New 2-aa playoff system?

GIBSONJ

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats right it is the same amount of games. Its the same amount of games that it was last year too. So why change? There must be a motive... Do you think it will stay like this? What if they decide the top four teams from each region should be in the playoffs... why not add wildcards to that. Now how many teams do you have in the playoffs. How many games do you play? I think its a way for them to open up more games and ultimately more money for the TSSAA. How many people do you think went to the first game between CPA and Goodpasture... How many more showed up to the playoff game? Same with Milan/Huntingdon this week and the regular season game? Some folks won't be going to see their teams play this week because the aren't in the playoffs because they got beat by a team in their own region last week. CPA by every right should still be in the picture, but now they are at home. How can you make this right? Do you move the privates schools out and let the public schools play one another? Now we have 8 regions again with only 5 or 6 teams in each and we play like we did last year, except we don't have GP, CPA, DCA, JCS, etc. I kind of like that idea! Why should a public school have to play a school that can pick the best athletes out of a specific geographical area and offer them incentives to come and play athletics for them? It's just not right!

Wrong topic. I like the idea, but it will not happen!!! For the most part the playoff format is working. You will never please everyone. There is and always will be a deserving team put out earlier than expected. Get over it and we are not in charge, and if we where, think of what problems there would be then!!! I personaly like the format better than last years. Yes it needs afew twiks and turns, but it was better than before. You all that hate it either you didn't like your schools draw or your one of those people that just can't be satisfide!!!

50% of the Gross Receipts (Ticket sales and TV or cable revenue) go to the TSSAA.

Division I Football Play-Off Financial Report

The other 50% is split equally between the 2 teams playing? That means that Friday night--when we packed the home side of the stadium--we get exactly the same amount as the visitor's who brought 25 fans--right?! Who footed the bill for the lights-etc...??? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I personally hate the new playoff system in 2A.... I feel that I would be good if you could somehow in the playoffs not have to play the same teams you did in the regular season, but the only way that would happen is if schools were willing to drive farther the first few rounds, I think this would make things a little more even....as far as if you had three of the best teams in the state in your region you could maybe make it until like the 3 round or finals before you had to see them again.....I think it would be neat if they Put it back to 8 regions, Then at the end of the season Rank the teams from 1-32 make them play it out like a true playoff, having to go all over the state and facing different teams every year....

The 1st place seeds in the regions are seeds 1-8

The 2nd place seeds are 9-16

The 3rd place seeds are 17-24

the 4th place seeds are 25-32

Do not just make them play within the same two regions every year....Make it true....Make all teams have an even way to win state not have one good team in two regions and they don't play anyone until the 4th round.... I know this sounds a little extreme but if you did this for all classifications I think people would be happier and things would be more even.....A little more distance...but alot more fair for the kids and thats what it really is about....not the TSSAA making a little more money....

Wrong topic. I like the idea, but it will not happen!!! For the most part the playoff format is working. You will never please everyone. There is and always will be a deserving team put out earlier than expected. Get over it and we are not in charge, and if we where, think of what problems there would be then!!! I personaly like the format better than last years. Yes it needs afew twiks and turns, but it was better than before. You all that hate it either you didn't like your schools draw or your one of those people that just can't be satisfide!!!

Sounds like someone who helped make the bracket /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

The other 50% is split equally between the 2 teams playing? That means that Friday night--when we packed the home side of the stadium--we get exactly the same amount as the visitor's who brought 25 fans--right?! Who footed the bill for the lights-etc...??? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Who had to drive 100 miles to get to the game. Who if the lights were too expensive for you would have loved to host the game. Hate that TSSAA gets 50% of the gate but don't hate sharing with another school. Just remember you got to keep all of the concession money.

I'm a 1A fan but I've read just enough about the system to know that everyone seems to not like it. Would everyone like it better if they just seeded the teams based on judgement of TSSAA regardless of Region outcome and let the chips fall where they may? Kinda of like the NCAA does it in basketball?

NO

Do you move the privates schools out and let the public schools play one another? Now we have 8 regions again with only 5 or 6 teams in each and we play like we did last year, except we don't have GP, CPA, DCA, JCS, etc. I kind of like that idea! Why should a public school have to play a school that can pick the best athletes out of a specific geographical area and offer them incentives to come and play athletics for them? It's just not right!

This is not the correct forum for your constant whining about the public v private issue. You have also made some allegations that you can't completely back up with FACTS. Man up and just play football.

I kind of like that idea! Why should a public school have to play a school that can pick the best athletes out of a specific geographical area and offer them incentives to come and play athletics for them? It's just not right!

That's a whole different argument that should be taken up on another board (just scroll down and you'll find it). Anyway, don't lump all private schools together as though they all operate the same. It's the same with publics - there are MANY public schools with open boundries and $$$ to get the best of everything. I think it's more an urban vs. rural issue. Maybe we should devise 3 divisions for: I. County schools II. Schools offering financial assistance (like those those in DII) III. Metropolitan schools (determined by US Census Bureau statistics or something else). So with this system Memphis, Jackson, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, etc. would be division III. This would level the playing field better than seperating public and private.

I probably should have put this in the public/private debate area. But I just wanted you to see other possibilities for fixing the system.

Anyway, the 2A playoff system is very poor! Generally, playoffs are based on the concept of matching lower ranked teams against higher ranked, giving the lower ranked another chance and the higher ranked an opportunity to see opponents they haven't seen during the year. It stirs up a lot of interest to take on someone new. It is then possible for teams to meet again, provided they get past these teams they don't usually play. Meeting each other again for the second time should only happen after you've proved yourself against these new opponents.

The current setup has drained excitement from playoffs - by having great teams bump each other off early, having same region pairings in the first round (the regular season is the place for that), and having teams with losing records make playoffs (while teams with better records stay home).

As a result, teams will most likely schedule what one might call "powder-puff" teams (ones from weaker regions, lower catagories, bad records, etc.) to pad their schedules to help them make the playoffs. Also, why send parts of some regions "east" and some "west"? How about more than two brackets? Use 3 as in the 3 grand divisions of our beloved Tennessee?

I've got more thoughts on this, but I'll share them later. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

This is not the correct forum for your constant whining about the public v private issue. You have also made some allegations that you can't completely back up with FACTS. Man up and just play football.

I may not be able to back up my allegations, but nor can you deny them. If I lived in Nashville and my kids were good enough would I have them at Goodpasture or DCA? You bet I would! No doubt! But I don't, and the only private school with a football team close is in Jackson so don't patronise me with your holier than thou attitude. The facts are the facts and thats the way it is. I don't want to debate this here nor will I. Nuff SAID!

Crunch!