Criteria used for classification

redandblack63

Currently the T$$AA classifies schools as D I (public) and D II (private) giving financial assistance. Within each Division schools are put in classification based on enrollment. If a D II/Private school wants to play in D I they must multiply their enrollment by 1.8 and not give financial assistance. Up to this point I agree with the system. Private schools basically have an unlimited school zone. They can attract students from all over the area, state, country, etc... With that being said should the T$$AA go a little further and apply the multiplier to public schools who take tuition students or consider them a D II school. They have the same advantage of attracting students from a much broader area than your normal public school. These semi private high schools have definite advantage over the truly public schools that only get students from their specific zones.

So the question is this? Should public schools who enroll tuition students (semi private high schools) be considered:

A. D II due to their semi private status

B. D I and apply the multiplier of 1.8 to their enrollment for classification due to their semi private status.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently the T$$AA classifies schools as D I (public) and D II (private). Within each Division schools are put in classification based on enrollment. If a D II schools wants to play in D I they must multiply their enrollment by 1.8 for classification purposes. Up to this point I agree with the system. Private schools basically have an unlimited school zone. They can attract students from all over the area, state, country, etc... With that being said should the T$$AA go a little further and apply the multiplier to public schools who take tuition students or consider them a D II school. They have the same advantage of attracting students from a much broader area than your normal public school. These semi private high schools have definate advantage over the truly public schools that only get students from their specific zones.

So the question is this? Should public schools who enroll tuition students (semi private high schools) be considered:

A. D II due to their semi private status

B. D I and apply the multiplier of 1.8 to their enrollment for classification due to their semi private status.

Let's talk about the fourth largest school system in the state, Knox County. Here is their transfer policy. This is real scarey. I bet with this system you will end up with some really good football schools and some really bad ones. I bet you will have a Farragut right next to a Karns. A Fulton close to a South-Doyle. A Halls right next to a Gibbs. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Definitions

"Base School" means the school located in the parent's/guardian's zone of residence where the student is required to attend unless a transfer is granted.

"Receiving School" means the school to which a transfer is granted.

General Conditions

Transportation. Transportation of transferring students from base school to receiving school will be provided

by the Board of Education only as expressly provided herein. Unless so stated such transportation shall be the responsibility of the parents, guardians or students.

Required Approval. No out-of-zone student may be enrolled without a transfer approved by the Supervisor of Transfers based upon parental application , and at times designated by the school system.

Transfers Within the System

Available Capacity. All transfers are subject to limitations of available capacity.

Duration. The duration of all transfers shall be a maximum of one school year. The Supervisor of Transfers

may revoke a transfer at the end of a grading period for good and sufficient reasons. The Board shall be notified in writing of any such revocations.

Illegal Transfers. Any out-of-zone student found to be illegally enrolled shall be sent back to the appropriate

base school at the end of the grading period in which the violation is discovered.

Transfer Classifications

Equal Educational Opportunity Transfers: Students may be granted transfers to schools offering courses not offered in base schools.

Employees' Children Transfers: Children of teachers of Knox County Schools, upon application, shall be granted transfer to the school where the teacher is employed.

Hardship Transfers (Grades K-5) only): Extreme hardship and child care cases will be considered only after every effort has been Kindergarten Transfers: The classroom(s) at the student's base school must have a full enrollment before a transfer is approved. Transfers shall not be approved that will require a waiver from the State Department of Education for an oversize class.

Magnet School Transfers: Nonresident students may apply for transfers, with transportation provided by the school system, to designated magnet schools. The procedure and criteria for applying for magnet school status shall be announced in April of each year. Selection of magnet school students is determined by the school system and is not appealable.

Other: Anyone that currently has a transfer under the "other" category will be able to request an annual transfer until completion of the terminal grade at the appropriate school level. Other transfers will be considered as long as space is available at the receiving school and no additional teachers are required.

Application Procedure

Application: Only the student's parent/guardian may apply. Application must be made on a form and at a time designated by the school system. Parents of students enrolled in a Knox County School in the spring shall apply at the base school during the announced two-week period in the spring. Parents/guardians of students changing residence or family status or moving into Knox County after the spring application period may apply to the Office of the Supervisor of Transfers during the last week of July. If an application

is not made at the proper time, or is denied, students shall report to their base school at the beginning of the new school year.

Appeal: The school system's decision is unappealable in the selection of receiving schools for students applying for magnet schools or courses not offered in their base schools. Parents/guardians may appeal other transfer decisions to school officials in the following order: first, the Supervisor of Transfers; second, the Appeals Committee; third, the Superintendent; and fourth, the Board of Education.made by the parent/guardian to make provisions to keep the pupil in zone. The reason must be documented completely and shall be throroughly investigated. Hardship transfers shall not be granted on the basis of school preference or program comparision.

Revision 7/04 8/07

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

What does this have to do with the topic. Lets make it simple. Should all schools private, public, semi private, etc... that charges tuition to all or part of the student body be considered D-II or apply the multiplier?

I am for a two division system. DII for all privates. Privates would be divided into two classes. One class for non-aid...one class for aid.

