TTU camp: June 12 - 15

booboodafool

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there to watch Knoxville Central, so I'm familiar with the teams they played. Elizabethton looks strong again. Guard play was a little erratic. VERY strong insid. Redd is a man inside. Hume-Fogg was excellent at guard but weak inside. Hernedon(?)is a deadly shooter/scorer. East Robertson might have a down year. Hickman Co.s' center is pretty good but if you stop him no one else stepped up to help score. Central played Celina and Lebanon but I did not see either game. Central will have as good a guard duo as anyone. Devon Hundley at point is as quick as anyone I have seen and seems to consistently rebound over bigger, stronger opponents and Zach Conner is close to unstoppable one on one (ask Elizabethton). Central will be much improved over a dismal year last year of playin almost all sophs.

Thank you for your input. The big boy for Elizabethton is very good. I heard he is only 16 so I'm thinking he's still growing. What is his whole name? When speaking of Hernedon do you mean Harriford for Hume-Fogg? I also heard that they have another very good guard named Alex Renfroe. If you can shed anymore light on this let me know. Thanks in advance.

[Edited by booboodafool on 6/17/02 12:31A]

[Edited by booboodafool on 6/17/02 12:32A]

I also was at the TTU camp. I had the opportunity to watch Elizabethton play on several ocassions, Vince Reed is a man, he has touch for a big man, but his downfall is he plays a little lazy at times. He could EASILY be a division one basketball player at a Mid-Major school, but I believe he will head the other route with football and go gig time (Va Tech, Miami, Penn State, etc ) The guard for Elizabthton has potential to become one of the better AA point guards b4 years end. I was impressed with Knox Central too, but credit both Elizabethton and Central with their defense. This is what will win both teams a lot of games this season.

Hume Fogg didnt look bad, but they really need a big man presense to get out of their district. Portland played well at the Gallatin team camp by beating Gallatin and some others, and losing close to Maplewood, but their guard play will be a question mark throughout the year.

Lebanon looked good, but their coach has a totally different style of summer coaching, I know they have a lot of talent, but who knows what will come about it all.

I will be at the UTC team camp this week and will let everyone know what I think about the teams represented there.

Brian thank you for your input... I just want to know more about all the teams that were there. I havent heard a lot of input about Lebanon, Knox Central, East Robertson, Hume Fogg, York, etc... I want to know in depth information like guard play and post play, maybe even coaches. Thank you. I really appreciate the information.

Elizabethton is loaded.... Walter Brown and Vince Redd will be one of the top duos in East Tennessee. They should be dominant in the Upper East, not to mention their district and region should be down this year from last. Very surprised to hear that Central is looking good. They could be the worst team in the Knoxville area in recent years. Most Knox coaches would agree that they have as much talent at Central as any school in the area(look at football). Hundley and Conner are both good high school guards, but to call Conner virtually unstoppable is quite a stretch(Clipper must be relative of his). If the Bobcats were to get discipline and fundamentals they would be as good as anyone around... York has had an inconsistent summer so far. If Tate is not hitting, their in trouble. Leffew is solid for them, but Ledbetter is just not ready to make an impact. I know Gomab has him rated high, but he is not doing much except on defense. You can't teach height though, so he definitely has the potential to be very strong. Cosby and Happy Valley are examples of teams that are beating York who shouldn't even be on the court with them....

How did Knox Central fare against Elizabethton. Rutledge beat Central at the Bearden Camp by 8-10 points. Conner is a good player for Central, but they had nobody who could slow down Singleton of Rutledge and Conner tried. Rutledge is lacking in the post this year, but they will have excellent guard play.

Guest boots

I saw the Conner kid play tonight for Central in two games at the Oak Ridge Camp. He is a really good athlete and even better appears to have an outstanding attitude. I enjoyed watching him play. Good luck to him and his Bobcat teammates this season. Looks as though Central may be back on the basketball map this season.