Best Alcoa Team of All-Time

alcoa06

There has only been 2 state champion Alcoa teams to beat Maryville and go 15-0 and that was 89 and 00. I played on the 2000 team and we were a very fast and smart but not very big. The 89 team was big, fast, and smart, They'd have to be the best team I've seen, but the 00 team could match their speed. The reason I don't put the 05 team on the list is because they went 14-1 and they're secondary couldnt match up with with the 89 or 00 teams. And the 89 team was ranked 24th in the espn/usatoday national poll!

[/quote/]

I believe that for the top teams to be considered they should have to be undefeated. So I believe that the decision should be between the 89 team and the 00 team. Both of those teams went undefeated and beat Maryville and none of the last four championship teams can say that. So because I have never seen the 89 team play and I played for the 00 team, the best team in Alcoa history is the 00 team. The team speed, depth, and toughness couldnt be matched. We had a very hard schedule that year and continually made the plays that we had to to win. Here are some of the wins Maryvill 12-4 state champs, WB winning record, Heritage winning record (probably their best team ever), Loudon twice (probably their best team ever), AE twice(one of their best teams not to mention Corey Anderson was on that team), Goodpasture (defending state champs), and finally Union City 14-1 with the best running back in the state on their team. So I would put that resume up against any Alcoa team. All the teams were great, I just believe that the 2000 team was the best.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that for the top teams to be considered they should have to be undefeated. So I believe that the decision should be between the 89 team and the 00 team. Both of those teams went undefeated and beat Maryville and none of the last four championship teams can say that. So because I have never seen the 89 team play and I played for the 00 team, the best team in Alcoa history is the 00 team. The team speed, depth, and toughness couldnt be matched. We had a very hard schedule that year and continually made the plays that we had to to win. Here are some of the wins Maryvill 12-4 state champs, WB winning record, Heritage winning record (probably their best team ever), Loudon twice (probably their best team ever), AE twice(one of their best teams not to mention Corey Anderson was on that team), Goodpasture (defending state champs), and finally Union City 14-1 with the best running back in the state on their team. So I would put that resume up against any Alcoa team. All the teams were great, I just believe that the 2000 team was the best.

Good information even if it is biased...however 89 still trumps 00

They more than match your team speed (Turk, K.J.,Shannon, Chad, Russ...), depth and toughness (Jamie one of the hardest hitters ever)

We know they beat Maryville, but they also defeated a very tough Kingston team and nationally ranked BA and if you're into that sort thing they (89 team) ended up no. 24 in the U.S. of A

Come on Alcoachamps5 are you serious when you say the secondary on the 2005 team was subpar. Three of the four starters will end up at DI institutions Lanxter@ Kentucky, Sommers @ Kentucky (that is what i've heard anyway), Love @ Tennessee (invited walk on), not to mention Alex Green who was an incredible corner and was largely responsible for all of those Intercptions Brian had because Green always had his man covered so tightly that no QB would even think of throwing his way, forcing the pass to go else where.

Now as for who is better, talent along with training and development has advance so much since 1989 that I don't believe that you could say that if you lined up 05 and 89 that 89 would win. But I do believe that the ridiculous speed and athletisism on the 2000 team might be able to confuse the 05 team with Meadows Wing T offense, so in that matchup I would give the nod to the 2000 team. But without a doubt the best, in comparison to the other teams of their day, is the 1989 team they were nationaly ranked after all. So depending on which barometer you choose to judge the teams are those are my answers.

[/quote/]

I played on that 89 Kingston team and we were the 2nd best team in the State that year behind Alcoa. You talk about size, speed, and depth, Jamie Henry 6'3 215, Mitchell 6'3 230 and both ran like deer, not to mention Chad Smith, Kevin Jackson, and maybe the fastest player in Alcoa History Billy Williams, two NFL players. Back then only 2 teams made the playoffs and there were only 3 divisions state wide and public and privates were together. As far as AE and Loudon they both were really good with players like Psalm Bailey, Jabbar Troutman, and Joey Hardy, even Harriman was good they went 8-2 and didn't make the playoffs. That 89 team beat a Brentwood Academy team like a drum in the championship game, Alcoa toughest game that year was Kingston. That team could have dominated any team in the state that year, you cant say that about the 2000 team. You mentioned Cory Anderson, he would have had a hard time starting on that 89 team, I saw both teams play, 89 without a doubt is better, this one of the best teams to ever lace it up in the entire state.

I played on that 89 Kingston team and we were the 2nd best team in the State that year behind Alcoa. You talk about size, speed, and depth, Jamie Henry 6'3 215, Mitchell 6'3 230 and both ran like deer, not to mention Chad Smith, Kevin Jackson, and maybe the fastest player in Alcoa History Billy Williams, two NFL players. Back then only 2 teams made the playoffs and there were only 3 divisions state wide and public and privates were together. As far as AE and Loudon they both were really good with players like Psalm Bailey, Jabbar Troutman, and Joey Hardy, even Harriman was good they went 8-2 and didn't make the playoffs. That 89 team beat a Brentwood Academy team like a drum in the championship game, Alcoa toughest game that year was Kingston. That team could have dominated any team in the state that year, you cant say that about the 2000 team. You mentioned Cory Anderson, he would have had a hard time starting on that 89 team, I saw both teams play, 89 without a doubt is better, this one of the best teams to ever lace it up in the entire state.

