South Pittsburg vs. Mckenzie

HomeyTheClown

Its guys like you and that Rebel team that I think McKenzie is overall a class act. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Everyone has there "bad" apples. Tell the Sun that there is going to be a solar eclipse if they keep it up. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I don't guess we could tell the Jackson Sun much of anything. Actually, they don't much care for McKenzie most of the time anyway. The main reason they supported us this weekend is because we were the only ones left from west TN and we knocked out their Jackson favorite team in the third round. This may be the first time I can remember that the Rebels have gotten the Jackson media's respect. It's a shame that a team has to play for a state championship before the largest media outlet in our area recognizes them as a team unless you are a Jackson school, or Milan, or Huntingdon and a couple of others.

But, thanks for the complement. Monday we go back to work to get a team ready to try to make a run at it again in '08.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I made it to the game, and WHAT A GAME!! I am so glad I went!! Outstanding!! Congratulations to a GREAT team of young men. I didn't see any showboating or bragging or any poor sportsmanship on either side (except the penalty on MHS coach). GREAT game! Wonderful athletes- I wish them all the best for their college careers!

I have seen several other HS football teams in my time, and I must say I am so proud to be a SPHS alum!

To Pirate Tom- Saw you at the gaem but didn't get to come chat with you (sorry)... You're looking well! And I have read most of your posts, and you STILL are SUCH a class act! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

It was so great to see you, M! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> We need to get a reunion together!

I think he had a 5 gallon bucket full. I saw a few things that could have been called ,but it went both ways. Some refs call everything and some just let um play within reason. I didn't get to excited.The refs and the Chain crew didn't beat us . Those Pirates took care of that. I sort of wonder if that feller made it home.

Maybe he was a X ref. Got fired for sipping the corn. I am surprised he got by with it. I seen him staggering out the gate still cursing and complaining. I think he used the N word more than the highest memeber of the KKK, or skin head groups. Lucky he stayed on the Hampton side. They would have found him under the stands after the game. Anyone ever figure out what his problem was? I hope he didnt have a son playing for Hampton. If so I am sure he was embarrased. Nuts are everwhere.

I have one thing to say about a 1A team playing Alcoa. GV lost to SC last year 2006 pretty bad. Then SC played Alcoa in the playoffs. I was there. I will tell you you have been in on some coach talk. Alcoa destroyed SC worse than SP destroyed Mckensey. When a few days pass and the hype wears off. Then think about the posts of hanging with Maryville or Alcoa. SP has a great 1A team. Thats what it is. 1A. The leap above at the championship level is pretty evident.

If you want a dose of what a competing 2A team is. Schedule SC for a scrimmage or game. They need a crowd that travels well. No gold balls. But they are in the playoffs every year. Try em youll like em.

theyoungtiger,

I have to say that it was VERY tough to watch that game yesterday from the stands!!!! Especially knowing that our offense sputtered for 3 quarters before coming to life in the 4th. No doubt, SP's speed on defense had a lot to do with it but, a lot of the lack of offensive production was our own making too. We didn't enjoy taking that whippin' but, it was great just to get there!!!

maybe we can all do this again sometime in the near future and see how it goes. I believe that South Pittsburg is setting in pretty good shape for a little while and wouldn't count them out of the running next season. They are one of the best high school football teams I've ever seen in ANY class!!!

I'm thinking the matchups yesterday would have been better if SP had played Alcoa and we had played Goodpasture.

South Pittsburg is without a doubt the best single A team in Tennessee. Had McKenzie played their A game, the score would have been a little closer, but the Pirates would have still won. Great season Rebels. When you walk by the trophy case and see the silver ball, let it not only serve as a reminder of how far the program has come but let it also remind you there is work to be done. Two travesties: 1.That no running back from the Pirate team was named Mr. Football and 2.Murfreesboro seems unable to handle the traffic and the parking of a Friday afternoon game. Again, congratulations to the Rebels for a great season and to the South Pittsburg Pirates for claiming the single A state title.

Especially knowing that our offense sputtered for 3 quarters before coming to life in the 4th.

You can think what you would like, but watching it on TV up here McKenzie's offense never broke through South Pitt's D. South Pitt put some younger guys in there on Defense and also started calling very conservative defensive calls. Just an oppinion, but if South Pitt had wanted it to be a shutout McKenzie would have taken a goose-egg back to west tennessee.

