Dyersburg's New Head Coach

westTNFBfan

dang it...ya pecker wood

my top 3 was wright, peel and counce....but i forgot about sawyers........

so my new top 3 are counce, peel and sawyers........those guys all made great contributions

A legend in your own minds. Just because you say it, doesn't make it so. And yes I am a Trojan fan, but not one who wears those rose colored or should I say black and gold glasses. How arrogant can people be? All should bow before the powerful OZ. When I think of coaching legends names like John Tucker, Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno come to mind. Nobody outside of Dyersburg would actually think that James Counce's name could even be said in the same sentence with those legends. Sure he's had some good teams but a legend give me a break. Since you guys are so good at giving definitions, here's one for ya.

leg?·end (ljnd)

n.

a. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.

b. A body or collection of such stories.

c. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i mean come on, who else from this county could be a sports legend??????????legend - (n) celebrity, someone famous or admired for a skill or talent

for 12 years james counce turned boys into men........turned a fledging football program into a consistent region contender and 10 straight playoff appearances.....that fits the definition.....

and speaking of local sports legends, i only know of 3 sports figures from dyer county who meets that definition and probably 90% of the people on this board never heard of 2 of them.......

outside of coach counce, who are the other 2 ????????

here is a hint......one owned and operated a gas station in downtown dyersburg, and the other was a poor farm boy from finley......

come on stevieray......you know the answer i am sure.....but hold off for a while and give someone else a chance to answer...

I'm speaking from a slightly biased opinion, BUT ............. There has been a Gold Ball in Dyer County for some 34 years ........ as well as a Silver one to go along with it AND a 10-0 regular season that should have wound up with another Gold Ball had I (as in me) not dropped 2 kicks inside the 10 - 15 yard line. If you are speaking solely of Dyersburg High School you may be right, butI beleive you said Dyer County, you are most definitely leaving someone out ! 1973 STATE CHAMPIONS, 1974 10 - 0 Regular Season 10 -1 overall (YES I BLEW IT), 1975 STATE RUNNER UP IN OVERTIME 3 - 0 ! Head Coach of the East / West Allstar Game 1973. Also coached at Dyersburg as an assistant coach for a former assistant coach of his own. StevieRay knows exactly who I'm talkin' about as do several others posting on here. If the others qualify (and I'm certain that they do) then I would think that the ONLY Head Coach to bring a Gold Ball AND a Silver Ball to our county would qualify as well. Now if you are only speaking of Dyersburg High School I would agree, BUT I beleive you said Dyer County . That being said, I beleive there is one missing from your list !

IT IS ABOUT TEACHING BOYS ON HOW TO BECOME MEN....

for 12 years james counce turned boys into men........turned a fledging football program into a consistent region contender

How about 20 + years & See Gold & Silver Ball acheivements above, not to mention Conference Championships before there were Districts & Regions, etc.

that fits the definition

No intent to belittle the Counce's return. I'm happy that they are back as well. But if the qualifications for a "Legend" are what you say they are then there is definitely a name missing ! Welcome back Coach Counce,Sr & Coach Counce, Jr !

man, some of you people would find fault in jesus christ.....

no mr davis, a gold ball by itself does not make for a legend..........but i do know who you are talking about and yes, he too would be a "local" legend.....

comparing john tucker to bear bryant as a legend is like comparing me to john holmes......no comparison.....neither measure up.....

john tucker is a legend in gibson cnty.....bear bryant is a legend nationally.....

you can have a local legend.... /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

how bout ole coach "L" up at marshall, coached only 4 or 5 years and won maybe 3 games......but he is a legend in that community.........not for his "gold balls", wins, but only for breathing life into young men and keeping the game alive......

ike peel is a local legend, james counce is a local legend, jc sawyers is a local legends........and yes, even abe davis is a local legend......one i overlooked....

and oh mark, your definition fits none of those legends you mentioned /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> and yes i have rose colored glasses, cause i am looking for as many positive local legends as i can find, because outside of dyer county, when you mention dyer county to people, they only think of the sheriff who stole the sheep......or the judge who kept a sleeping bag under his desk..........both of those are a "legend" that will fit your description:)

man, some of you people would find fault in jesus christ.....no mr davis, a gold ball by itself does not make for a legend..........but i do know who you are talking about and yes, he too would be a "local" legend.....comparing john tucker to bear bryant as a legend is like comparing me to john holmes......no comparison.....neither measure up.....john tucker is a legend in humboldt.....bear bryant is a legend nationally.....you can have a local legend.... /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> how bout ole coach "L" up at marshall, coached only 4 or 5 years and won maybe 3 games......but he is a legend in that community.........not for his "gold balls", wins, but only for breathing life into young men and keeping the game alive......ike peel is a local legend, james counce is a local legend, jc sawyers is a local legends........and yes, even abe davis is a local legend......one i overlooked.... and oh mark, your definition fits none of those legends you mentioned /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" /> and yes i have rose colored glasses, cause i am looking for as many positive local legends as i can find, because outside of dyer county, when you mention dyer county to people, they only think of the sheriff who stole the sheep......or the judge who kept a sleeping bag under his bench..........both of those are a "legend" that will fit your description:)

I believe John Tucker was from Milan.