Now I stated that the 89 team was the best, but I will not agree with them being faster than the 00 team. Billy Williams was fast, but he will tell you himself that he was no where near Rainer or Lundy! Overall team speed on the 00 and 89 team are very close but I know for a fact that Billy sure wasn't the fastest player ever.

Come on Alcoachamps5 are you serious when you say the secondary on the 2005 team was subpar. Three of the four starters will end up at DI institutions Lanxter@ Kentucky, Sommers @ Kentucky (that is what i've heard anyway), Love @ Tennessee (invited walk on), not to mention Alex Green who was an incredible corner and was largely responsible for all of those Intercptions Brian had because Green always had his man covered so tightly that no QB would even think of throwing his way, forcing the pass to go else where.

Now as for who is better, talent along with training and development has advance so much since 1989 that I don't believe that you could say that if you lined up 05 and 89 that 89 would win. But I do believe that the ridiculous speed and athletisism on the 2000 team might be able to confuse the 05 team with Meadows Wing T offense, so in that matchup I would give the nod to the 2000 team. But without a doubt the best, in comparison to the other teams of their day, is the 1989 team they were nationaly ranked after all. So depending on which barometer you choose to judge the teams are those are my answers.

If you haven't noticed the recruiting ways have changed somewhat since the early days. I'm not taking anything away from these players, but there were plenty of players in the 90's and early 00 that were better than these you have listed and most never went on to play college ball. I know for a fact that the 05 secondary wouldn't last a quarter with the team speed of the 00 or 89 team. now the 00 team had probably the best safety Alcoa's ever had in Meschendorf and I do believe that secondary only gave up 100 yrds. one time that year and that was Marvyille. This is just my opinion though.

Alcoachamp5, this sounds just like me, you, and a certian Alcoa coach, who also played on your 2000 team, conversation over thanksgiving break in the weight room at the high school......Ha

I will for sure give the speed advantage to the 2000 team, their team speed was absolutely ridiculous, and running the wing-t made it even harder to stop. If there is a book on how to run a wing-t then the 2000 Alcoa team should be used for the example.

The 2005 team I would give the edge to the line play, especially the defensive line. Previous Alcoa teams didnt commit themselves in the weight room as much as Reid's teams(this is coming from former players), so I think the lines for the 2005 team would be able control the line of scrimmage.

The 2005 secondary would be helped by the fact that the 2005 defensive line would get pressure on any quarterback without ever blitzing.

I was only 2 years old when 1989 was winning their gold, so I cant comment on that team.

Many people have said, "Only 2000 and 1989 beat Maryville and went undefeated," but I argue that 2000 and 1989 only won one state championship, where as 2005 won two.

Many people have pointed out that 2000 and 1989 were the only two teams to beat Maryville but you must take this into consideration Maryvile was not as dominant those years as they have been in more recent years. In 1989 maryville was 5-5 so that point is null, and in 2000 Maryvile lost its first four games including a 28 point loss to heritage it is pretty obvious to me that that was not a typical maryvile team at that point in the season. Yes Meschendorf was a great player and was probaly the overall MVP of the title game until he left late injured but he was no more talented than Kyrus. The secondary in 2000 played no one that could throw in any half way decent maner. I would also like you to answer me what team threw for more than 100 yds on the 2005 first other than Maryville. Mr.Rainer you should know better than anyone that the speed and agility of the 2000 team would run by the 2005 team but they would not throw on them. This is largely because the wing T prevents the use of drop back passing due to the motion and decption involved in offense. Most all pass plays involve a one step drop or the quaterback to boot out to one side of the field effectivley limiting the play to work to only one side of the field. This is how the offense was intended to work since its inception in bay city michigan.

Clint, were all getting older, /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> went back to check the score and it was 21-14.

I remember Casteel of all people, caught a bomb from Irwin on Maryville's first possession and it was a dogfight the rest of the way.

Kokie, Dutchy, Sam and the rest were a handfull for anybody and as I remember Alcoa breezed the rest of the way.

Great game...thought we had it.

Now I stated that the 89 team was the best, but I will not agree with them being faster than the 00 team. Billy Williams was fast, but he will tell you himself that he was no where near Rainer or Lundy! Overall team speed on the 00 and 89 team are very close but I know for a fact that Billy sure wasn't the fastest player ever.

I like how you talk about yourself...yet suited up I'll take Turk. And Beaver was uncatchable since he always ran faster when he was being chased /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I never said he was the fastest , I said one of the fastest, I played with him in the Tennessee- Kentucky Allstar game and he was clocked at a 4.42, at Neyland with jogging pants on; on the main field which was turf back then. He maybe was not the fastest but he is probably in the top 3.