Henry County VS Melrose Clash of the Titans!

Red Dawn

Melrose is extremely predictable on both sides of the ball. For this reason I am going to take Henry Co. Coach Gaddis will see what they are trying to do on both sides of the ball and exploit it. If you want details I can give you details.

As far as Melrose being "lucky", well if you consider their opponent not executing inside the red zone lucky, then maybe, but you have to understand that once inside the red zone they do not have to defend as much area. And with their speed and quckness, they are able to cover that area pretty darn good. I know in our case, we did not execute. On one 4th down and goal play from the 2 the fullback lined up in wrong place on boot. QB tackled inside one yard line when knee went down while extending ball across goalline. Another instance we had a power play called and back up guard did not block down allowing penetration. Just little things that make a big difference against a great defensive team. After watching the film, there were two times that I felt that the call could have went either way for a touchdown and the referee marked the ball down inside the one. We didnt get in. Melrose has a great defense, but there are some places you can take advantage of what they are trying to do. As far as the bend but dont break, there is some validity to that. What I mean by that is Melrose plays with a two deep or four deep secondary the majority of the time. Not as many in the box so you can move the ball but very difficult to break the long one for a TD because most of the time tailback has to beat two defenders to take it to the house.

As far as their offense, extremely predictable according to sets. Henry co. will see this and ajust to what they are doing.

Allen will have a field day if this happens. I dont see HC being held to 12 points or less. Westview accomplished just that, but HC played horrible that night and I think we have went from more of a dual (#3 & #34) threat running attack to a triple (add #20) threat attack. So long as HC doesnt give up BIG plays, they should take Melrose by a TD. I dont think Allen gets enough credit for his blocking, nor does Russell for his running.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen will have a field day if this happens. I dont see HC being held to 12 points or less. Westview accomplished just that, but HC played horrible that night and I think we have went from more of a dual (#3 & #34) threat running attack to a triple (add #20) threat attack. So long as HC doesnt give up BIG plays, they should take Melrose by a TD. I dont think Allen gets enough credit for his blocking, nor does Russell for his running.

Melrose will probably take away Allen. What Henry Co. needs to do is declare strength with trips then motion #20 into the backfield and run their spread veer option to the weak side. Melrose will be outnumbered at the point of attack and to make the play will have to play off a block. Melrose will move their backers around to adjust eventually, then Henry Co. attacks the strong side with QB Counter. They could also have some success with QB Iso to the weak side until Melrose adjusts. It will also be good early if Henry Co. would single the weak side shade when they have the enormous kid in there. Cant single the other 1 tech but you can the big guy. Puts another lineman on the linebacker.

Melrose is extremely predictable on both sides of the ball. For this reason I am going to take Henry Co. Coach Gaddis will see what they are trying to do on both sides of the ball and exploit it. If you want details I can give you details.

As far as Melrose being "lucky", well if you consider their opponent not executing inside the red zone lucky, then maybe, but you have to understand that once inside the red zone they do not have to defend as much area. And with their speed and quckness, they are able to cover that area pretty darn good. I know in our case, we did not execute. On one 4th down and goal play from the 2 the fullback lined up in wrong place on boot. QB tackled inside one yard line when knee went down while extending ball across goalline. Another instance we had a power play called and back up guard did not block down allowing penetration. Just little things that make a big difference against a great defensive team. After watching the film, there were two times that I felt that the call could have went either way for a touchdown and the referee marked the ball down inside the one. We didnt get in. Melrose has a great defense, but there are some places you can take advantage of what they are trying to do. As far as the bend but dont break, there is some validity to that. What I mean by that is Melrose plays with a two deep or four deep secondary the majority of the time. Not as many in the box so you can move the ball but very difficult to break the long one for a TD because most of the time tailback has to beat two defenders to take it to the house.

As far as their offense, extremely predictable according to sets. Henry co. will see this and ajust to what they are doing.

[/quo

I would love to have the details.te]

I want to know if Hank stayed for the game this past week , or did he just fly in and fly out? Has anyone heard whether he plans to return this week at Henry County?........Thanks

he got back in the copter and flew off... Idk if he's supposed to be back or not, but word is, their planning on stepping it up somehow... can't wait to find out how

I have been on this board all season just reading. It is now time to do a little talking. It was really good to see a packed stadium for a change. It seems when the weather gets cool our fans quit coming out until the playoffs. The young men played a great game Friday and made this old grad proud. Keep playing like you are and I will see you guys in the Boro !!!!! GO BIG RED !!!!!!

Melrose will probably take away Allen. What Henry Co. needs to do is declare strength with trips then motion #20 into the backfield and run their spread veer option to the weak side. Melrose will be outnumbered at the point of attack and to make the play will have to play off a block. Melrose will move their backers around to adjust eventually, then Henry Co. attacks the strong side with QB Counter. They could also have some success with QB Iso to the weak side until Melrose adjusts. It will also be good early if Henry Co. would single the weak side shade when they have the enormous kid in there. Cant single the other 1 tech but you can the big guy. Puts another lineman on the linebacker.

There D may be better this year, but Allen had a pretty good game against them last year. HC put 34 or 35 on them at the mound. It had been years since that had happened and it hasnt happened since. Melrose fans, just so you are prepared...HC will tailgate...but it wont be anything like the Mound. But you should already know that...I havent been anywhere else like Orange Mound. Both sides should be in store for one heck of a game.

I hope that Henry County has a large stadium, because we are bringing about 5000 fans from the Mound.

we would love the gate and the atmosphere of another 5000, however, with our 1000 fans their at the mound last year, there might have been 3500 fans their total, so what you are telling me is that more travel to see Melrose than those at the home games?

It strikes me odd that the Patriots have socred 125 points in their last two games and 167 in their last 3, and someone wants to tell these guys how they need to attack Melrose, oh yeah, they scored a few on them last year as well. I do expect Melrose to come with a little extra after last years defeat. However Red Warrior, I do not know that melrose should be the favorite, not that favorites matter in the playoffs, I tell you what, I will take Henry county's offense and you can take Melrose's defense, and I am going to win more often than you. IT is alright though, next weekend if I win, I will not tell you I told you so. Keep stradling the fence on who the better team is that way you can sound like a smart guy when it is over, no matter who wins.

My thoughts are like this, Henry county played a questionable schedule as toughness goes, I am not sure we know just how good they are, a weak schedule does not mean that they arent as good as billed.

Melrose, how good a schedule have they played? We know that Fairley and Raleigh Egypt were not top notch competition, we also know that Memphis Northside was not very good nor was East, Melrose beat a 2-8 East team not neccesarily in convincing fashion. I have not analyized Melroses schedule just yet, but I will, I do know that they beat Fairley, lost to Kingsbury and Mitchell beat Christian brothers, and I can not remember off the top of my head who else beat them but from memory I am going to say that Melrose is like 2-3 against teams with winning records, I may be off one or two games.

Also, KWC seemed to take offense at some commetns that I made about the caliber of team that Henry county had last week, Well I hope that the convincing fashion that we beat Fairley will allow him to see that we might be as good as Whitehaven and WHitestation.