Smyrna vs. Independence

Congratulations to the Eagles - that's 5 of the last 6 years for Region 6 5A to reach the finals. Saw the Bruins play both teams this year with pretty much the same result. Sonny Gray is the real deal and you have to be impressed with Indy's sophomore QB Alex Heckman getting the job done. It should be a great game.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have the defending champs, who after a slow start are on a roll, who are favored against an up-and-coming team that earlier defeated what was supposed to be the 5A's best.

.....kinda sounds familiar

This should prove to be a very interesting matchup. Smyrna has arguably the most loaded offense in the state, including the best QB/WR tandum in Gray and Wilks. Independence, who looked absolutely horrible the first four weeks of the season, have now won 10 in a row and are riding one of the state's best defenses.

It should definitely be a fun game to watch. Just whatever you guys do, please don't start a fight over the origin of some stupid team motto.

Come on. I am waiting for all of the haters to start talking about how Smyrna hasn't seen a team as physical (Cookville), as well coached (Lincoln Co.), as upstart (Wilson Central), or as tough (Bearden). Independence will probably be picked by everybody to win this game, but that is just fine with Smyrna. They take care of business on the field and luckily don't listen to all of the "experts" on this forum.

Congrads to both indy and smyrna for making it past all expectations

I expect a close game to the end. Nobody thought that Indy's D could stand up to the running backs of Millington and Franklin...well they slowed them atleast... and Indy's offense kept Millington's offense off the field and controlled the time of possession. If Indy can have the same game plan.... they can beat Smyrna in a close game.

Indy-24

Smyrna-21

I hope Smyrna wins; I think tSmyrna had a much harder way to go. Indy deserves respect, but Smyrna got pounded on to get here by tougher opponents and is probably more beat up.

What do you judge that on? Both teams play in the toughest two regions in 5A, both teams played tough non-region schedules, and both have played excellent teams in the playoffs. Both teams were beaten up throughout the season and persevered. This will be a great game between two evenly match teams, any predictions above a td's dfference can be thrown out the window.

Agree. The game will be close. I just tend to think the east bracket has better teams. However, that does not mean that the east bracket team (Smyrna) will win. Smyrna is glad (as I am sure they agree) to not have had to play Riverdale. I think that William Blount, Farragut, Smyrna, Riverdale, DB, Bearden, Wilson Central are overall a tougher class of 5A playoff teams as compared to the Western Bracket. I know that means nothing in the title game, but it is just my opinion.

I hope Smyrna wins; I think tSmyrna had a much harder way to go. Indy deserves respect, but Smyrna got pounded on to get here by tougher opponents and is probably more beat up.

Millington had some of the fastest RB's I have ever seen in high school football. They were a legit team and deserve to be at State. This was not an easy game for Independence.