Region 3-3A 2008 Favorites & Why

OldBallCoach88

old charger.....now don't get me wrong....i'm not saying that he shouldn't be punished if he has done something wrong...i am just wondering how some many of you posters know so much about what went on...the only point i am making is why are alot of people on here trying to bash the kid now...why not wait and get all the facts...but i have been reading coacht for years and would never join or post but i get tired of reading the boards and people on here bashing KIDS..i mean i bet alot of you are grown men but alot of people hide behind a screan and bash KIDS...kids make mistakes ,we all do...how many of you live a perfect life..i'm not taking any sides and if the kid was doing wrong he should be punished but i will NEVER get on a board and bash a kid for making a mistake...i'm sure he reads this crap like everyone else does.......Mr. Jackson...son i pray for you, i hope that you get your act together and don't let these people talk about you cause everyone on here has made a mistake or two....son hold your head up and learn from your mistakes..don't let it ruin your life.....

Here is the thing, in our lives we make decisions everyday. Many are simple; what to wear, when to eat etc. The others are more difficult and with any decisions comes consequences. The problem I am seeing today is that kids are given chance after chance and are not being held accountable for their decisions. Parents, teachers and coach's make every excuse for kids and why their children or players troubles is always someone else's fault. I have seen countless kids go to college to play sports only to come home in a couple of months because it was too hard or the coach was not treating him or her fairly. It all starts by the coach's and parents being escape artist for their kids in high school. In college the coach's care less about your feelings and if you can't cut it then they will find someone who can. If you do not have self discipline and are not responsibile your going to fail. Quess what folks? Life is not fair and the reason alot of these kids fail is because they have not had to be accountable for their actions or they have had no responsibility, they don't know what its like to fail. Remember the law of the harvest "we reap what we sow". In other words what we do today could effect us tomorrow or maybe even years from now.

As for Mr. Jackson, this is not his first time getting in trouble or placing himself around illegal substances. Lets remember he made these decisions on his own and being an innocent bystander is starting to be a habit. Remember the old saying " if your hanging around the pond I am going to assume your drinking the water "!

This next scenario is going to be for all of you bleeding hearts, who feel that we should bend over backwards time and time again for these same kids that make the same mistakes over and over without learning.

Hypothetically lets say a high school student is under the influence and hurts your wife or child or lets say maybe this student sells something to your child and gets caught. Do you ask the court to give the student another chance to straighten his/her life up? What if you realize this is his/her second time being caught with an illegal substance? I bet all of you that stand up and say we need to be giving these young men and women chance after chance would be singing another song if this in someway affected you or your family. However most feel "if it doesn't affect me personally I don't care, heck give him/her another chance everyone makes mistakes their just kids". Those of you with this attitude are whats hurting our teenagers today. As a parent, teacher and coach you should expect more out of your children and teach them that they have decisions to make in life and that they need to think about these choices but whatever they choose they will be held accountable and pay the consequences.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6+4+3=2

i agree with you. but the problem i have is, why do people get on these boards and bash kids...i just don't agree with that...if someone is wrong or right...why get on here and bash a child...that's the only reason i joined and started posting was trying to figure why people are bashing kids...then what gets me is they bash kids behind a screen name...

6+4+3=2

i agree with you. but the problem i have is, why do people get on these boards and bash kids...i just don't agree with that...if someone is wrong or right...why get on here and bash a child...that's the only reason i joined and started posting was trying to figure why people are bashing kids...then what gets me is they bash kids behind a screen name...

I have been reading these for a couple of days myself, and I dont think that people have been bashing "Kids" I think they are just speaking out about everyone being responsible for their own actions.

I am a huge advocate of giving any one a second chance, and I dont even have a problem giving a third chance, as long as you are willing to give that same number of chances to everyone else involved. It just seems that in todays sports the better athletes get more chances, than other members of the team that may not have the same tallent. If this same instance involved a B team player or a freshmen, they would probably be used as an example and everyone would be happy(except that kid). A wise friend of mine always says " Hard work beats tallent, when tallent don't work" this is true in any system that is operated correctly.

There are kids on teams that finally get an opportunity to play when another kid is on suspension, then the suspended player comes back and he will most always go right back to his spot, which rolls that kid right back to the bench. Why dont we give that kid(the one that has not been suspended) the same number of chances that we are giving the one that got in trouble? There are many ways to look at every situation.

Kids are going to school to get an education and try to become active, productive citizens, athletics is a privelage that they get to enjoy along the way. Very few kids in our local communities are going to ever make a living playing sports, if they are very lucky, they may have athletics help pay for a portion of their college.

I for one will never bash a kid, I will however bash a system that does not give everyone the same chance, or maintain focus on the main reason they are there in the first place.

