MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

Yes....15-0 in 5A for two striaght years AND two Gold Balls with all schools playing each other instead of this ridiculous split IS as good as it gets. I don't think MBA ever accomplished that feat.....please correct me if I am wrong.

I guess it's all about perspective. You can't argue with what BA did in '95. As I recall, BA beat Clarkesville NE (with Travis Stephens) in the quarters, MBA in the semis, and Riverdale in the Clinic Bowl. Can't really do anything more impressive than that. The next year in '96, BA and MBA were far and away the two best teams in the state, and unfortunately had to play each other in the quarterfinals. BA won in OT (still wish Ricky had gone for 2 when we tied it in regulation), then cruised to the title. That edition of 5A wouldn't compare with most years of D2-aaa.

This year, again, MBA and BA were probably among the 3 best teams in the state (depending on where you rank Maryville--but of course, I'd say MBA and BA were #1 and #2 all year). MBA had to beat one of the top 3 teams in the state twice in a month in order to claim the title. That in and of itself makes this team's accomplishment significant. On the other hand, it does seem that D2-aaa wasn't very good overall this year, with neither of the Memphis teams or Chattanooga teams having good seasons. MBA and BA both blew out their semifinal opponents, indicating that this was a two-horse race from the beginning. Consider also that this year, MBA and BA both have impressive wins over D1 teams (Independence, Smyrna, Hillsboro).

What neither MBA nor BA ever accomplished--the true brass ring, imo--was winning a title in 3A when Tennessee only had 3 classifications.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's all about perspective. You can't argue with what BA did in '95. As I recall, BA beat Clarkesville NE (with Travis Stephens) in the quarters, MBA in the semis, and Riverdale in the Clinic Bowl. Can't really do anything more impressive than that. The next year in '96, BA and MBA were far and away the two best teams in the state, and unfortunately had to play each other in the quarterfinals. BA won in OT (still wish Ricky had gone for 2 when we tied it in regulation), then cruised to the title. That edition of 5A wouldn't compare with most years of D2-aaa.

This year, again, MBA and BA were probably among the 3 best teams in the state (depending on where you rank Maryville--but of course, I'd say MBA and BA were #1 and #2 all year). MBA had to beat one of the top 3 teams in the state twice in a month in order to claim the title. That in and of itself makes this team's accomplishment significant. On the other hand, it does seem that D2-aaa wasn't very good overall this year, with neither of the Memphis teams or Chattanooga teams having good seasons. MBA and BA both blew out their semifinal opponents, indicating that this was a two-horse race from the beginning. Consider also that this year, MBA and BA both have impressive wins over D1 teams (Independence, Smyrna, Hillsboro).

What neither MBA nor BA ever accomplished--the true brass ring, imo--was winning a title in 3A when Tennessee only had 3 classifications.

Tennessee is a relatively small state population wise. We just don't justify having 7 football divisions in my humble opinion. What we have is what the majority of high school coaches have told the TSSAA Board of Control members they want.

I would love to see the TSSAA go back to the A, AA, AAA classifications putting the D-II A financial aid schools in AA and the D-II AA schools in AAA and crown three State Champions. I would like to this put toward a vote of high school head coaches and it made public so that we can see who wants to duck who?

Props to MBA for going undefeated, 13-0; truly a great accomplishment given the high level of competition. Kudos to MBA for playing 5A and 4A schools when they ventured outside of D-II AA and for scrimmaging Goodpasture, Franklin, Smyrna and Riverdale in August. I suspect the MBA coaches would tell us that scrimmaging tough competition helped to make them a better team.

Boy you keep serving up softballs. If you are going to be the best you have to compete with the best. If you lose or are even embarassed trying there is no shame in that. It beats staying in Nashville and playing only the weak sisters of the poor outside of the league games.

