New 2-aa playoff system?

GIBSONJ

Thats right it is the same amount of games. Its the same amount of games that it was last year too. So why change? There must be a motive... Do you think it will stay like this? What if they decide the top four teams from each region should be in the playoffs... why not add wildcards to that. Now how many teams do you have in the playoffs. How many games do you play? I think its a way for them to open up more games and ultimately more money for the TSSAA. How many people do you think went to the first game between CPA and Goodpasture... How many more showed up to the playoff game? Same with Milan/Huntingdon this week and the regular season game? Some folks won't be going to see their teams play this week because the aren't in the playoffs because they got beat by a team in their own region last week. CPA by every right should still be in the picture, but now they are at home. How can you make this right? Do you move the privates schools out and let the public schools play one another? Now we have 8 regions again with only 5 or 6 teams in each and we play like we did last year, except we don't have GP, CPA, DCA, JCS, etc. I kind of like that idea! Why should a public school have to play a school that can pick the best athletes out of a specific geographical area and offer them incentives to come and play athletics for them? It's just not right!

your implication here is that private schools recruit and give "incentives" for them to send their kids to thier school. I guess by incentives you mean a good Christian, family environment instead of sending them to the public schools in the area that are full of crime, drugs and bureaucratic garbage. If that's what you meant by incentives, please accept my apology...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your implication here is that private schools recruit and give "incentives" for them to send their kids to thier school. I guess by incentives you mean a good Christian, family environment instead of sending them to the public schools in the area that are full of crime, drugs and bureaucratic garbage. If that's what you meant by incentives, please accept my apology...

You sayin there is not a little somethin'-somethin' on the side to get the really really good players to play there.......ok /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

The Z Plan may not be a perfect plan, but it could be a whole lot worse. Just look at the NCAA D II playoffs. Take Carson-Newman as an example. They were 10-1 and ranked in #11 in the nation and still missed the playoffs. While some of the matchups may not be fair, they are just in the sense that deserving teams get a chance.

You sayin there is not a little somethin'-somethin' on the side to get the really really good players to play there.......ok /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Yeah, there is.. we have some really nice warm up sweats... I think they are UnderArmor...Other than that, I can only vouch for the school mine goes to and I can say they don't...NADA!

probably what you will see is teams like Boyd CPA and Tyner spare no expense to try and schedule cupcakes next time they schedule so they won't get penalized for having a bad record.

Could be. If they do...they probably won't be as good at the end of the year either. Another problem is...who are the cupcakes going to be? We scheduled Livingston...Macon...and 5a Franklin County. LA was coming off of a title. Macon was a few year removed from the semis. FC is a pretty good 5a team that lost a lot of close games. All had bad years this year. There was no way to see that in advance.

A system that will make everyone happy is not possible. Having 2 teams play each other from the same region in the first 2 rounds should be avoided, and it can be.

Part of the purpose and fun of the playoffs is to determine how a good team from one area matches up with a good team from another area. I think the TSSAA worries too much about travel distance. At CPA, we travelled to Collinwood twice in 3 years, which is over 2 1/2 hours away. These were great events and we had hundreds of fans travel and even, tailgate. When a team gets to the playoffs, the fans will travel and have fun doing it. Going to different cities is a good experience for the kids and fans, and makes for memorable games.

If the TSSAA wants to make money, they sure made a mistake allowing for a top 5 team like CPA to get eliminated by another Top 5 team in GP. Why? because CPA will put hundreds of fans through the gates no matter where they play. I bet we had almost as many fans at the GP game than GP did. I know we were louder.

Back in the late 90's I remember CPA playing Cloudland in Round 2 of the playoffs. Can't get much further away that that and nobody complained. I agree, the TSSAA worry too much about travel. I personally enjoy going to schools I have never been to before.

A system that will make everyone happy is not possible. Having 2 teams play each other from the same region in the first 2 rounds should be avoided, and it can be.

