Mater Dei 49 Father Ryan 7

DS2001

Plus Brandon Wright clinching 4th at Senior Nationals

Brandon wrestled a kid from Michigan who was 260-0 in H.S. and a 4 time Mi state champ in the conso finals. He lost a very close match that could have gone either way. Tn does have several kids each year who can compete on a national level with anyone. Hopefully each year that goes by we will produce more and more of them.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Instance Bateman from Father Ryan was a 3 time state champ If I am correct, and he also won the state title last year as well?? When he traveled to Indiana last year for the Mater Dei tourney he got beat by a kid that placed 7th in the Indiana state tourney. Does that tell you the difference in the 2 states.

Probably not a good example. If it was last year it was after Aaron's surgery. Heck I think he lost 3 down here at the Kyle Maynard duals.

Heck, Deedee Williams almost placed in the senior nationals last year and didn't even prepare for the tournament. We have great wrestlers in this state. I guess if I was from the other side of the mountain, I could tell all you Tennessee folks just how much better our wrestling is. Just like Indiana. I guess their grass is greener than ours. I thought the grass in Memphis was much greener than Arkansas!

I wouldn't get too excited about one dual match. Mater Dei is one of the premier national programs....Brandon, Florida is another top program but that doesn't mean that Florida wrestling is better than other states. Indiana has good wrestling, but its not PA, OH or one of the top states either....no top 25 teams at the moment and 5 high school wrestlers in the top 20 of their weight classes. By comparison, TN also does not have a top 25 team and has 2 wrestlers listed in WIN's top 20.

We obviously have alot of work to do for TN wrestling which many are doing. It takes a grass roots effort and it is all about making your kids and middle school programs better along with the high schools.

Whizzer285,

You are nuts if you feel that Tennessee should go back to an open state tournament!!!! It wouldn't be fair and my "LITTLE JOHNNY/JANE" may not win or place in the state. Why would my school want to compete with those bad schools that recruit or out work me and my school?

FAIR!!!!! Its not about FAIR!!!!!!!! Its about who gets out there and bust their tale to be the best that they can be on the mat. I went to a very small school in Indiana and I advanced and placed in the state tournament. 656 kids in our 6-12 school. I'm just saying to have a more competitive state tournament in Tennesse, with the so few schools that have wrestling it needs to be a single class. I am sick of hearing how private schools recruit, this might happen i don't know, and i don't care. Just because Mater Dei recruits that doesn't mean they automatically hand you a state championship , and before you think it, I DID NOT attend a private school. I have beat kids from private schools to advance to state my senior year and they attended one of those BAD PRIVATE SCHOOLS!!! Also if you are getting outworked as you said, thats not right to FAULT a private school. You need to FAULT yourself!!!!!! That excuse is such a COPOUT!!!!! So maybe I am CRAZY!!!!! Who knows??? Maybe if you get some time you can attend Indianas state tourney and see the difference. I have attended both!!! I KNOW!!!!! Single class will make for a better state tournament. Who wouldn't want to see Division1 and 2 go at it!!!!! Go to single class and you can see who the real champs are!!!!!

Probably not a good example. If it was last year it was after Aaron's surgery. Heck I think he lost 3 down here at the Kyle Maynard duals.

I am not trying to offend or argue with anyone!!!! I just think a single class would make for a better and more exciting state tournament. I just get sick of the same excuses I continue to hear. Yeah private schools are always tough for the most part, i agree. Mater Dei 2 years ago won their 12th team title. Do you know how many Individual Champions they had that year?? NOT 1, so public can compete with private I don't care what anyone says!!!!!!!

FAIR!!!!! Its not about FAIR!!!!!!!! Its about who gets out there and bust their tale to be the best that they can be on the mat. I went to a very small school in Indiana and I advanced and placed in the state tournament. 656 kids in our 6-12 school. I'm just saying to have a more competitive state tournament in Tennesse, with the so few schools that have wrestling it needs to be a single class. I am sick of hearing how private schools recruit, this might happen i don't know, and i don't care. Just because Mater Dei recruits that doesn't mean they automatically hand you a state championship , and before you think it, I DID NOT attend a private school. I have beat kids from private schools to advance to state my senior year and they attended one of those BAD PRIVATE SCHOOLS!!! Also if you are getting outworked as you said, thats not right to FAULT a private school. You need to FAULT yourself!!!!!! That excuse is such a COPOUT!!!!! So maybe I am CRAZY!!!!! Who knows??? Maybe if you get some time you can attend Indianas state tourney and see the difference. I have attended both!!! I KNOW!!!!! Single class will make for a better state tournament. Who wouldn't want to see Division1 and 2 go at it!!!!! Go to single class and you can see who the real champs are!!!!!

Don't allow your blood pressure to elevate too high as it was only a joke!!!!!! I would like to see everyone placed back together for one big state tournament but I don't feel that will ever happen. Through the years I have watched the state tournaments in the following states: California, Tennessee, PA, Ohio, Florida, GA, Alabama, Virginia, Maryland, New York and the National Preps so I have watched some decent high school wrestling.

Whizzer,

Why dont you jump on I-65, drive North for a 6 hours and keep your rear there? Noone wants to hear your bull. As a former HS wrestler in TN, I can tell you that the talent pool is really not as far off as you state. Lets compare the top two products from both states from recent years, Alex Tsirtsis and Phillip Simpson. Tsirtsis 7th at Ncaas. Phillip 3 all american certificates. Needless to say that Tsirtsis has one year left, but Simpson as an individual outperformed him.

Whizzer,

Why dont you jump on I-65, drive North for a 6 hours and keep your rear there? Noone wants to hear your bull. As a former HS wrestler in TN, I can tell you that the talent pool is really not as far off as you state. Lets compare the top two products from both states from recent years, Alex Tsirtsis and Phillip Simpson. Tsirtsis 7th at Ncaas. Phillip 3 all american certificates. Needless to say that Tsirtsis has one year left, but Simpson as an individual outperformed him.

[/quo

WOW!!!!! did I strike a nerve!!!!!! LOL. If you want to compare top prospects, you are in alot of trouble. How many wrestlers from Tennesse are wrestling D-1? I know of a few. The kid from Tenn. who is wrestling for Missourri, he is the real deal. Prospects from Indiana??? Where do I begin. Matt Coughlin@ IU, Angel Escobedo IU, Ian HInton Michigan State, Brady Richardson, Tsirits, Howe going to Wisconsin, Cooper Samuels going to IU./ I could go on forever. Tsirtis is not the only top prospect from Indiana in the last few years by far!!!!

WOW!!!!! did I strike a nerve!!!!!! LOL. If you want to compare top prospects, you are in alot of trouble. How many wrestlers from Tennesse are wrestling D-1? I know of a few. The kid from Tenn. who is wrestling for Missourri, he is the real deal. Prospects from Indiana??? Where do I begin. Matt Coughlin@ IU, Angel Escobedo IU, Ian HInton Michigan State, Brady Richardson, Tsirits, Howe going to Wisconsin, Cooper Samuels going to IU./ I could go on forever. Tsirtis is not the only top prospect from Indiana in the last few years by far!!!!

Coming out of high school with what was expected of each of the two, Simpson and Tsirtsis were the top two prospects of recent years.