MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

You are exactly right about 2002. If I were an MBA fan, that would one of my favorite wins of all time. You describe it exactly how I do. I like your animated "tore BA to pieces" description. You don't have to call yourself "BigRedDad". With dialog like that, people will know. Next year will probably be one of our greatest teams ever. I can only hope that we do not have a repeat of 2002.

This is what makes High School football fun. BA like MBA knows they have some quality players coming back next year. But to be successful they both will need some unknown players to step up and take ownership of a position to "fill in the blanks" if you will. It is fun to see which kids emerge. It is amazing to watch the transformation from a goofy little kid to a more mature player. I suppose the coaches have an inkling about who those players might be going through offseason workouts, and spring and summer drills, but the fans don't, and there are always pleasant surprises. MBA had a number of them this year. Take the o-line for example. We had Bailey and Rolfe returning starters from last year. Adams played a good bit last year as well. We had to replace the right tackle and center. Wesley Johnson and Owen Lipscomb stepped up big and these 5 guys evolved into what might be the best o-line in the state. Next year they will have 2 returning starters to build around, and 3 new guys will have to step up and join them. This is what makes playing team sports such an important part of the players education and maturation. It is a never ending process in high school sports...players graduate and new players come along to replace them. It is great to watch.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're making a big deal about BA"s championships while disregarding any of MBA's as being either too old or in too small of a division. How was my accuracy wrong? We won state championships in all 6 of those years which all are in the past 10 years. As for your last point, although once again you insist on bringing up past victories instead of present ones, we obviously were not good last year. And don't act like you guys didnt talk it up...you STILL are. Big deal, you beat a team not even good enough to make DII playoffs. MBA is not always good. Now try and make another point about how MBA's success pales in comparison to BA's. You beat MBA last year??? Who cares we beat a talented BA team twice THIS year. Keep shifting the focus to 42-7 crap. You're no better than the all too familiar "ryan will own u in wrestling season" excuse.

Not one BA fan made a peep after beating us 42-7 last year. They were gracious in victory, as they have been gracious in defeat both times this year...and I don't remember them boasting or anything after the 2002 regular season game...in fact every time we've ever played any meaningful game with BA, they acquit themselves very well in victory or defeat.

So since we have, in fact, won the titles you described, maybe we can act like we've been there before.

Not one BA fan made a peep after beating us 42-7 last year. They were gracious in victory, as they have been gracious in defeat both times this year...and I don't remember them boasting or anything after the 2002 regular season game...in fact every time we've ever played any meaningful game with BA, they acquit themselves very well in victory or defeat.

So since we have, in fact, won the titles you described, maybe we can act like we've been there before.

Very well said.

Which you have been, many times.

Thanks for your post. Reading this thread was making me sick. Two very good teams played for a championship. The better team dominated the the other team, and deserves to be congratulated on a great victory and a phenomenal season. All this other nonsense really doesn't matter.

KWoodruff, I hope sportsmanship isn't quite yet dead, but I get your point all too clearly.

Vince Lombardi once said that football was not a contact sport, but a collision sport. It can generate tremendous emotion on the part of the players and the spectators. Things are often said and done in the heat of that emotion that the individuals often regret. It comes with the game.

With that said, as an MBA alumnus, it is difficult for me to admit, but Brentwood Academy has without a doubt over the past thirty-three years been the most consistently successful program in the state. With as many state championships as they've won, they have even more seconds, which is remarkable. They've not had a losing record since 1972. And, although many down play early success by the limits of their classification at the time, they attempted to play "up" as often as they could. They have a great school and a wonderful community. They've been a great rival for MBA, and although there is now no one we'd rather beat, we have tremendous respect for them.

Now, with regard to "mythical" championships, I guess we should start calling all those college championships that each of our schools have earned over the years as "mythical" also. In the same sense that we play within the constraints or our classifications, we also play with the playoff system or lack thereof at the time we participate. Not to take anything away from BA's success, but the history of MBA football is not something to take lightly. Nor are their early championships.

The TSSAA was not formed until 1925, and their first responsibility was to oversee the state basketball tournament. Their playoff system for football did not begin until the 1969 season. From 1941 to 1968, the State Lithenhouse poll crowned the Tennessee state champion for football, and MBA was declared champion in 1955, 1967 and 1968.

Prior to the TSSAA, the State Athletic Association was formed in 1902 and had its first championship game, much like the BCS championship game today, in 1915. MBA won that first Tennessee state championship. They also won in 1917, 1925, 1926, and 1927. In the 20's and 30's, MBA was also part of the old Mid South Conference, which included schools outside the state, and the 1925, 1926 and 1927 teams also were Mid South Conference champions, which at the time held greater distinction than the state championships.

MBA won its 14th state championship this past weekend, and there is nothing "mythical" about any of them. Some of those early championship teams were as dominating for their era as any today. And with regard to our modern day rivalry with BA (and these facts are meant with no disrespect and take nothing away from my earlier comments regarding their great success), MBA has played BA a total of 18 times since 1995. MBA's record...12 wins and 6 losses. I'd say the MBA community can also be proud of our program.

Roll Red, Roll

This is what makes High School football fun. BA like MBA knows they have some quality players coming back next year. But to be successful they both will need some unknown players to step up and take ownership of a position to "fill in the blanks" if you will. It is fun to see which kids emerge. It is amazing to watch the transformation from a goofy little kid to a more mature player. I suppose the coaches have an inkling about who those players might be going through offseason workouts, and spring and summer drills, but the fans don't, and there are always pleasant surprises. MBA had a number of them this year. Take the o-line for example. We had Bailey and Rolfe returning starters from last year. Adams played a good bit last year as well. We had to replace the right tackle and center. Wesley Johnson and Owen Lipscomb stepped up big and these 5 guys evolved into what might be the best o-line in the state. Next year they will have 2 returning starters to build around, and 3 new guys will have to step up and join them. This is what makes playing team sports such an important part of the players education and maturation. It is a never ending process in high school sports...players graduate and new players come along to replace them. It is great to watch.

