hardest position

sandy10

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put 3rd ahead because of fielding the bunt, having to defense hard line drives while sometimes playing close (it's hard enough when playing back), throwing to first with no time to waste, fielding pop fouls along the fence (sometimes the opposing team's dugout), sometimes taking the catcher's throws on steals to third, and also usually being considered one of the team's RBI girls, usually its hoped she'll have some pop in the bat since the leadoff and run scorers might play positions with more range (short, center). Short is second above the others because of the space she has to cover, including getting to third on sacrifice bunts with a runner to second at times, taking the throw from catcher on second base steals, etc. Sorry if this too long winded, and this doesn't mean I think stiffs can be put in the other positions.

[Edited by Indian on 6/10/02 11:14P]

I vote for 3rd since my daughter played there for many years. She also plays short and 2nd and many years ago played CF. You can ease into the other positions better than you can at 3rd. You have to cover a bunt, watch your runner on 2nd and cover your base all at the same time. You can't just put anyone on 3rd. You can get them hurt in a hurry if you do. You have to have speed, good reflexes and a good arm. With a good 3rd baseman, a couple of times of a team bunting and once they find out you aren't afraid of the bunt and the slap bunt and the suicide, they have to come up with other options. But depending on the pitcher and depending on which side the batters pull, a good 3rd baseman is wasted on 3rd, which is why my daughter now plays 2nd (in college).

• 6 months later...

Cornpup: Maybe you should go back and read the question. I believe it was asked what position is the hardest NOT including the pitcher and catcher. Both of our daughters have played catcher and third base and short, one as pitcher, the other leftfield and I still believe that AFTER the pitcher, 3rd is harder. I don't believe anyone could count how many times a 3rd baseman has nearly gotten her head taken off by a line-drive. In our history I would say 3rd gets more action off the bat than the pitcher does. But oh well, just opinions. ;):D:D

[Edited by Sidetrain on 12-30-02 7:55A]