Henry County VS Melrose Clash of the Titans!

Red Dawn

Zone,

IMO, Melrose's offensive impotence is a glaring indictement of its ultra-conservative/unimaginative Coaching staff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've watched Melrose closely and seen them play plenty of times, during Coach Alexander's era... Your comments concerning Melrose's (poor) scheme would appear to confirm what I've stated repeatedly about them (this year and last year): Melrose needs new Coaching! Fast.

With all the athletes and talent that Melrose has on their team, Melrose should be averaging darn near 35-40 points per game. They should be blowing people out! Yet, they struggle mightily on offense. Their offensive schemes are so plain "vanilla," predictable and out-of-sync with the available talent, that one has to wonder if Melrose's staff spends any time at all strategizing and formulating a game plan, designed to maximize its strengths and exploit its opponent's weaknesses. It's as if their approach to game-planning is to say, "hey, we've got more raw talent than the other team. We don't need to waste time on strategies and that kind of crap. Let's just let our kids go out there, line up and play "football."

As a fan of Memphis HS football, I can tell you it's very baffling to watch Melrose struggle so mightily on offense. One can only scratch his head, and wonder... Yeah, I know that teams must still execute whatever plays are called. That nonwithstanding, Melrose routinely and severely underutilizes its playmakers (#13, 47 and 32 come immediately to mind, though their are several others). On top of that, strategically, they consistently fail to put those playmakers in position to inflict the most damage on the opposition.

I could go on and on....Let me just stop and say that Melrose's staff is in urgent need of a massive overhaul, IMO.

After this game vs Henry County, perhaps that overhaul will begin immediately. Hopefully!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Henry County 17 ---------- Melrose 13

Are you insane?

2003 11-2

2004 14-1

2005 13-2

2006 10-2

2007 9-3

I do not know when the current staff started coaching there but Melrose is darn good. They have given up 50 points ALL year. It will be a good game with Henry County.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you insane?

2003 11-2

2004 14-1

2005 13-2

2006 10-2

2007 9-3

I do not know when the current staff started coaching there but Melrose is darn good. They have given up 50 points ALL year. It will be a good game with Henry County.

The current coaching staff took over last year.No he is not insane, he is correct ! Melrose has more than enough talent on the team to win the state championship easily with ( Henry County, Maryville, and Red Bank) in mind. A good coach would score 30 or more every game with all of that talent. They have players on the bench that could go to any other school in the state and start.

Are you insane?

2003 11-2

2004 14-1

2005 13-2

2006 10-2

2007 9-3

You are getting a little insight in what it is to be a coach at Melrose. The scrutiny is as bad as being a Division 1 coach in college football. If my memory serves me correctly ... Melrose has had 6 different coaches in the past 10 years ... and they continue to go deep into the playoff, if not make it to the championship game despite that disruptive fact. It's one of the hardest ... if not THE hardest ... high school football coaching positions in Tennessee. The 2003 and 2004 season was coached by Kenny Ingram who is now the LB coach at the U of M. His 2004 team lost to Maryville in the State championship game by a score of 7-6, and the fans almost castrated the man. (not all, but a lot) He left to coach in the college ranks so Chester Flowers took over in 2005 ... they went to the championship game as well and lost to Maryville again. The heat got so bad on Chester ... he left ... abruptly ... he is now the head coach at Kirby. The last two years have been under the current head coach ... and you can tell ... folks want him gone too. He'a an older guy (in his 70's) and he has been around the block a time or two. His skin is tough ... but you have to wonder about the mental wear and tear this will take on a person. Time will tell.

You are getting a little insight in what it is to be a coach at Melrose. The scrutiny is as bad as being a Division 1 coach in college football. If my memory serves me correctly ... Melrose has had 6 different coaches in the past 10 years ... and they continue to go deep into the playoff, if not make it to the championship game despite that disruptive fact. It's one of the hardest ... if not THE hardest ... high school football coaching positions in Tennessee. The 2003 and 2004 season was coached by Kenny Ingram who is now the LB coach at the U of M. His 2004 team lost to Maryville in the State championship game by a score of 7-6, and the fans almost castrated the man. (not all, but a lot) He left to coach in the college ranks so Chester Flowers took over in 2005 ... they went to the championship game as well and lost to Maryville again. The heat got so bad on Chester ... he left ... abruptly ... he is now the head coach at Kirby. The last two years have been under the current head coach ... and you can tell ... folks want him gone too. He'a an older guy (in his 70's) and he has been around the block a time or two. His skin is tough ... but you have to wonder about the mental wear and tear this will take on a person. Time will tell.

Well Coach Alexander is a true old school coach. He believes seniors should play and not the best players. This is why Melrose has three losses instead of being undefeated. They have a junior varsity team like no other. Speed. Speed, Speed, and more Speed ! I would love to see a overhaul there. They have a security guard ( Roy) calling the offensive plays, he doesn't know football from lacrosse. It's that bad over there. The winning over there has come on talent alone, not coaching.

