Henry County VS Melrose Clash of the Titans!

Red Dawn

I just got online a few minutes ago to read the Commercial Appeal article about the game and read some comments from some disgruntled Melrose fans. They were on there whining about the officials. First of all, I would assume the officials were from a neutral site ( at least that's what they do in Mississippi). Secondly, while you had substantially more penalties, you were also the recipient of a touchdown after the worst call in the history of the game. The "lateral" call was not a good call on the flare pass to Allen, but the Melrose player that was lying on the ground with the recovered "fumble", should not have been allowed to get up and score. He was down with the ball. You Melrose fans know your football and you know better than that. You put a lot of players in the NFL, but the guy who recovered the so-called "fumble" is not in the NFL yet, so he can't advance the ball. Stop whining because it should be Henry County doing whining. That terrible call was worse than all of your penalties combined.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HENRY COUNTY, MELROSE IS COMING FOR YOU!!!!!!!

OrangeMound4ever - I just read a post on the Commercial Appeal article by someone as the same name as yours so I am going to assume it to be you. I thought I had read somewhere you stating that you thought HC fans were the best, then you get on there and say that was the most inhospitable enviornment you had ever been to. I will tell you this, I served food to many (50 maybe) Melrose people - for FREE. They were gracious and good people. But several, while walking by and being offered to come and tailgate, looked over at us and laughed and yelled slurs at us when going by. I don't know who it was you stated that got treated badly in our stands, but I seriously doubt the words you stated came from our sherrif's deputies - unless someone was being disorderly and trying to pick a fight. So hopefully you will not judge an entire team or fanbase if you had one bad experience. While in Orange Mound last year, there were plenty of Melrose fans taunting HC fans. However, the overall atmosphere was great and I would not hold that against a whole team or its fans. I look forward to the opportunity to come back to Melrose in what has turned out to be quite the rivalry.

I know that the two head coaches get along well and have respect for each other. I know the Melrose players and the HC players were very respectful to each other after the game. It was great to see Lamar and one of their players hugging at the end. I know I have fun at Melrose and just take the wayward smoke, key holding, and taunting as part of the fun of the atmosphere. I hope a couple of bad apples on both sides don't ruin this up-until-now friendly rivalry. I do know that the worst call of the game was the one Red Warrior described. I read the Commercial Appeal where someone says the tape should be reviewed. My understanding (who knows? it could just be a rumor) is that it is going to be, but for that bad call against HC not for any whining by a couple of Melrose fans. And, yes, it was a neutral group. Concerning the horns, there is no rule about artificial noisemakers, including bands, in the TSSAA rule book. It is up to the referees. If one is stopped, all should be stopped. Someone complained about the stands being too small (I think they said not like the ones in Memphis). I apologize if you were uncomfortable, but the fans have no control over that. Besides, most Memphis teams bring no one. I think Egypt had about ten people and Fairly had maybe twenty plus band.

This game is over. We need to worry about Maplewood and get ready for them. If any Melrose fan was mistreated by an HC fan, don't hold it against all of us. We are good people.

Let's face it. Some Melrose fans like to run their mouths. Some Henry County fans like to run their mouths. Melrose fans are accustomed to being able to run theirs because they generally win ALL of the time. Henry County is just getting used to being able to run theirs after years of being unable to do so. certain Melrose fans are spoiled and in this instance, some are whiners. They have lost for two consecutive years to a team that as recently as four years ago, they had probably never heard of. Whine about the officiating or being mistreated all you want. The REAL issue is that you got put out of the playoffs two years ina row to the same team and you don't like it. The officiating was worse for Henry County than it was for Melrose. It cost Henry County a TD and almost the game.

As I read these posts about the game I continously hear about the great Defense of melrose, but tell me Red Dawn, in your opinion what did you think of their offense ?

Honestly, I thought it was better than advertised. Quarterback had a nice arm. Melrose also had one tall receiver who was pretty tough. HC beat a very good football team and Melrose has no reason to hang their head. Somebody had to lose and I"m glad it's Melrose obviously, but it was the most exciting high school football game I've ever seen!

I have to say "WOW" speechless. This was the best highschool game I have ever witness. It made my long drive

back to Atlanta so pleasantly short. I had a smile all the way home. I want to congradulate the whole HC staff for keepng the guys Calm and Cool. These guys played there hearts out all night and have all year. Way to get tough and buck up. You made all the Henry Co Alums happy to be call a Patriot. Melrose enough said, you had to be the fastest defense I have seen in a long time and you may have deserved to win this game but you have to play 48 complete minutes not 47. Melrose we will see you again next year. Guys I need you to win one more game so I can make the trip back to TN and witness Henry Co history in the M'boro. It was nice seeing all the old Heads again it look like a reunion. I almost forgot about the pregame celebration " It was the bomb" I thought I was at the Highschool SuperBowl. The Big Red Machince keeps "Ballin" Strap it up and Hit em Hard

I've been away for the holidays so I couldn't comment until now. Congrats Henry County on a well played game. I must admit, when I was in Nashville and I read the Saturday morning paper ... I cringed when I saw the score. Then, when I read the accounts of the game ... I felt a tab bit ill. One tremendous play by a Henry County player and one unconcievable loss for Melrose. I can imagine a lot of ways to lose a football game ... but to have a man run through the line and take the ball away from the QB and then run 40 odd yards and score the winning TD with about 2 minutes left in a hard faught defensive battle .... well ... that's got to sting. Tramarcus Toney ... hold your head up young man, you played a whale of a game ... don't let depression set in. It's a team game young man ... a TEAM game.

I must admit ... when I heard that the MLB and the DE for Melrose were hurt the game before ... I thought it severely hurt their chances ... and here they go with an opportunity to win the game. I'm impressed.

That was a good win HC ... a very good win.

Let's face it. Some Melrose fans like to run their mouths. Some Henry County fans like to run their mouths. Melrose fans are accustomed to being able to run theirs because they generally win ALL of the time. Henry County is just getting used to being able to run theirs after years of being unable to do so. certain Melrose fans are spoiled and in this instance, some are whiners. They have lost for two consecutive years to a team that as recently as four years ago, they had probably never heard of. Whine about the officiating or being mistreated all you want. The REAL issue is that you got put out of the playoffs two years ina row to the same team and you don't like it. The officiating was worse for Henry County than it was for Melrose. It cost Henry County a TD and almost the game.

When your team loses a high stakes game ... especially the manner in which they lost ... there are bound to be some fans who are emotional. No ... they probably don't like losing to Henry County two years in a row ... but who they lost the game to doesn't matter ... it's just that they lost period ... but you are right ... they are spoiled that way. I said earlier in another thread that this is becoming a rivarly between the two schools.

I juat hope the Melrose fanbase realize how good of a coach they have. Those fans can be cruel after a loss like this.