If MBA was not our arch rival, I would have been proud of them on several occasions. In 2002 they got it done with execution and heart. This year they were more talented than 2002 and got it done with talent, execution and heart. That was the BA style in the 70's, 80's and 90's. So, I know how to identify it and know how you guys feel.

Vince Lombardi once said that football was not a contact sport, but a collision sport. It can generate tremendous emotion on the part of the players and the spectators. Things are often said and done in the heat of that emotion that the individuals often regret. It comes with the game.

With that said, as an MBA alumnus, it is difficult for me to admit, but Brentwood Academy has without a doubt over the past thirty-three years been the most consistently successful program in the state. With as many state championships as they've won, they have even more seconds, which is remarkable. They've not had a losing record since 1972. And, although many down play early success by the limits of their classification at the time, they attempted to play "up" as often as they could. They have a great school and a wonderful community. They've been a great rival for MBA, and although there is now no one we'd rather beat, we have tremendous respect for them.

Now, with regard to "mythical" championships, I guess we should start calling all those college championships that each of our schools have earned over the years as "mythical" also. In the same sense that we play within the constraints or our classifications, we also play with the playoff system or lack thereof at the time we participate. Not to take anything away from BA's success, but the history of MBA football is not something to take lightly. Nor are their early championships.

The TSSAA was not formed until 1925, and their first responsibility was to oversee the state basketball tournament. Their playoff system for football did not begin until the 1969 season. From 1941 to 1968, the State Lithenhouse poll crowned the Tennessee state champion for football, and MBA was declared champion in 1955, 1967 and 1968.

Prior to the TSSAA, the State Athletic Association was formed in 1902 and had its first championship game, much like the BCS championship game today, in 1915. MBA won that first Tennessee state championship. They also won in 1917, 1925, 1926, and 1927. In the 20's and 30's, MBA was also part of the old Mid South Conference, which included schools outside the state, and the 1925, 1926 and 1927 teams also were Mid South Conference champions, which at the time held greater distinction than the state championships.

MBA won its 14th state championship this past weekend, and there is nothing "mythical" about any of them. Some of those early championship teams were as dominating for their era as any today. And with regard to our modern day rivalry with BA (and these facts are meant with no disrespect and take nothing away from my earlier comments regarding their great success), MBA has played BA a total of 18 times since 1995. MBA's record...12 wins and 6 losses. I'd say the MBA community can also be proud of our program.

Roll Red, Roll

Very informative - thanks. "Mythical", of course, was not my word. I think I read it in a Tennessean article. However, you put a great perspective on it.

The 12 wins 6 losses is one of those "facts" like I have been discussing with Whodey. I don't like that fact at all, but it is nothing to get mad about. It is an excellent retort. It does not change the facts that I have introduced, but it is extremely relevant in the great rivalry that our schools enjoy.

Roll Red, Roll

Great post...one humble spelling correction though, with all due respect to Red77, and out of respect to the late Dr. E. E. Litkenhous. I grew up following those rankings...I think his formula was similar to Jeff Sagarin's formula. The Litkenhous formula is stilled used in Kentucky to rank high school football teams and is published regularly in the Courier-Journal.

They have a great school and a wonderful community. They've been a great rival for MBA, and although there is now no one we'd rather beat, we have tremendous respect for them.

I think you echo the sentiments of 99.999% of all Big Red and Eagle supporters. You do yourself and your school proud sir.

Ok to sum it all up

1. You're stating facts. "MBA had a century to win their gold balls and NEVER won a gold ball with a playoff system in place and all schools combined. The only non-mythical gold ball ever won by MBA was with 7-8 different divisions in place and the the public/private split. Since, we are talking notable..."

2. You say "MBA wins were not upsets." ..............there is NO way you can honestly say that BA was not favored (or at least no team was heavily favored) in at least the first game. They were ranked #2 behind maryville in the state for the first 8 weeks or so. MBA wasnt supposed to be good this year in the first place, BA was. That is an upset in and of itself. Plus, BA had a great running back chris jordan and BA was favored to do much better this game. Don't sit here and act like MBA was expected to win all along. LOOK AT THE PREVIOUS PREDICTIONS ON THIS BOARD....then talk. In addition, you are proving my point over and over again here. You keep saying "oh mba's wins werent upsets." Once again, belittling what this entire board is even about. THIS GAME.

You still havent pointed out what "semi-accurate" facts i've made. Literally the only fact I have gotten from you is that mba did not win when publics were with privates and that MBA lost last year. Please enlighten me with your facts.

Outside of hype and hearsay....how could MBA NOT be the favorite with our (BA) mainly freshman and sophomore team? Lots of our players that vie for starting time, last year (2006) were playing against 12 year old 7th graders. MBA had this year about 33 seniors, and really good athletes. BA's team last year was a senior team, and last years BA team was better than this years. MBA in all aspects should have been the favorite this year.

If MBA was not our arch rival, I would have been proud of them on several occasions. In 2002 they got it done with execution and heart. This year they were more talented than 2002 and got it done with talent, execution and heart. That was the BA style in the 70's, 80's and 90's. So, I know how to identify it and know how you guys feel.

Outside of BA, I am an MBA fan.....can't pull for MBA when they play BA, but I always pull for them against anyone else.....I like the way they play.