Part of the purpose and fun of the playoffs is to determine how a good team from one area matches up with a good team from another area. I think the TSSAA worries too much about travel distance. At CPA, we travelled to Collinwood twice in 3 years, which is over 2 1/2 hours away. These were great events and we had hundreds of fans travel and even, tailgate. When a team gets to the playoffs, the fans will travel and have fun doing it. Going to different cities is a good experience for the kids and fans, and makes for memorable games.

If the TSSAA wants to make money, they sure made a mistake allowing for a top 5 team like CPA to get eliminated by another Top 5 team in GP. Why? because CPA will put hundreds of fans through the gates no matter where they play. I bet we had almost as many fans at the GP game than GP did. I know we were louder.

probably what you will see is teams like Boyd CPA and Tyner spare no expense to try and schedule cupcakes next time they schedule so they won't get penalized for having a bad record.

CPA has had trouble for several years just filling a 10-game schedule. For example this year, they played 3 D2 AA schools and a first-year non-TSSAA affiliated school along with their region opponents. Please tell them how you "spare no expense to try and schedule cupcakes".

GP and CPA played in consecutive weeks...not 3 weeks apart. Under the old system they likely would have played 2 weeks apart.

Lewis County and Camden were the only #1 seeds in that quadrant. GP and CPA were 2 and 3 seeds in their own region. They would have been that under any system.

I understand how the old system works. It stinks too.

My take is that if you are going to go through the trouble of seeding teams, such as the Z Plan was supposedly designed to do, that you should at least try to improve upon the old system. Calling this flawed system 'very similar' to the flawed system that was used in the past and canned means what? That there wasn't very much effort in 'improving' the old system? That's obvious.

The potential was there to rank the teams 1 through 32 by something other than region finish. Then, to add insult to injury, 2 of the stronger teams from one of the stronger regions play each other in round 2 after both have been ranked in the top 5 in the state all year. Why not use that resource? If somebody is ranking them, let's use that as a means of seeding. Finishing first in a region that couldn't make the playoffs if they were in another region doesn't make a team a #1 seed in anything other than name. The only thing that's changed is that there is no guarantee that teams won't play someone outside of the region in the first round. The travel excuse is a weak one when Division II travels all over the state for regular season games and play off games. Travel is one of a few considerations that should be looked at when making up brackets. It's playoffs. Expect to travel some.

Back in the late 90's I remember CPA playing Cloudland in Round 2 of the playoffs. Can't get much further away that that and nobody complained. I agree, the TSSAA worry too much about travel. I personally enjoy going to schools I have never been to before.

But you don't have a life! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

That's a joke. I actually like OnlineLC.

Yeah, there is.. we have some really nice warm up sweats... I think they are UnderArmor...Other than that, I can only vouch for the school mine goes to and I can say they don't...NADA!

DAMNIT!!!! I knew there was a reason I should have gone to a private!!!!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> We had to pay for those at camden and I think they were only Jerzee or some other off brand!!!!!!!!!! Of course they have more now than they did in 1996...it's a better program now!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I understand how the old system works. It stinks too.

My take is that if you are going to go through the trouble of seeding teams, such as the Z Plan was supposedly designed to do, that you should at least try to improve upon the old system. Calling this flawed system 'very similar' to the flawed system that was used in the past and canned means what? That there wasn't very much effort in 'improving' the old system? That's obvious.

The potential was there to rank the teams 1 through 32 by something other than region finish. Then, to add insult to injury, 2 of the stronger teams from one of the stronger regions play each other in round 2 after both have been ranked in the top 5 in the state all year. Why not use that resource? If somebody is ranking them, let's use that as a means of seeding. Finishing first in a region that couldn't make the playoffs if they were in another region doesn't make a team a #1 seed in anything other than name. The only thing that's changed is that there is no guarantee that teams won't play someone outside of the region in the first round. The travel excuse is a weak one when Division II travels all over the state for regular season games and play off games. Travel is one of a few considerations that should be looked at when making up brackets. It's playoffs. Expect to travel some.

I am not for a BCS type seeding format. It is just about as ambiguous as what we have now. How would you know if a team that won all of their games on the eastern side of the state is better than a 6-4 team in Memphis? Rating services are not that accurate either.

Travel is important to most small public schools. It's about to get worse...it seems.