MBA played 6 unbeaten teams this season, 3 of them (Ensworth, BA, FR) late in the season. No one really knew what type of game to expect because of the calibre of competition those 3 played. FR beat Ensworth without their best player, and we played them with him. How does that compare. Well, we found out on the field.

MBA played Loiusville Trinity for 4 straight years home and away. The first year when Brian Brohm was a senior. Everyone around Nashville said we were crazy to play those guys, they would kill us. They came into the first game rated #3 in the USA Today poll, KY state champion in the big school division, and what happened. We beat them. It was a outstanding game. We were able to win 3 close games in the series, and they blew us out on our first trip to Louisville (2004). The Big Red recovered from that and won 7 or 8 straight games before losing to MUS in Memphis, and then again to MUS in the playoffs. The Trinity series was great in all respects. Great competition, great high school atmosphere at both places, and great fans at both schools. Unfortunately due to scheduling differences between Tennessee and Kentucky, this game can't be fit into either teams schedule. I wish it could.

I think I would rather lose stepping up and playing Cinn Moeller, or St. X, then beat Red Boiling Springs 56-0. I guess that is a foreign thought to you.

Well you make several good points and don't attack anyone else. So I am in agreement with you.

'cept no one in D2 plays Red Boiling Springs. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

where have I heard that before, OH YEAH, thats your excuse for every time that Ryan gets beat in anything by BA or MBA.

PS-MBA is winning state in wrestling too

I got a laugh out of this one!

PS - LoL not really /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yes the good old days. When it was a given that two good teams in 11AAA would miss the playoffs, because only the distruct champion went on. Odd how the public school coaches in those days relished playing MBA. Times change, but it's not all progress.

I would gladly concede, however, that MBA would most likely go 15-0 with the divisions combined if somebody would just let them.

And after the last play of the game, when the clock had been at zero, and the whistle blown, and the players were rushing the field, one of the BA OLineman stomped on Jay Cole's ankle, on prupose, and he now has a high ankle sprain, thats beyond Ryan-like

I hope someone other than myself has seen the film. If they have, they know that either vols98 is "mistaken" or the film is mistaken. The film shows #72 Alex Bullard knocking #74 from MBA partialy to the ground in a pancake style block. When #74 tried to get up he knocked him viciously and maybe unnecessarily, but cleanly, back to the ground. There was no penalty called and there should not have been. One thing for sure there was no stomping or kicking or anything resembling that. It was a vicious block delivered by a very good and I bet frustrated lineman, who will be one of the top recruits in the state next year. I certainly hope #74 is ok. I know the championship had to take some of the sting out the pain.

I hope someone other than myself has seen the film. If they have, they know that either vols98 is "mistaken" or the film is mistaken. The film shows #72 Alex Bullard knocking #74 from MBA partialy to the ground in a pancake style block. When #74 tried to get up he knocked him viciously and maybe unnecessarily, but cleanly, back to the ground. There was no penalty called and there should not have been. One thing for sure there was no stomping or kicking or anything resembling that. It was a vicious block delivered by a very good and I bet frustrated lineman, who will be one of the top recruits in the state next year. I certainly hope #74 is ok. I know the championship had to take some of the sting out the pain.

I buy your story. Alex would have tried to take his head off, legally, but not maliciously.....(is that a word???)

it was #72 that took out Jay cole #74, after the game had already ended

I did not see that part of the film (after the game). However, #74 did not get up and it seemed pretty clear that his injury resulted from that play. He stayed on the ground during the film that I saw and Alex left the area. Moreover, I can't imagine why Alex Bullard could have wanted or needed anymore satisfaction. If you see the film, you will understand.

I did not see that part of the film (after the game). However, #74 did not get up and it seemed pretty clear that his injury resulted from that play. He stayed on the ground during the film that I saw and Alex left the area. Moreover, I can't imagine why Alex Bullard could have wanted or needed anymore satisfaction. If you see the film, you will understand.

Don't worry about explaining. I am pretty sure that they are not going to let the facts get in the way of what they believe.