MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

Are you serious? I just wanted to point out that the "recruits" you are mentioning have attended MBA since the 7th grade. In order to get into MBA you must prove that you are academically fit i.e. pass the ISEE test and then afterwards go into further consideration among a plethora of other applicants. Being accepted in and of itself is an honor. How they develop as gentleman, scholars, and athletes comes after their acceptance into MBA. If you're a BA supporter and are criticizing MBA for recruitment, please please please don't make a fool of yourself. I believe it was BA that was taken to court on recruitment violations and was placed on a lengthy 13 year probation period. The MBA football team as Coach McGugin most eloquently put is filled with student-athletes. Several were national merit FINALISTS, others were inducted into Totomoi, one of the most prestigious societies at MBA. Being successful athletically doesn't necessarily indicate recruitment you fool. Besides, I find it quite difficult to recruit players coming into the 7th grade, I'm pretty sure "growth" has to actually occur before any accusations can be made. This accusation is heinous, as is everything you speak.

Man paceisthetrick, you REALLY need to lay off of the caffeine before you post. Take deep breaths and, here's a unique idea -- really read the post you are responding to it. Do you really think a true BA poster would say "Looks like MBA found BA's recruiting list"? This may come as a bit of a surprize to you, but there are actually schools and their supporters who dislike MBA more than BA does. In fact, I'd say that, while we hate loosing to MBA more than anyone, we probably respect MBA more than any other school does as well.

Lighten up Francis!

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much vitriol since the title game! A few thoughts I have:

BA: As an MBA fan, I know rather well that the success MBA football has had, and particularly in DII, is a byproduct of the success BA has had on the football field. BA has long been one of the measuring sticks (if not the measuring stick) of Tennessee HS football, and has pretty much maintained that aura despite only one title in the past 11 years, and yet MBA's title game victories have been validated in large part by beating a program like BA. Of course, beating Bolles (FL) and Trinity (KY) and decimating Tennessee's DI (23-1 since '97) has certainly helped, but the shadow of BA has certainly made MBA better. It all started with the '95 playoff rout and the '96 OT close call - it showed that MBA had to step it up a notch. Add in some nice exchanges with some BA fans in private messages, and you won't find me dogging our rivals (but it's still nice to beat 'em). Hopefully some of you younger pups (i.e., under legal drinking age) will follow suit.

MBA/Academics/Recruiting: I used to feel compelled to spew data to prove a point, but it's no longer worth it - people will believe what they want. With that said, for all the non-believers, grab an MBA program from this year and see how many of this year's seniors started at MBA in seventh grade. Grab a 2003 program and cross reference the players from MBA's state title football teams with the National Merit list for the whole school. Over 20% of MBA's football players were NM Semifinalists/Commended students; show me a school in the state that had that percentage for its entire school. Also cross reference MBA's Valedictorian (went to UVA thereafter) from that year with the starting defensive lineup and you'll find a match. And finally, while I can't link my original post since CoachT had to purge a lot of posts from prior years, if you really want to be stunned, find the starting lineups from that same 2003 year, find an MBA grad who can tell you the names of the parents of those players, and then MapQuest where those players lived in relation to MBA. I'll save you the trouble - the average distance was about 5 to 6 miles. My guess is some of our public school brethren travel farther to their public schools.

Brotherhood: For some of you newbies, read some DI threads. Yes, we have our heated rivalries with one another in DII, but some of those guys really hate DII teams, and even more sadly, despite the fact that the former Super 7 won about 80% of their games against DI during the first 10 years of DII (including four instances when the Super 7 runner-up or also-ran handed an eventual DI state champ its only loss), they still discredit the strength of DII football (the short playoff road is a tried-and-true card they try to pull - all while 2-8 and 3-7 DI teams make the playoffs). Yes, we can still be rivals and talk smack to one another, but we need a little solidarity, too. We have a great Division - with compelling W-L records in our favor - that needs to be an example of overall pride and stength.

Off my soapbox...

As long as D2 teams beat the public schools, I am fine.

And did you just say newbie?

So much vitriol since the title game! A few thoughts I have:

BA: As an MBA fan, I know rather well that the success MBA football has had, and particularly in DII, is a byproduct of the success BA has had on the football field. BA has long been one of the measuring sticks (if not the measuring stick) of Tennessee HS football, and has pretty much maintained that aura despite only one title in the past 11 years, and yet MBA's title game victories have been validated in large part by beating a program like BA. Of course, beating Bolles (FL) and Trinity (KY) and decimating Tennessee's DI (23-1 since '97) has certainly helped, but the shadow of BA has certainly made MBA better. It all started with the '95 playoff rout and the '96 OT close call - it showed that MBA had to step it up a notch. Add in some nice exchanges with some BA fans in private messages, and you won't find me dogging our rivals (but it's still nice to beat 'em). Hopefully some of you younger pups (i.e., under legal drinking age) will follow suit.

MBA/Academics/Recruiting: I used to feel compelled to spew data to prove a point, but it's no longer worth it - people will believe what they want. With that said, for all the non-believers, grab an MBA program from this year and see how many of this year's seniors started at MBA in seventh grade. Grab a 2003 program and cross reference the players from MBA's state title football teams with the National Merit list for the whole school. Over 20% of MBA's football players were NM Semifinalists/Commended students; show me a school in the state that had that percentage for its entire school. Also cross reference MBA's Valedictorian (went to UVA thereafter) from that year with the starting defensive lineup and you'll find a match. And finally, while I can't link my original post since CoachT had to purge a lot of posts from prior years, if you really want to be stunned, find the starting lineups from that same 2003 year, find an MBA grad who can tell you the names of the parents of those players, and then MapQuest where those players lived in relation to MBA. I'll save you the trouble - the average distance was about 5 to 6 miles. My guess is some of our public school brethren travel farther to their public schools.

