Family Ring Counts

FBEmeritus

Well Maryville boosters, supporters and fans it is that time of the year again where we find ourselves in the precarious situation of having to come up with thousands of dollars to help purchase State Championship rings for our team and coaches. A good problem to have so no complaints here because I have again been given some great football watching memories this past year and it is time to pay up. So send in those checks!

While I was looking at my expenses this year again during Christmas, I was wondering just how much I can afford to contribute this year. I had two thoughts. Although 60 in a row and a four-peat is huge even greater is the fact that every football player on the roster since 1998 has left school with at least one Championship Ring to keep his memories fresh whenever he takes a look at it. I also wondered which family has in its possession the most rings.

My first thoughts were the Clement Brothers and the Smith Brothers. I would think each of these families have at least 8-9 rings each, and counting!. I know the Maples boys have a few as well. What other families during this 10 year run of success have a collection of rings?

Anyway it is time to belly up to the window and make that Ring purchase contribution. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

You may want to look at the Sudderth family tree in Alcoa...I know that they have a mint of them from the 70's 80's and recently.

As far as how many under one roof, that would be a good question.

At the Jamboree this year at Alcoa, some one asked me why we did not have air-conditioning in our press box, as much money is pumped into Alcoa High...I explained we have to spend our profits from each year on rings.

There were no follow-up questions.

Most of us only remember brothers when the brothers were good players. However, not many people realize that there were 7 sets of brothers on the 2001 team alone. Since MHS won the state in 2000, 2001 & 2002, there are several "multi" ring families from those teams. Most recently (before this year) Dee Arrington and Marvin Arrington have several rings. When MHS wins so many titles, it's really not that surprising that there are many "multi" ring families.

Most of us only remember brothers when the brothers were good players. However, not many people realize that there were 7 sets of brothers on the 2001 team alone. Since MHS won the state in 2000, 2001 & 2002, there are several "multi" ring families from those teams. Most recently (before this year) Dee Arrington and Marvin Arrington have several rings. When MHS wins so many titles, it's really not that surprising that there are many "multi" ring families.

I forgot about that year. Just off the top of my head I think there were

The Clements

The Bakers

The Smith's

The Kilebrew's

I'll have to get my old rosters out and get back on this one.

I used to joke with Andrew Clement about how many brothers he had left after I found out about Caleb.

And with the Smiths I was always like "I thought that kid had graduated" not realizing it was a different brother with the name SMITH on the back of their jersey.

It's really quite funny how many of these brothers just happen to come right after each other and contribute greatly to keeping the winning tradition going.