Being a Team and/or Team Player

Sidetrain

The problem with a GOOD TEAM PLAYER is alot of time they get over looked. Just like a good defensive player.

I agree with statement about the star player getting by with more than just your average player, and alot of girls teams are brought down with silly bickering that does often come from home. As parents we need to have team work in us, so we can teach it to our children .

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the girls like the atomsphere, coaches, and the freestyle of play better in AAU? I think they play better as a team in AAU.

I hear that a lot. I guess your right. Play better I'm not sure. It not hard to look better when everybody is good. When you are the one the team is looking at can you help or run down. Can you make the rest of team better?

I guess it the style that most like. I like the Run and Gun but a controlled offense is also enjoyable.

/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> A lot of times a "Good Team Player" does get overlooked. I also agree with the fact that many times a good defensive player gets overlooked. Sometimes its a good thing, because most teams only focus on the player that's considered the leading scorer, not thinking about other players who can step up. The makeup of a good team depends on the players who make up the team - the scorer, the defensive player, the 3 point scorer, the hustler and the play maker. A good team is made up of all these parts and each part makes up the whole. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> A lot of times a "Good Team Player" does get overlooked. I also agree with the fact that many times a good defensive player gets overlooked. Sometimes its a good thing, because most teams only focus on the player that's considered the leading scorer, not thinking about other players who can step up. The makeup of a good team depends on the players who make up the team - the scorer, the defensive player, the 3 point scorer, the hustler and the play maker. A good team is made up of all these parts and each part makes up the whole. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> totally agree!

A team player?

Thats easy, Its a person whos makes the teammates around them better. On and off the floor.

If a kid is causing Drama on a team. That is not a good basketball player.

Yep!

Good thread! I wish the players would spend time reading this thread rather than some of the other threads. This one could actually help the players and parents.

I could not explain it better. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Lately I'm having trouble understanding what makes a team or team player.

The way I think about it is: A person or persons that work together to accomplish the same goal.

But Lately some seem to think it OK to cuss teammates talk about coach behind his/her back. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> I have seen were a player would cuss another player because she missed a pass but that same player would throw ball away to high or get lost on defense and blame her/his teammates. If this person is the star most coaches do nothing about it. Why? If basketball has become a "I" game specially in girls basketball I will not like watching it much longer. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> That it what I like about the women's game it is still a TEAM game.

Now how would you handle this stuff? The player cussing her teammates! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Do any of you see these things going on too?

Has the coach lost control of the team or this player?

Tell me how you feel about these things. I know you have not seen what I have but tell me how you would feel about these if you have seen this before.

The coach has to establish discipline early. If the star of a team should cuss another player the coach is responsible to stop that type of behavior even if it means putting them off the team. I have seen this type of behavior more in AAU than at the high school level.

Good players are made in off season, good teams are made during season.

The first depends on player, the latter depends on coach.

Just showing up each fall and practising together a few weeks makes neither.

A team player does what ever most of the time they are not the top scorer or their name in the paper every week. They do the stuff that make every one else look good. They are the players that work on the off season, the one that the coaches know that they are in the will play solid and do the little things and when they come off the court they are black and blue because they will dive for the ball. I have notice alot of them even gets over look by some of their coaches. I would rather have 5 team players than 1 super star that will not put in the effort to make the team better.

Okay, what about this? What if you're the top player on the team and your coach says that you are the one he expects to take the team on your shoulders when things are going wrong on the court? In other words, for you to do what the team needs now (as the coach defines) - to be a team player - you have to stop passing (because nobody is making a shot even when they're open) and try to score yourself. Now you LOOK like a selfish player but you are really not in my opinion.

So, my question is, is a team player someone who does whatever the team needs to win or is a team player someone who makes sure that everyone gets involved even at the risk of losing?

I believe it's the former, but for a girl to do that, she has to be very mentally strong when she knows that there will be parents out there and maybe even fellow players who will label her as selfish. Maybe the next time we see a player not make the pass and keep it for herself, some of us shouldn't be so quick to judge. I know I've made that mistake.

I have pulled my daughter off court when I thought she was being disrespectful. It was during AAU & they had back to back games. It was half time of the first game. We had a "come to Jesus meeting" under the bleachers. We came out half time of the second game. That was summer 2006. I haven't had to do it again. If parents don't stand for it, the coach won't have to deal with it.

God bless you!! I believe what makes a good team player starts right at the home with momma's and daddy's. If and when these type behaviors happen more than once (it should start and stop at the home), and mom and dad doesn't stop it, then the coach should. Folks, if we as adults/parents don't have the backbone to discipline our children (and I don't mean spanking, but not above it), in what ever way it takes, what does that say about us. Like Bri said, if we the parents don't stand for it, the coach won't have to deal with it. But, sadly, the coach should be prepared to.

Okay, what about this? What if you're the top player on the team and your coach says that you are the one he expects to take the team on your shoulders when things are going wrong on the court? In other words, for you to do what the team needs now (as the coach defines) - to be a team player - you have to stop passing (because nobody is making a shot even when they're open) and try to score yourself. Now you LOOK like a selfish player but you are really not in my opinion.

So, my question is, is a team player is someone who does whatever the team needs to win or is a team player someone who makes sure that everyone gets involved even at the risk of losing?

I believe it's the former, but for a girl to do that, she has to be very mentally strong when she knows that there will be parents out (and maybe players) who will label her as selfish. Maybe the next time we see a player not make the pass and keep it for herself, some us shouldn't be so quick to judge. I know I've made that mistake.

As far as on the court, I totally agree. While it is a team sport, winning is/should be the goal.