I agree but three chances are a bit much in my book especially for drugs. I am an educator in north Georgia and in the school system where I teach if a student is caught with drugs it's a 10 day out of school suspension and the student gets to make up their work. What a joke! The 10 days is just a vacation in my book and as it turns out we have hurt more kids by this than helping them. I have seen it time and time again the same kid getting caught and because he/she is an athlete only gets a slap on the wrist and is right back to representing the school in his/her sport. IMO the school is enabling these students to keep on using these drugs and hurting themselves. If the student is sent to Aternative School for a year with no involvement in extracurricular activities I think some of these kids and their parents would be more concerned. Most of the time the parents fight the school system on the 10 days but once they find out they can make up their work they are alright with it, this is another problem but as I have learned the school district which I teach in is very different in regards to this type behavior. Parents in this county accept this type behavior as being normal or like some have said on this board as "kids just being kids". I am a former coach and for the reasons stated above and a few others including my family I no longer coach. I do however tell the student athletes in my classes that I expect more of them than the others simply because they represent our school. When I coached I told them that their actions reflected on me and the program. I would not tolerate any of my players embarrassing me or my team in the classroom or in the community, if so they would face immediate disciplinary action. I am not proud to say that the other coach's and I in two long seasons had to kick off three starters two of which were middle infielders and the other our #1 pitcher for separate incidents. Two were drug related and the other was the player lied to us about why he missed a game. The latter was very hard but he knew the rules and was told of the consequences if he was not telling the truth. It was a hard lesson but the other kids saw this and took note, if they will kick off our #1 pitcher they will not blink to dismiss me so I had better walk the line and stay out of trouble. Am I saying that these other players walked the line every day and night? Absolutely not! I know better but they sure kept a low profile on any wrong doings because we never heard of anything and kids will talk, you would be surprised to hear the things I do in a week of listening to students talk among themselves or walking the halls. Let me end by saying that winning is not everything in sports but teaching your players to be good citizens who respect their parents, teachers, coach's and one another is what we strive to do. If you do that then you are a winner no matter what your record says!!

If it is my player he is gone from my team. Does anyone have standards anymore?

And Altnative school is a joke. Zero tolerance MEANS Expelled.

NO IEP FOR :I HAVE A LEARNING DISABILITY SO I DIDNT UNDERSTAND THAT DRUGS ARE WRONG!!

Expelling them does what ??? Gives them all the free time in the world, basically giving the kid what he wants, an excuse for not going to school and to do drugs. Sit his butt in alternative school all day long. I'm pretty sure going to school and NOT getting to interact with anyone is pretty boring and if there having to get school work done to, that seems like a more fitting punishment. (I've had ISS a couple times it wasnt fun /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" )

He's my player.... Imma run him til he's clean =) That will teach him, and you actually get to see how big a heart he has. If he does all the excruciating running to stay on the team. Then ask the kid if he's willing to make all those sacrifices to stay on the team. Why would he want to hurt the team like he did ?

People change. If he was a 23 year old football player at UT its more understandable to kick him out. He's an adult. But we are talking about a 16-17 year old kid here that is in need of some guidance. Kicking him to the curb doesnt seem like the answer.

It sets the bar that you are NOT going to put up with any crap in your program.

It says that NO ONE is above the team.

You cut the cancer out of your program.

But it takes alot of mettle to do it that way.

Expelling them says we are not going to tolerate this behavior no matter who you are.

Slapping them on the wrist says " Do whatever but we will use you if it helps us win games"

And the bottom line is kids like that will go belly up when the game is on the line.

But that is my experience and my opinion.

Take it for what it is worth. You run your program anyway you wish.

Here is the thing, in our lives we make decisions everyday. Many are simple; what to wear, when to eat etc. The others are more difficult and with any decisions comes consequences. The problem I am seeing today is that kids are given chance after chance and are not being held accountable for their decisions. Parents, teachers and coach's make every excuse for kids and why their children or players troubles is always someone else's fault. I have seen countless kids go to college to play sports only to come home in a couple of months because it was too hard or the coach was not treating him or her fairly. It all starts by the coach's and parents being escape artist for their kids in high school. In college the coach's care less about your feelings and if you can't cut it then they will find someone who can. If you do not have self discipline and are not responsibile your going to fail. Quess what folks? Life is not fair and the reason alot of these kids fail is because they have not had to be accountable for their actions or they have had no responsibility, they don't know what its like to fail. Remember the law of the harvest "we reap what we sow". In other words what we do today could effect us tomorrow or maybe even years from now.

As for Mr. Jackson, this is not his first time getting in trouble or placing himself around illegal substances. Lets remember he made these decisions on his own and being an innocent bystander is starting to be a habit. Remember the old saying " if your hanging around the pond I am going to assume your drinking the water "!

This next scenario is going to be for all of you bleeding hearts, who feel that we should bend over backwards time and time again for these same kids that make the same mistakes over and over without learning.