Brotherhood: For some of you newbies, read some DI threads. Yes, we have our heated rivalries with one another in DII, but some of those guys really hate DII teams, and even more sadly, despite the fact that the former Super 7 won about 80% of their games against DI during the first 10 years of DII (including four instances when the Super 7 runner-up or also-ran handed an eventual DI state champ its only loss), they still discredit the strength of DII football (the short playoff road is a tried-and-true card they try to pull - all while 2-8 and 3-7 DI teams make the playoffs). Yes, we can still be rivals and talk smack to one another, but we need a little solidarity, too. We have a great Division - with compelling W-L records in our favor - that needs to be an example of overall pride and stength.

Off my soapbox...

Are you still updating the DI-DII W-L records on hsfdatabase?

Are you still updating the DI-DII W-L records on hsfdatabase?

I've gotten so far behind, and I have it on my to-do list, and will get it done (yes, empty promises thus far). My hope is to have it completed by the end of the DI finals next weekend. I have six weeks (Weeks 5 through 10) to complete.

Part of what has kept me behind is work I've done on the Helmet Project, which has grown from about 50 helmets at the start of the season to 174 helmets currently.

Congrats to MBA from a DB fan! Hard to beat a good BA team twice. What a great season and there were some fine players on that team. I thought BA might win the second time. One of the best two game series in the last decade was DB vs MBA in 2000 & 20001 (I think those were the years). Both games had 2 or 3 overtimes and were close with each team taking a win. Great sportmanship and a fun game that brought out a ton of fans.

I'm certainly a big fan of the old Clinic Bowl, having followed it since 1969 (MBA 35, Gallatin 7). Is there some issue with Murfressboro that makes it undesirable, other than the fact that it involves change, probably for the TSSAA's profit? I remember as late as 1979 it was played on one of the team's home fields.

I ran across an old home video and remembered your post when I was watching. I thought that I would share it. The environment is totally different for sure.

DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be video to glorify BA. Please accept it for historical content. These are clips from the 1980 AA Title game. BA vs Rule High School out of Knoxville. BA featured Kent Austin #12 at QB & Jimmy Hockaday #85 and Rule featured Terry Minor #1 at QB who committed to UT, withdrew the commitment and went to Clemson. That Rule team also featured the Copher brothers. I know at least one of them played for some years in the NFL. We narrowly escape when the back up QB fumbles a snap a the end of the game. Bill Wade is the trophy presenter.

I can't imagine how things would have been if this BA/MBA title game would have been played at MBA...

Here is the link:

http://www.vimeo.com/408432

I ran across an old home video and remembered your post when I was watching. I thought that I would share it. The environment is totally different for sure.

DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be video to glorify BA. Please accept it for historical content. These are clips from the 1980 AA Title game. BA vs Rule High School out of Knoxville. BA featured Kent Austin #12 at QB & Jimmy Hockaday #85 and Rule featured Terry Minor #1 at QB who committed to UT, withdrew the commitment and went to Clemson. That Rule team also featured the Copher brothers. I know at least one of them played for some years in the NFL. We narrowly escape when the back up QB fumbles a snap a the end of the game. Bill Wade is the trophy presenter.

I can't imagine how things would have been if this BA/MBA title game would have been played at MBA...

Here is the link:

I stated somewhere earlier that I hated that this game had to be played in front of 40000 empty seats. I was in the middle of the MBA crowd and there were a lot of us, but there still was not awhole lot of atmosphere.

I have nothing against MTSU per se, there would have been a lot of empty seats at Vanderbilt as well, although for this particular game there might have been more outside interest at Vandy from folks justing wanting to see the game who wouldn't drive to M-boro to do it. I don't think the players get any real charge out of playing in a college stadium that is pretty much empty. They do have a jumbotron I guess, so they can watch themselves (a good thing?). I'm sure there is more in it for the TSSAA this way though.

The thing I liked about the old Clinic Bowl is that the proceeds went to a worthy cause (the orthopedic clinic at Childrens Hospital) instead of the TSSAA.

Here is the link:

That brings back some memories. Thanks for sharing.

Here is the link:

Thank you sooo much for sharing this! It brings back alot of memories.... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Here is the link:

Very cool video. I wonder if MBA has ever considered putting together a historical compilation like UT did for their 100th year? I would assume they still have films going back to Owen's early years. MBA has an archive, and I was amazed at what wasn't there: game programs, etc. What I wouldn't give to have my 1970 Clinic Bowl Program (or my 1969 Cumberland-Clarksville Burt Blanket Bowl program).

Mentioning historical BA figures, does anybody remember Steve Inglis?

Very cool video. I wonder if MBA has ever considered putting together a historical compilation like UT did for their 100th year? I would assume they still have films going back to Owen's early years. MBA has an archive, and I was amazed at what wasn't there: game programs, etc. What I wouldn't give to have my 1970 Clinic Bowl Program (or my 1969 Cumberland-Clarksville Burt Blanket Bowl program).

Mentioning historical BA figures, does anybody remember Steve Inglis?

How about a 1967 Clinic Bowl - MBA and THE Stratford Spartans?