New 2-aa playoff system?

GIBSONJ

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think its horrible!

Horrible would be a good word to use about it... I had some other words but probably dont need to put them on here. It is a shame and a sham.... How many 1st round games matched up teams from the same region. 10 of 16? Teams playing each other back2back weeks from the same region.. Mr. Carter likened it to the excitement of the March madness Selection Show, yeah right!! How many teams paly someone from their own conference until they get to at least the 3rd round. It is a shame and I hope they get it rectified befroe next season and certainly dont do this to the other classifications until they do get it right.

I heard an interview on ESPN radio with a TSSAA rep and he said they would tweak the 2A playoff system a little, but for the most part it would remain unchanged. Coach Mike Mansfield from Huntingdon was very dissatisfied with the current system. I believe his comments were in the Jackson Sun news paper sometime last week. I personally think it would be better (if your going to keep the wild cards) to only take the top two from each region and fill the rest of the spots with wild cards. That way you at least get more teams with winning records. Did any of the region 9AA teams have a winning record? That would have shifted things around quite a bit. Particularly in the West and the Midwest. Of course it may have been Wednesday or Thursday of last week before they got the brackets out. Nothing like finding out Thursday who or where your going to play on Friday! Just my thoughts.

Crunch! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If the 2A playoff revenues dip, they should do something to change this format. It is all about the money.

More games = more money Your exactly right and thats what coach Mansfield of Huntingdon said. We charge $5 for regular season games the TSSAA charges $7. They also get the proceeds for the programs, and last week the team we played Fairview wasn't even in our programs. I have no idea how many people we will have in attendance, but how much of each ticket does the TSSAA get? I've heard $3 goes to TSSAA and the rest is split between the two schools. Is this correct? If it is thats less than what you make during the regular season. By my math anyway! I do like the 9 regions better than 8 though. The last two years we only had 2 non region games. So 8 of your 10 opponents were in your region. If your in a weaker region then you don't have much of a chance to play really good non-region opponents. Why don't they just go back to the top two from each region then.... Answer: more games=more money

Crunch!

More games = more money Your exactly right and thats what coach Mansfield of Huntingdon said. We charge $5 for regular season games the TSSAA charges $7. They also get the proceeds for the programs, and last week the team we played Fairview wasn't even in our programs. I have no idea how many people we will have in attendance, but how much of each ticket does the TSSAA get? I've heard $3 goes to TSSAA and the rest is split between the two schools. Is this correct? If it is thats less than what you make during the regular season. By my math anyway! I do like the 9 regions better than 8 though. The last two years we only had 2 non region games. So 8 of your 10 opponents were in your region. If your in a weaker region then you don't have much of a chance to play really good non-region opponents. Why don't they just go back to the top two from each region then.... Answer: more games=more money

Crunch!

50% of the Gross Receipts (Ticket sales and TV or cable revenue) go to the TSSAA.

Division I Football Play-Off Financial Report

Crunch!

The number of games is the same as the other 4 classes.

Thats right it is the same amount of games. Its the same amount of games that it was last year too. So why change? There must be a motive... Do you think it will stay like this? What if they decide the top four teams from each region should be in the playoffs... why not add wildcards to that. Now how many teams do you have in the playoffs. How many games do you play? I think its a way for them to open up more games and ultimately more money for the TSSAA. How many people do you think went to the first game between CPA and Goodpasture... How many more showed up to the playoff game? Same with Milan/Huntingdon this week and the regular season game? Some folks won't be going to see their teams play this week because the aren't in the playoffs because they got beat by a team in their own region last week. CPA by every right should still be in the picture, but now they are at home. How can you make this right? Do you move the privates schools out and let the public schools play one another? Now we have 8 regions again with only 5 or 6 teams in each and we play like we did last year, except we don't have GP, CPA, DCA, JCS, etc. I kind of like that idea! Why should a public school have to play a school that can pick the best athletes out of a specific geographical area and offer them incentives to come and play athletics for them? It's just not right!