Hypothetically lets say a high school student is under the influence and hurts your wife or child or lets say maybe this student sells something to your child and gets caught. Do you ask the court to give the student another chance to straighten his/her life up? What if you realize this is his/her second time being caught with an illegal substance? I bet all of you that stand up and say we need to be giving these young men and women chance after chance would be singing another song if this in someway affected you or your family. However most feel "if it doesn't affect me personally I don't care, heck give him/her another chance everyone makes mistakes their just kids". Those of you with this attitude are whats hurting our teenagers today. As a parent, teacher and coach you should expect more out of your children and teach them that they have decisions to make in life and that they need to think about these choices but whatever they choose they will be held accountable and pay the consequences.

Kinda beating a dead horse ain't we? Still forgetting that Mr. Jackson was proven innocent in the previous incident (singular). Also this one happened during basketball season and at night after school hours and I haven't seen a single comment bashing Coach Armstrong for lack of control either. Talk about double standards!! Don't mean to flame here but just wanted to make the point about comments not being equal. Rest assured that Mr. Jackson WILL be delt with according to the atheltic policy to its fullest extent.

Ok ok ok,, I have heard from all of you and here is what I understand. Mr. Jackson has a court date on Feb 25 in th Juv. system. I think it is sad that this one player has had more chances than Carter has peanuts!!!! He has cussed at teachers and called them names, he has choked a kid till he passed out, been in fights during a school function, football practice, and other functions. This kid has had more chances than other kids in his school, all in the name of an athlete. When the coach came here two years ago and he talked to the parents, he explained that a kids actions on the field, off the field and in the community will have a direct bearing on if the kid could play at Central. I think the parents thought he was talking about kids that act bad... Now we think it is the good kids that do their homework, try to be good citizens that he was talking about. I do think that Mr. Armstrong did what the football coach needs to do. Coach Amrstong told him he is finished and off the basketball team.. If a coach thinks that one player is his whole team,, well, maybe the other players need to stop playing and let the coach and the kid that does no wrong play the game without everyone else.

I should wait till to see what the JV court does but he was caught with drugs that a 17 year old should not have and I for one do not want my child around kids like that. Central is a great place but things like this gives us all bad names. The coach needs to follow Coach Armstrong's ideal and wash his hands of this. This has brought shame in the blue land and needs to handled accordingly. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ok ok ok,, I have heard from all of you and here is what I understand. Mr. Jackson has a court date on Feb 25 in th Juv. system. I think it is sad that this one player has had more chances than Carter has peanuts!!!! He has cussed at teachers and called them names, he has choked a kid till he passed out, been in fights during a school function, football practice, and other functions. This kid has had more chances than other kids in his school, all in the name of an athlete. When the coach came here two years ago and he talked to the parents, he explained that a kids actions on the field, off the field and in the community will have a direct bearing on if the kid could play at Central. I think the parents thought he was talking about kids that act bad... Now we think it is the good kids that do their homework, try to be good citizens that he was talking about. I do think that Mr. Armstrong did what the football coach needs to do. Coach Amrstong told him he is finished and off the basketball team.. If a coach thinks that one player is his whole team,, well, maybe the other players need to stop playing and let the coach and the kid that does no wrong play the game without everyone else.

I should wait till to see what the JV court does but he was caught with drugs that a 17 year old should not have and I for one do not want my child around kids like that. Central is a great place but things like this gives us all bad names. The coach needs to follow Coach Armstrong's ideal and wash his hands of this. This has brought shame in the blue land and needs to handled accordingly. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You are exactly what I was referring to previously. You listed a bunch of things Jackson has supposedly done and I don't know where you got your info but you are way off line. Fights at practice, Bull S..., Cussing teachers, again a load of crap, the choking incident was two kids WRESTLING And punishment, by the way that was agreed to by the parents of the victim, was dished out. This isn't even football season and you are bashing coach Derrick without a clue as to what his decision is or will be on Mr. Jackson's status NEXT year. Get a life and don't worry about what Coach Derrick will do, he will do the right thing as he has since he got here. Making false accusations hurt the Central program as much or more that the truth simply because That is what gets sensationalized and retold as the truth, make sure of your facts before repeating them in the future.

Does Meigs really lose that much? Not sure if I agree with Meigs that low, but everything else looks ok.

1. Howard- A lot coming back, speed, and all big games are at home

2. Polk- always disciplined, hard nosed players. they know how to win,well coached

-tie-

2. Central- this is all according on if Jackson plays next year? if not, they wont make the

playoffs.

3. Meigs- Tradition, good qb in rayl, they will be young but still have good skill players.

How will they adapt to a new coach?

4. East Ridge- You may think im crazy, but coach Martin will make that big of a difference,

they have athletes, questionable at QB though?

5.Notre Dame- Dont really know, they could be in the top 3, just going on last year

-tie-

5. Sequoyah- Watch out for this young team, they will upset someone this year. They

have some athletes

6. Grundy- If they stay with the veer. hard offense to defend. they can be

competitive. dont know how much they have coming back.

7. Tellico- Its just hard to win up there, they need numbers

( thats my opinion as of now. I may be way off, who knows in this crazy region?)