Best players ever in Knox Co. Schools

redandblack63

Who would be the best player from each of the present and past Knox Co. Schools.

Bearden, Carter, Central, Halls, Powell, Karns, A.E., Fulton, West, Knoxville High, East, Austin, South , Young, South-Young, Doyle, South Doyle, Farragut, Rule. Did I miss any schools.

John Johnson, Bert Bertlecamp, Kent Hollenbaeck Bearden

Denton Jones Central

Cameron Sharp, Dickie Scates Halls

Ogan Powell

Lee Henson Karns

Elston Turner A.E.

Justus, Widby Fulton

Ferris West

Cole South

Bedford South Young

Billingsley Carpenter Farragut

Rodney Nelson Hoffmiester Young

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would be the best player from each of the present and past Knox Co. Schools.

Bearden, Carter, Central, Halls, Powell, Karns, A.E., Fulton, West, Knoxville High, East, Austin, South , Young, South-Young, Doyle, South Doyle, Farragut, Rule. Did I miss any schools.

John Johnson, Bert Bertlecamp, Kent Hollenbaeck Bearden

Denton Jones Central

Cameron Sharp, Dickie Scates Halls

Ogan Powell

Lee Henson Karns

Elston Turner A.E.

Justus, Widby Fulton

Ferris West

Cole South

Bedford South Young

Billingsley Carpenter Farragut

Rodney Nelson Hoffmiester Young

80's-90's......

Bearden--John Johnson

Central--Richard Hill

Halls--Mark Mynatt, Josh Tummel

Powell--Stanton Cameron, Bart Walker

Karns--Joey Brooks, Doug Roth

Austin East--Howard Logan

Fulton--Chris Wiley

West--Scott Chilldress

South Young--Maury Mabes, Jack Bedford

Farragut--John Carpenter

Carter--Greg Hyde, Jim Ray Cole

Austin-East-Elston Turner for sure was the best player I saw in my lifetime there. played SEC ball and in the pros

Bearden-John Johnson-played at Maryland

Halls-Josh Tummel had over 40 points in a game vs Oak Ridge.

Farragut-Had both Carpenter boys that were right at 7 feet and were dominate.

Karns-On one team, Travis Henry, Doug Roth and Joey Brooks

West-Never saw them play until recently

Powell- The older Connor boys were fine players in the 90's but thats as far back as I go.

My years of watching Knox County basketball go back to the early 70's so anybody before that I can't say.

west high- marlon bussell, derek wallace

Great topic.

Fulton -- Ivan Roper. This guy was one of the meanest and talented guys I've ever seen in high school. He could absolutely dominate off the dribble or catch and shoot. When I was a freshman at Powell, he lit us up for 38 one night. He had hit a couple of threes in a row and told our Coach, Jeff Hunter, that Hunter needed to call a timeout. Hunter muttered something at Roper, who then pulled a 28-foot three ball from right in front of Powell's bench. Before the ball even went in, Roper turned to Hunter and said, "now call timeout." It was an incredible display of cocky showmanship and ability. He ran with the wrong crowd or he almost certainly would have played college ball.

Powell -- Mike Ogan, Steve Curtis, Lee Roberts, Isaac Conner. You probably have to put Chris Conner in that mix as well, as he led Powell to its first State Tournament appearence as a AAA school.

how bout tony white, did he play at bearden like his son? lil before me but many say he could play.

Tony White Sr. is not from Knoxville originally. N.C. maybe?

It is interesting to see the players named from different times.

How about some players from old Knoxville High School, Rule.

Forgot about Holston and the England boys.

Rule- Rick Campbell, James Chapman, and Marlon Nelson

Holston- Chris Harris, Jimmy England, Lawrence Mitchell

These are some guys that come to mind from those two old powerhouses that are no longer schools. I am sure some folks can think of some other great players from those two schools.

Side note about Rule and Holston. Does anybody remember the year ( think it was around 1978) that Rule and Holston played each other five times ( twice in district, district finals, region finals, AA state finals)? I think Holston won 4 out of 5, including state championship. Those teams were LOADED. I think Chris Harris and Rick Campbell were during that era but I'm not quite sure.