubt! But I don't, and the only private school with a football team close is in Jackson so don't patronise me with your holier than thou attitude. The facts are the facts and thats the way it is. I don't want to debate this here nor will I. Nuff SAID!

Crunch!

What facts? If you lived in the Nashville area and wanted a free ride or even financial assistance because your child was a good athlete, you could go division 2. My son goes to a private school and is a starter on both sides of the ball and if you want me to show you my checkbook of the check I write every month, list your email address and I will send it to you. I am so tired of people playing the card of we give finacial assistance and recruit. PLEASE find another excuse....

I was one that thought the Z Plan had a lot of potential. But the brackets are screwed. I don't like the same regions competing against each other year after year either. Really, only the westernmost and easternmost teams have a travel issue with each other and the whole state could go north border to south border without too much problem. I'd rather see the state divided into and seeded by one of the computer models. Region standing isn't the best measure of strength as witnessed by CPA and Goodpasture playing each other in the first round. That's a semi final game if I ever saw one. Lewis County plays two region opponents in the first 2 rounds. I would rather seed the teams to guarantee that teams don't play teams from the same region in round 1 anyway. Nashville teams can travel more readily than anyone. There's 3 interstates running through Davidson County. You can go to Memphis or Knoxville in around 3 hours. Teams along any interstate corridor can travel more easily than the ones in the boonies. Geography doesn't have much to do with it. Division II travels across the state all the time. Travel time is more important than travel distance if you're going to use travel as a parameter.

I don't care how many regions there are, but there needs to be a limit on the number of teams in a region. I agree that 2A teams would be crazy to schedule higher classifications unless they're cupcakes since overall record plays into who goes and who stays. What did playing a tougher schedule do for CPA? They got to play Goodpasture again as a 6 seed after being ranked in the top 5 in their classification all year.

I was one that thought the Z Plan had a lot of potential. But the brackets are screwed. I don't like the same regions competing against each other year after year either. Really, only the westernmost and easternmost teams have a travel issue with each other and the whole state could go north border to south border without too much problem. I'd rather see the state divided into and seeded by one of the computer models. Region standing isn't the best measure of strength as witnessed by CPA and Goodpasture playing each other in the first round. That's a semi final game if I ever saw one. Lewis County plays two region opponents in the first 2 rounds. I would rather seed the teams to guarantee that teams don't play teams from the same region in round 1 anyway. Nashville teams can travel more readily than anyone. There's 3 interstates running through Davidson County. You can go to Memphis or Knoxville in around 3 hours. Teams along any interstate corridor can travel more easily than the ones in the boonies. Geography doesn't have much to do with it. Division II travels across the state all the time. Travel time is more important than travel distance if you're going to use travel as a parameter.

I don't care how many regions there are, but there needs to be a limit on the number of teams in a region. I agree that 2A teams would be crazy to schedule higher classifications unless they're cupcakes since overall record plays into who goes and who stays. What did playing a tougher schedule do for CPA? They got to play Goodpasture again as a 6 seed after being ranked in the top 5 in their classification all year.

I don't think things have changed all that much. We still have to play the same teams we would have played under the old system. It was just moved up one game. We ended up with 3 #1 seeds in our quadrant.

Boyd had to travel as a #2 seed from their region. I don't see too much complaining from our quadrant. The main difference is that several regions had to play each other in the 1st round instead of the 2nd. Travel was reduced in the 1st round. That was the objective of this plan. Some good teams were eliminated in the 1st round instead of the 2nd. It did make a lot of the 1st round games more competitive.

What did such a tough schedule do for CPA...Boyd...Tyner etc? It made them all tougher teams. I don't think CPA would have come so close to beating GP without playing such a tough schedule.

[ I don't like the new playoff system in 2A. In our case we got to play a team we just played two weeks ago. We won that game so we get to play another team in our region in week 2. It used to be we were seeded and would play teams from another reigon. Just think if your going to pay 7$ you should get to see your team play someone they haven't played before. Just my opinion! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

[ I don't like the new playoff system in 2A. In our case we got to play a team we just played two weeks ago. We won that game so we get to play another team in our region in week 2. It used to be we were seeded and would play teams from another reigon. Just think if your going to pay 7$ you should get to see your team play someone they haven't played before. Just my opinion! /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Under the old system you would have played 4-6 South Greene in the 1st round. You would probably have had the same region teams in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I'd say what it got them was one and done. Playing Goodpasture close twice, three weeks apart is not better than playing them close twice 5 weeks apart. You could make an argument that the bracket with CPA and Goodpasture in it had 4 #1 seeds. It's all in how you seed them. Region finish versus power ranking. No way CPA is a 6 seed. Their region finish (3rd) and their overall record got them a 6 seed. Had the 3rd seed not been Goodpasture, they'd have 'upset' the 3 seed.

You can call it a lousy draw. I call it lousy seeding.

I'd say what it got them was one and done. Playing Goodpasture close twice, three weeks apart is not better than playing them close twice 5 weeks apart. You could make an argument that the bracket with CPA and Goodpasture in it had 4 #1 seeds. It's all in how you seed them. Region finish versus power ranking. No way CPA is a 6 seed. Their region finish (3rd) and their overall record got them a 6 seed. Had the 3rd seed not been Goodpasture, they'd have 'upset' the 3 seed.

You can call it a lousy draw. I call it lousy seeding.

GP and CPA played in consecutive weeks...not 3 weeks apart. Under the old system they likely would have played 2 weeks apart.

Lewis County and Camden were the only #1 seeds in that quadrant. GP and CPA were 2 and 3 seeds in their own region. They would have been that under any system.

I think that new playoff system has some advantage, but it also has some disadvantages. It is tough on some teams to come in 2nd in the region and not get to host a first round game. It also puts several 1's and 2's from the same region in rematches during the 2nd round. It needs to be tweaked, but it is a pretty good system.

I think that new playoff system has some advantage, but it also has some disadvantages. It is tough on some teams to come in 2nd in the region and not get to host a first round game. It also puts several 1's and 2's from the same region in rematches during the 2nd round. It needs to be tweaked, but it is a pretty good system.

Another argument is...does a 4-6 team deserve to host a playoff game?

What facts? If you lived in the Nashville area and wanted a free ride or even financial assistance because your child was a good athlete, you could go division 2. My son goes to a private school and is a starter on both sides of the ball and if you want me to show you my checkbook of the check I write every month, list your email address and I will send it to you. I am so tired of people playing the card of we give finacial assistance and recruit. PLEASE find another excuse....

Did I make any mention of financial assistance? All I said was if I lived in the Nashville area, my child was good enough, and I had the financial means.... would I send him to GP or DCA to playball... YES I WOULD! Thats all I was saying. You get great athletes because of your reputation. The kids and parents know that they are going to be playing for a winner. Anyone who could would most likely do that for their kids. Right?