Public schools would be in DI. There would be 3 classes based on enrollment. Open zone and tuition paying schools would be move up one class from their assigned enrollment. So...if a 1a school allowed tuition paying or out of zone players...they would move up to 2a...and so on for 2a to 3a. If they agree to close their zone...they would play in the class in which their enrollment allows.

What does this have to do with the topic. Lets make it simple. Should all schools private, public, semi private, etc... that charges tuition to all or part of the student body be considered D-II or apply the multiplier?

Only if they go 60-0 over a four year stretch, win 4 titles in a row (and 7 in 8 years), beat Knoxville Central 10 times in a row, and makes it's fans want to make excuses for why they can't beat them when they probably had more talent on the field 5 out of 10 times.

You also might want to check out the stat on one of the other Maryville threads. Since the start of Maryville's dominance, the number of tuition students has actually decreased.

Then again, since Central has also been drawing players from all over Knox Co during their recent run (and you yourself has said so), and can have students "out of zone" go to school there, shouldn't tack some multiplier on them as well? I mean, doesn't that give you some kind of "unfair advantage" that helped you achieve all those second place region finishes and quarterfinal appearances since 01?

Only if they go 60-0 over a four year stretch, win 4 titles in a row (and 7 in 8 years), beat Knoxville Central 10 times in a row, and makes it's fans want to make excuses for why they can't beat them when they probably had more talent on the field 5 out of 10 times.

You also might want to check out the stat on one of the other Maryville threads. Since the start of Maryville's dominance, the number of tuition students has actually decreased.

Then again, since Central has also been drawing players from all over Knox Co during their recent run (and you yourself has said so), and can have students "out of zone" go to school there, shouldn't tack some multiplier on them as well? I mean, doesn't that give you some kind of "unfair advantage" that helped you achieve all those second place region finishes and quarterfinal appearances since 01?

I don't think Maryville has won as they have because of the tuition paying students. Maryville is a 4a school. They are in a large enough class where it doesn't make too much difference.

Please stick to the thread topic. This issue is not about one particular school. This is not just a football issue. Matter in fact tuition students could have a much greater impact in say basketball than football.

The issue is about the definition of a D I and D II school. Does taking tuition students make a school D II and the multiplier should be applied or should they play in D II.

How about Charter schools they will be funded with public money. Will they be D I or D II.

The landscape of High School Sports are changing. In order to keep a level playing field the T$$AA must be prepared to address these changes and move forward accordingly.

DII has nothing to do with charging students a fee or with tuition... DII classification allows for that school to give tuition assistance to a student, and that student would still be eligible to play athletics.

Agree. CAK plays D I and part of the criteria for them to play D I is to apply a multiplier to their enrollment. The reason is they are a private school playing in the public school league. They are considered a private school because they charge students to attend their school. Several public schools do the same but these semi private schools don't have to apply the multiplier.

Should they?

Please stick to the thread topic. This issue is not about one particular school. This is not just a football issue. Matter in fact tuition students could have a much greater impact in say basketball than football.

The issue is about the definition of a D I and D II school. Does taking tuition students make a school D II and the multiplier should be applied or should they play in D II.

How about Charter schools they will be funded with public money. Will they be D I or D II.

The landscape of High School Sports are changing. In order to keep a level playing field the T$$AA must be prepared to address these changes and move forward accordingly.

Bull crap it's not about one particular school. If Central could make a semi-final then you would care less. Don't try to hide behind it when everyone that has read any of your posts knows better.

Since you don't have a clue about how it is broken up anyway, there are tuition charging privates in D-1. D-2 is for schools that provide financial assistance.

Answer my question - does Central's ability to draw kids from outside the "zone" of kids in Knox Co. not give it an unfair advantage over a school that has a defined school zone. Or, consider this.

A kid lives one mile outside of the Maryville city limits and wants to go to Maryville. If he does he has to pay tuition. A kid lives one mile outside of the defined Central zone and wants to go to school there. Given he has what Knox Co. views as a legitimate reason, he doesn't have to pay a dime. How's that not an "unfair advantage" over other schools?

The argument is open-zoning, which may or may not involve tuition payments.

No, the issue is tuition. Does a public school charging tuition make it a private/semi private school. And should those schools have to apply the multiplier of 1.8 for classification purposes if they play in D I. This is about all schools that charge tuition in the state not just one school. Since Central doesn't charge tuition this particular debate doesn't apply to them. If you would like to discuss open zone schools then start a new thread.

No, the issue is tuition. Does a public school charging tuition make it a private/semi private school. And should those schools have to apply the multiplier of 1.8 for classification purposes if they play in D I. This is about all schools that charge tuition in the state not just one school. Since Central doesn't charge tuition this particular debate doesn't apply to them. If you would like to discuss open zone schools then start a new thread.

What is the difference?

The biggest grip about private schools is that they have an unlimited school zone as opposed to those who have a defined zone and can effectively determine their student body numbers if they so choose by selecting who they do and don't let in. The fact that they charge tuition doesn't make a hill of beans difference.

Now, if you want to say Maryville or any other open-zoned school falls into this same category because of they undefined limits of their zone boundaries, then I will agree with you to an extent.

The fact is that Central, Maryville, and all schools that can accept children from outside their defined school zone are all similar. Tuition means jack squat in the equation.

Good try though. I applaud your effort from trying to make it seem like a universal concern of yours.