I have one thing to say about a 1A team playing Alcoa. GV lost to SC last year 2006 pretty bad. Then SC played Alcoa in the playoffs. I was there. I will tell you you have been in on some coach talk. Alcoa destroyed SC worse than SP destroyed Mckensey. When a few days pass and the hype wears off. Then think about the posts of hanging with Maryville or Alcoa. SP has a great 1A team. Thats what it is. 1A. The leap above at the championship level is pretty evident.

If you want a dose of what a competing 2A team is. Schedule SC for a scrimmage or game. They need a crowd that travels well. No gold balls. But they are in the playoffs every year. Try em youll like em.

It's so hard to gauge Alcoa from the Goodpasture game. The announcers even said it at one point, it was like Alcoa was a cat and Goodpasture was a mouse. They were toying with them and doing whatever they wanted to. If they wanted to run in the middle they would, run outside they would, throw it deep they would. It is hard to compare Alcoa's performance with South Pitt because South Pitt pretty much did they same thing. I do not know if South Pitt would have beaten Alcoa, but I can say without a doubt they would have given them a better game than Goodpasture did.

I know we could not hang with Maryville or Maplewood but the Alcoa coaches were the ones talking about not being sure they could beat us. There are quite a few teams in the finals that we could hang with. I don't know that we could beat them all but we could play with all 4 teams in the 2A and 3A brackets. Alcoa is the best team of the 4...they are a machine...but we could play with them

You can think what you would like, but watching it on TV up here McKenzie's offense never broke through South Pitt's D. South Pitt put some younger guys in there on Defense and also started calling very conservative defensive calls. Just an oppinion, but if South Pitt had wanted it to be a shutout McKenzie would have taken a goose-egg back to west tennessee.

It's so hard to gauge Alcoa from the Goodpasture game. The announcers even said it at one point, it was like Alcoa was a cat and Goodpasture was a mouse. They were toying with them and doing whatever they wanted to. If they wanted to run in the middle they would, run outside they would, throw it deep they would. It is hard to compare Alcoa's performance with South Pitt because South Pitt pretty much did they same thing. I do not know if South Pitt would have beaten Alcoa, but I can say without a doubt they would have given them a better game than Goodpasture did.

OK what ever. When you see Alcoa play in person. Get back with me then. Trust me. There is no comparison. Alcoa is a small college teams nightmare.

Here I Am Fatrock. Butchie Had To Work Today. I Went To Work And Stood In Front Of My Employees All 17 Of Them. I Told Them I Seen Probably The Best High School Team I Ever Saw Play For The State Title And Won It. They All Shook My Hand And Said Congratulations To Mckenzie. I Let It Go On A Lil And Then Told The Score. And They All Hooted And Cheered. Then I Said 20 Was Scored Against The Subs. They All Agreed It Was Awesome. Some Said They Wished They'd Seen It. And Then I Dropped The Bomb. Sorta Like Ya'll Did Last Night. I Told Them South Pittsburg Won. You Coulda Heard A Pin Drop. And Then They Said Dang Butchie I Thought You Said Ya'll Were Good. I Then Said We Are, But South Pitt Was Way Better.

But Hey For You Salt Rubbers I'll Be Around The Next Few Hours. http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=10 Come Get Some. http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=10

I saw Alcoa play Marryville... Does that count?

If it was in person. Yes. TV can be deceiving. You cant exactally see the speed, on tv. I will ask you this. You think FC last year could hang with Alcoa? Or TC 2005? If you do, I think you need to learn a little more about football and the depth these teams have. Alcoa has 90 plus players. Maryville more. They can afford just to wear you down with fresh players. If nothing else.

If it was in person. Yes. TV can be deceiving. You cant exactally see the speed, on tv. I will ask you this. You think FC last year could hang with Alcoa? Or TC 2005? If you do, I think you need to learn a little more about football and the depth these teams have. Alcoa has 90 plus players. Maryville more. They can afford just to wear you down with fresh players. If nothing else.

Mo Money, i'm not tryin to argue that South Pitt would be able to beat Alcoa. But I stand by what I said that Alcoa toyed with goodpasture, and that South Pitt toyed with McKenzie. I think that South Pitt could have played a better game against Alcoa than Goodpasture did. Thats all i'm trying to claim.

And to answer your question, when i saw Alcoa and Marryville play I was struck with a revelation that there was more talent and discipline on the field than on Saturdays at Neyland stadium. Thats what shocked me so much, it wasn't the size of the lineman (not huge), or the speed of the players (who were fast), it was that there was almost no mistakes. No miscues in playcalling. Few penalties. They knew exactly what they were doing on each and every play and they did it without hesitation. I had not seen a high school football team that was so disciplined in every area.