Henry County VS Melrose Clash of the Titans!

Red Dawn

Anyone that was at the game will attest to the fact that Fairley only had 2 things that were outstanding. #1 their lightning fast runningback & #2 their jamming band. Even though we won by 3 td's, our secondary was pretty pathetic for most of the game. I think at one point, until the 4th quarter, their qb had almost a 90% comp. rate. He threw several passes that could have been mistaken for punts that were completions. The passes were that bad! The only thing worse was our DB's. It seems as though in the 4th quarter, Gaddis had enough of subpar performances from some of our players and turned on the heat with the ones he knew could bear the load. Whatever it was, he stopped the leak in the boat and then it was smooth sailing. I said we won by 3 td's but it would have been worse if the elephant in the zebra costume on our side of the field knew anything about football. How in the world do justify calling a "REKICK" when Fairley fumbled a fair catch and we recover the ball? What a joke! You would think that in the 2nd rnd. of the playoffs you wouldnt have to worry about potential game changing bad calls by refs that cant even see their shoes. Much less keep up with high school athletes that have 4.5 speed. Surely TSSAA can do better than these buffet killers! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Pathetic is a stronger word than I would use, but I like a man who will speak his mind. The secondary did not play well, nor was there enough pressure on the QB. These problems must be taken care of soon. The defense rose up when it had to in the 4th quarter, however.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more the better!

It won't be your average highschool football game atmosphere Friday night. I just hope that the sound of cannon-fire doesnt' bother yall too much.

I suggest you do your history check on Orange Mound. There are sounds much louder than cannon fire heard throughout Orange Mound on a nightly basis. So it will not be intimidating at all !

Pathetic is a stronger word than I would use, but I like a man who will speak his mind. The secondary did not play well, nor was there enough pressure on the QB. These problems must be taken care of soon. The defense rose up when it had to in the 4th quarter, however.

This is a very good point Red Warrior. Our Big Red Defense seems to tighten up precisely when it is needed most. My only fear is that as the competition gets stronger and stronger, they will have to tighten up for all four quarters.

In your earlier post about Melrose must be the favorite, olddevil mentioned the Massey Ratings where Melrose is favored. But they had an erroneous score for us last week which effects the offensive power rating. Even after corrected, Melrose will still be favored by a point or two in that system. In the Sonny Moore computer system Henry County is the favorite by 4. So what this tells me is that essentially, it is a neck and neck battle where there are no real favorites. Just two teams equally matched slugging it out for the right to go to the Semi's. My kind of football!!! Even though they have the top rated Defense in the state, it will be difficult for them to completely stop our multi-faceted attack with misdirection. And with Melrose offense not very solid, then I like our chances.

Great game last week boys! Don't listen to all that crap about our D being soft in the secondary. Our coaches did a great job!! What more could you ask for then a 3 touchdown victory /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Can't wait till Friday! The Melrose D will be tough, but I still see the ride continuing /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

HC 21 Melrose 12

Hillsboro is next and then on to the Boro!!!

Red Warrior, The Zone, KWC, and WToff have made intelligent and interesting observations on this thread. They are largely unbiased and demonstrate their extensive knowledge of the game. However,at this point, their comments are just opinions and should be appreciated as such. I, for one, look forward to their posts. RW's notion that Melrose should be favored is probably right------ That doesn't mean that they will win. The Massey poll has installed Melrose as a 5 point favorite. We should use ths as stimulus to get better! Yanker, loking forward to your insight and commentary. GO BIG RED

I am biased, but I look at a Melrose team that is 4-3 against teams with a winning record,Henry coutny is 5-1 against teams with a winning record. Nobody Henry county beat is still in the playoffs,Mithcell that beat Melrose is in the 3a playoffs,Henry county is 5-1 at home in the playoffs over the past 3 years,Henry county went to the mound and beat Melrose last year.Although I agree that defenses are huge in championship football, Special teams and Offense happen to be just as important. Melroses offense averaged 27 points a game this season while giving up a field goal a game plus 1Henry county averaged 41 points a game while giving up 14agains teams with above 500 records Melrose is giving up a touchdown a game and scoring 18HC giving up 17 and scoring 34I look at all these numbers and I can not see where Melrose should be favored, Do not know id Henry county should be eihter, but in a toss up, I go with the home team. Red Warrior, have you had the opportunity to see Melrose this year, old devil? As for what the polling systems say well some human punched those numbers in. Why would you put Melrose as the favorite?[quote name='olddevil'

Good post by the prophet!!and those 5 playoff wins were against the Memphis schools!Number 6 win at home comes this week /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Why the debate over this and that ? Everybody knows that these teams that we are discussing are fighting for second place after the soon to be champs again Maryville Rebels.

We just want a shot at them /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Guest Advisor

Why the debate over this and that ? Everybody knows that these teams that we are discussing are fighting for second place after the soon to be champs again Maryville Rebels.

Keep thinking that Highschoolking!! Riverdale had their season end last week!! They are playing basketball now! The Rebels from Blount County may be next!! Although, Everybody in West and Middle Tennessee has already appointed Maryville State Champs!(wink, wink) Oh, and lest the Advisor forgets, looks like the Rebels have the 10-0 Lions from Red Bank this week! They have only been held under 30 points TWICE this season!! Run the breaking news jingle!! The ADVISOR sees the Lions beating the Rebels in their own sand box!!

If you believe that, then you would never coach on my staff (if I still had a staff)! That's easy to say, and Maryville MUST be the favorite, but you still have to play the game!

Good Morning Gang!! Can't speak a word...voice is gone after the game Friday nite. Even tried to apply extra voodoo juice to it this weekend and nothing. Oh well, here we are again getting ready for ANOTHER weekend of Patriot Football. Last week is over. All I have got to say is where are the nay sayers now. Boys it's time to get ready to take your game to another level this week. Nothing matters...not sore toes, legs, arms, backs...none of that counts. Everybody is beat up. It all boils down to who wants it most!!! Do you have it in you?

Since some of you have asked...we are going back to MacBeth for inspiration for this week's voodoo juice. Need som ideas as for what to throw in the pot. Went to Reelfoot this weekend and got some mud off of the bottom of the devil's foot itself out of the Devil's Racetrack. Water is from Big Ronaldson Ditch...nasty grey mess.

ROLL RED ROLL!!! ROLL RED ROLL!!!

I am biased, but I look at a Melrose team that is 4-3 against teams with a winning record,Henry coutny is 5-1 against teams with a winning record. Nobody Henry county beat is still in the playoffs,Mithcell that beat Melrose is in the 3a playoffs,Henry county is 5-1 at home in the playoffs over the past 3 years,Henry county went to the mound and beat Melrose last year.Although I agree that defenses are huge in championship football, Special teams and Offense happen to be just as important. Melroses offense averaged 27 points a game this season while giving up a field goal a game plus 1Henry county averaged 41 points a game while giving up 14agains teams with above 500 records Melrose is giving up a touchdown a game and scoring 18HC giving up 17 and scoring 34I look at all these numbers and I can not see where Melrose should be favored, Do not know id Henry county should be eihter, but in a toss up, I go with the home team. Red Warrior, have you had the opportunity to see Melrose this year, old devil? As for what the polling systems say well some human punched those numbers in. Why would you put Melrose as the favorite?[quote name='olddevil'

I have not seen Melrose this year. Most of the games I see are Henry County games. I talk to friends in Memphis who have seen them. I say Melrose should be favored for two reasons. The revenge motive will be strong and good defense will usually overcome good offense. The game should be a great one and I hope Henry County wins.