i hope you got the point.....yes his legend was based on the success at milan

Hey MG, Don't get sensitive on me now ! I was just reading the post & noticed that the only coach to bring both Gold & Silver to Dyer County was not included. Granted I'm somewhat biased from the "rose colored glasses" that I look through, but the lives of young men that Ab Davis had an effect on as well as the accomplishments qualify him in my opinion. You & I have not had cross words on here & I don't want any hard feelings. I was simply trying to add another name to your list (assuming that you were talking about Dyer County as a county).As for what StevieRay said re: the stadium, I don't know. I do know that he left D.C. to become a part of the Trojan Program when Errol Hook (the former D.C. assistant) called on him. He had previously retired from coaching @ D.C. but was still teaching there. Some at D.C. didn't take that move very well. But ........ as it seems has become common place one has to make decisions in their own best interest. People outside coaching circles don't understand retirement & then returning, primarily because they coach all the time from the recliner or the bleachers. I understand & respect Couch Counce's reasoning & both his decision to leave ........ and his decision to return and am "tickled to death" that they (the Counce's) have returned. I'm happy for all Trojan faithful & the kids as well.

Hey MG, Don't get sensitive on me now ! I was just reading the post & noticed that the only coach to bring both Gold & Silver to Dyer County was not included. Granted I'm somewhat biased from the "rose colored glasses" that I look through, but the lives of young men that Ab Davis had an effect on as well as the accomplishments qualify him in my opinion. You & I have not had cross words on here & I don't want any hard feelings. I was simply trying to add another name to your list (assuming that you were talking about Dyer County as a county).As for what StevieRay said re: the stadium, I don't know. I do know that he left D.C. to become a part of the Trojan Program when Errol Hook (the former D.C. assistant) called on him. He had previously retired from coaching @ D.C. but was still teaching there. Some at D.C. didn't take that move very well. But ........ as it seems has become common place one has to make decisions in their own best interest. People outside coaching circles don't understand retirement & then returning, primarily because they coach all the time from the recliner or the bleachers. I understand & respect Couch Counce's reasoning & both his decision to leave ........ and his decision to return and am "tickled to death" that they (the Counce's) have returned. I'm happy for all Trojan faithful & the kids as well.

i really do not think "sensitive" is me, or so i have been told.... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

but i did correct my post because yes, ab davis very well fits the description of a local legend.....one i simply overlooked....

i really do not think "sensitive" is me, or so i have been told.... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

but i did correct my post because yes, ab davis very well fits the description of a local legend.....one i simply overlooked....

With the primary / initial topic being related to Dyersburg, coupled with the excitement of the "Coaches Counce" returning I understand ! I don't know how the Trojan faithful could have had a more Merry Christmas ! Merrry Christmas Trojans ! The football Santa has brought you a bag FULL of presents !

I got another home town legend that should be mentioned. How about class of 1994 Choctaw Kevin Edgin who gave his life for his country? Legends don't have to win trophys or state championships. I am glad though that DHS and DC are happy with the direction of their programs, now we can all move on and do what's important JUST PLAY THE GAME.

Well, I suppose all this controversy over who is and who isn't a legend is my fault.

Yes, I put the headline there for all to see because I truly believe James Counce is a 'legend' to those following Trojan football and simply believed the headline would further juice those up that wanted Counce back in Dyersburg, which for the most part I think it did.

However, I would be stupid not to include Ab Davis in the group of legends, but coach Davis wasnt returning to coach. If he was, the headline would have said the same thing 'The Legend Returns'.

It simply amazes me at some of the comments on this site, and I didn't do anything to knowingly start such a controversy, but more so just wanted the people and fans of the program to get excited about Counce returning.

Now that all this has come up over one word, would I do it again....absolutely.

I am not old enough to remember all the greats that have graced the sidelines locally, but I do remember Davis and his accomplishments. In my mind, he is a legend.

As for Counce, no he hasn't won a state championship at Dyersburg, but in alot of people's minds, he is a legend.

With everything going on in the world today, it seems rather stupid to have to defend calling someone a legend, but the man took a program from a cellar dwellar to a periennal power, and in my mind, yes, at least in Dyersburg, Counce is a legend.

Sorry for starting such a controversy.

Well, I suppose all this controversy over who is and who isn't a legend is my fault.

Yes, I put the headline there for all to see because I truly believe James Counce is a 'legend' to those following Trojan football and simply believed the headline would further juice those up that wanted Counce back in Dyersburg, which for the most part I think it did.

However, I would be stupid not to include Ab Davis in the group of legends, but coach Davis wasnt returning to coach. If he was, the headline would have said the same thing 'The Legend Returns'.

It simply amazes me at some of the comments on this site, and I didn't do anything to knowingly start such a controversy, but more so just wanted the people and fans of the program to get excited about Counce returning.

Now that all this has come up over one word, would I do it again....absolutely.

I am not old enough to remember all the greats that have graced the sidelines locally, but I do remember Davis and his accomplishments. In my mind, he is a legend.

As for Counce, no he hasn't won a state championship at Dyersburg, but in alot of people's minds, he is a legend.

With everything going on in the world today, it seems rather stupid to have to defend calling someone a legend, but the man took a program from a cellar dwellar to a periennal power, and in my mind, yes, at least in Dyersburg, Counce is a legend.

Sorry for starting such a controversy.