Union Co's Coach McBrayer resigns tonight at banquet

UCHSPAtriots

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having also playing under McBrayer he done more things than just Coach football. He made sure that we would grow up to be the best and most classy men that we could be. Coach McBrayer is a good Coach and I have all the respect for him not only as a Coach but as a man also. He changed the team around in every little aspect possible, the record might not have shown it but he did. He layed the building blocks for the next Coach to take it up another level. It just didnt help that the school board didnt respect him and give him what he needed to become a successful coach. Only one of the school board members tried to do anything to help out. The others could have caredless. I guess it didnt help that nobody in the school gave any of his teams a chance and had no support. He really was a good Coach he just never got any breaks. It was always something from a different person everyday. He had the talent and Coaching staff to have a playoff team but you need more than that to become successful. I wish the best for him and his family. God Bless

Lowest head coaching supplement in the state! Most assistant coaches in other counties make twice as much as the head coach at Union county.

Exactly! Plus the community can be pretty demanding and unrealistic. Makes it tough to get a Coach and once they get one it is tough to keep them. The pay for assistants is even lower. I have heard around $1000 a year? If they really want to build a good program the good people of Union Co are going to have to come up with a way to secure a good Coach and keep him

The minimum you should offer a head football coach (who puts in about an extra 400-500 hours a year coaching football) is $3500 and that's dirt cheap! Some school systems in other states are now paying coaches by-the-hour because of federal law and it is amazing how much more they earn.

Anyway, good luck with finding a high quality coach to come to Union Co and stay for very long when you pay them $1500 a month.

The minimum you should offer a head football coach (who puts in about an extra 400-500 hours a year coaching football) is $3500 and that's dirt cheap! Some school systems in other states are now paying coaches by-the-hour because of federal law and it is amazing how much more they earn.

Anyway, good luck with finding a high quality coach to come to Union Co and stay for very long when you pay them $1500 a month.

400-500 hours? You must be talking about in season hours. Most coaches (head coaches at least) also devote between 2 and 3 hours every day in the off season to lifting and running etc. I had a former coach tell me when he figured all the time he put into coaching football that we was working for between 5 and 10 cents per hour. If he didn't want to have an impact on the kids and didn't love the game, then he wouldn't do it. Most coaches out there just enjoy the time with students and influencing people lives...and then whatever money they get is well appreciated. Would they like more, sure. Who wouldn't?

Supplement can be misleading for a head coach. for example is he a 12 month employee? If so then he gets 2 extra months for being the football coach. so 3500 and 12 months is really pretty good. My last gig (and only gig)before my mom's stroke was 5k and 12 months, and I felt pretty good about it. We were able to pay assistant coaches 11 months and 2550. The hard part in a non motivated ($)situation is keeping good assistants.

The thing is though loyalty cannot be bought, if you take the job for peanuts you should expect peanuts and stay with your program as long as wanted or until retirement. Everybody knows that you won't get paid enough by the hour. I would never have left if not for the need of me back here in East Tennessee. I did it for the kids and the relationships you get to establish. We are lucky folks who get paid anything for something we would do for free. Again just my opinion.

I think the point is... A good coach isn't in it for the money, they're in it for love of the game and the influence on the development of young men. However, they can stay or choose to go to where the money is best. In Union Co., it may be the worst. It's hard to attract the best with just love of the game, influence, etc... when they can stay where they are and do the same and get paid for it.

Exactly...As a player who has been coached under Coach McBrayer for 4 years, I know how much time he has put into this program. And the money out of HIS pocket that the county didnt give him. Its so crazy how they deprive money from a program were the money is needed. And as coachs pay..you all are right, it was low way low. But he sacrificed pay for the program and the players. He cared about the players alot, like his own family. He would do anything for them. ANd he chose to come here for the team and the potenail of the team. And for that he gave up alot onf money. And so just like tipical Union County they get rid of him because he didnt win state in his first year. We were lucky we got Coach to come here in the first place. I have lived in Union Co my whole life and it is so screwed up. As always they screw things up. I have all the respect in the world for Coach McBrayer and i feel he would do anyting for this team. I admire him for stickin it out this long in this screwed up county.

GOD BLESS COACH MCBRAYER!!!!! - UC PAT #66