Coaches Proposals

bearmen

In the june board of control meeting the board voted to take no action on any of the proposals made by the coaches association. They did vote to have the duals and the traditional at the same sites as last year. Wish we could move the duals around like we use to do. Seems like Clarksville has a lock on the site. I know that they do a good job of running the duals but would like to see other people have a chance also.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree that Clarksville has done a good job in hosting the State Duals, I think that others could do as well if not better job. Does anyone know what the financial report on the State Duals has been while it's been in Clarksville?? I would have to think if money was a question (which it always seems to be....see Spring Fling) there are better sites to host this event and would bring in more dollars. And if money isn't an issue then I agree it would be fair to rotate this event like we use to. It's great to hear that McKenize Arena will be used again this year to host the traditional tournament.

I am not posting here to put down Clarksville High School. However, I will state that I don't think Clarksville is a very good site for the fans. The set up is not conducive for the fans to watch. As most of you who saw the event would probably agree that who ever got assigned to that mat on the far side of the gym couldn't get there fans close enough to the action for support. This takes away from the action and most importantly takes much away from the paying fans. I think that the state needs to make sure the gym can hold 3 mats across the gym so the fans can sit on either side of the gym to cheer their teams on.

As far as rotating the dual meet tournament goes I don't think so. I would prefer it to stay in the Middle Tennessee area. This is because we already host the individuals and it wouldn't be right for us to host both the duals and the individuals, and make everybody travel to us both times. I believe the tournament could be hosted maybe in the Allen center at Lipscomb. This is a new facility that might fit the needs of the state dual wrestling tournament.

I agree. Although Clarksville did a fine job of running the tournament, their facility was extremely spectator unfriendly except for the finals. It would add to the tournament to have bleachers on both sides of the wrestling mat and to designate one side as "home" and the other as "visitor". In the tournament draw, the teams could be preassigned as either home or visitor. This way the fans would sit on opposite sides of the gym. I witnessed some fan confrontation that would have been avoided if they were not sitting 10' apart.

Guest cole703

Hey Xwristed,

Is the board not full of people that could care less about wrestling? They are not going to do anything that cost a single dime extra. Let's all remember that they are looking dead square at multi million dollar legal fees and the student/athletes will have to pay the fees with less benefits.

The board of control is made up of mostly principals that actually do care about high school sports. When Clint Abbott retired from the board we lost a person that knew the sport and what was good for the sport. The legislative council does have Pete Stafford,a guy that does know the sport. Most of the time,in my opinion,the board looks to Ronnie Carter for direction on wrestling. Some of the coaches proposals were actually national federation changes, things not on the state level.

Bearman,

Cole is correct that the TSSAA is not going to make a decision that cost them money. They could be in financial trouble if they have to payout tons of money for legal problems. If they did not have money concerns (like 99% of the corporations in the USA), then why did they move Spring Fling to Memphis?

Pete and Clint are nice guys that did care about wrestling, or did they? They continued to be officials well past their prime. It would have been nice if they had retired when they were on top of their game. But hey, most athletes never seem to feel that their game has diminished as much as it has.

Yes Clint and Pete both cared alot for wrestling. Both are two of the best officals to ever work in Tennessee. While I will agree that both lost a little something at the end of their long careers, I can tell you that even then they were both better than some of the newer and younger officals I've seen. I can't say for sure but my guess is the reason they continued to officiate matches as long as they did was due to the lack of officals(good ones)in their area and their love of the sport.