My friends in Memphis say that Harper has been hurt off and on all year and has missed some games already. My guess is that they will both play, but even if they don't, their defense will be the best around. Melrose MUST be the favorite in this one. Their defense has played without Harper a lot this year, and has only given up 50 points. Henry County may win, and I hope they do, but Melrose has got to be favored.

Don't ever consider becoming a bookmaker!!

MMMMM...Guys we have the pot boiling nicely today. The Gator stayed up all nite and loaded her down good. We have many things added to the pot. Why we even are using the large one so that all of our friends can enjoy this fine concoction. Word from the camp is the boys are very focused on the task at hand. That is a good thing. Michael would have me share this with you this morning...he also is quite focused today for some reason. Sorta spooky...

What man dare, I dare:

Approach thou like the rugged Russian bear,

The armed rhinoceros, or the Hyrcan tiger,-

Take any shape but that, and my firm nerves

Shall never tremble.

Macbeth, 3. 4

Guys when you go to face the adversary, never show any mercy. D-line keep your foot on them at all times!! O-line, make 'em flinch when you snap the ball!! You have only one goal! Focus gentlemen...the time is fast approaching.

RED SWARM!!! RED SWARM!!! RED SWARM!!!

Just another comment on the "toughest coaching job in the state." I remember Coach Ingram talking at a clinic about the letters he received when he lost 7-6 to Maryville in the finals about "the disgrace he was to Orange Mound!" Also, when Coach Flowers lost in the Finals, 5000 people stood and booed when he went to receive the Coaches Runnerup Plaque. Unless you are familiar with the "Melrose Experience" you can't have any idea about the pressure that surrounds you as the "Coach of the Golden Wildcats!!!"

Well Coach Alexander is a true old school coach. He believes seniors should play and not the best players. This is why Melrose has three losses instead of being undefeated. They have a junior varsity team like no other. Speed. Speed, Speed, and more Speed ! I would love to see a overhaul there. They have a security guard ( Roy) calling the offensive plays, he doesn't know football from lacrosse. It's that bad over there. The winning over there has come on talent alone, not coaching.

Every coach has his philosophy about starters. Some prefer to play the older guys, some don't mind playing the younger guys if they deem them better (more talented). Each has it's pros and cons. I'm not one to say a guy doesn't know how to coach because his philosophy doesn't agree with mine on that issue.

Whether or not the guy calling plays is a security gaurd or a garbage man ... what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Football players and coaches come from all walks of life ... what does one have to do with the other? In a perfect world, in your opinion, what should be his occupation? If his current occupation doesn't matter, then why even bring it up? Better yet ... why even put that mans business on Coacht? It's obvious, you don't like his play calling or his coaching and you get on this message board and degrade the man and the entire coaching staff ... yet ... they are preparing their team to play in the quarter finals in 4A. Doesn't sound like they don't know what they are doing to me. Sounds like you don't agree with how they do things ... and since you don't like how they run things over at Melrose ... they don't know how to coach. So you come on Coacht and put them on blast. That's not cool at all.

I see a team with the best 'D' in the City of Memphis about to play in a quarter-final game. Whether I agree with how they call plays or who starts doesn't suggest incompetence.

Maybe the current coach resigns after the year. Maybe they can find some one to coach who runs things differently and get better results. But, if I'm not part of the solution ... I'm not going to get on a message board and run down the current coaching staff and be part of the problem either.

Peace.

Every coach has his philosophy about starters. Some prefer to play the older guys, some don't mind playing the younger guys if they deem them better (more talented). Each has it's pros and cons. I'm not one to say a guy doesn't know how to coach because his philosophy doesn't agree with mine on that issue.

Whether or not the guy calling plays is a security gaurd or a garbage man ... what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Football players and coaches come from all walks of life ... what does one have to do with the other? In a perfect world, in your opinion, what should be his occupation? If his current occupation doesn't matter, then why even bring it up? Better yet ... why even put that mans business on Coacht? It's obvious, you don't like his play calling or his coaching and you get on this message board and degrade the man and the entire coaching staff ... yet ... they are preparing their team to play in the quarter finals in 4A. Doesn't sound like they don't know what they are doing to me. Sounds like you don't agree with how they do things ... and since you don't like how they run things over at Melrose ... they don't know how to coach. So you come on Coacht and put them on blast. That's not cool at all.

I see a team with the best 'D' in the City of Memphis about to play in a quarter-final game. Whether I agree with how they call plays or who starts doesn't suggest incompetence.

Maybe the current coach resigns after the year. Maybe they can find some one to coach who runs things differently and get better results. But, if I'm not part of the solution ... I'm not going to get on a message board and run down the current coaching staff and be part of the problem either.

Peace.

Amen, KWC! Coaching 15-18 year olds is difficult anywhere but especially so where expectations are high: the kids get the credit and the coach gets the blame. GO BIG RED