District 11 AA

putboobieincoach

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the district pitchers night in night out are better in high school because you are getting their best in travel ball how many times do you see a kid pitching that hasnt pitched since 7th grade or middle school

i'm not sure to what kinda travel teams you have been playing but when i play travel we play the best of the best...not any teams just put together of people that cant play.

The difference as I see it is that tournament teams have to have a deep pitching staff unless they are going to throw guys a lot of innings with no rest. The guy you see on Friday night might be available for a game on Sunday with only a days rest. High school coaches are going to throw their #1 on Monday or Tuesday and then give him a weeks rest. There might be a week or two where the #1 gets a few more innings during the week, but for the most part you're going to see a rested pitcher for district games.

You might see some summer teams that have a deep pitching staff, but they are the exception. Mostly you see a lot of guys getting work or a few guys getting too much work on summer team pitching staffs. My experience is that you'll see a few guys through the summer that are really good pitchers, but you'll also see some less experienced pitchers filling in to get a team through a tournament with their arms in good shape. In high school district play, you'll see the best they have, whatever that may be.

The difference as I see it is that tournament teams have to have a deep pitching staff unless they are going to throw guys a lot of innings with no rest. The guy you see on Friday night might be available for a game on Sunday with only a days rest. High school coaches are going to throw their #1 on Monday or Tuesday and then give him a weeks rest. There might be a week or two where the #1 gets a few more innings during the week, but for the most part you're going to see a rested pitcher for district games.

You might see some summer teams that have a deep pitching staff, but they are the exception. Mostly you see a lot of guys getting work or a few guys getting too much work on summer team pitching staffs. My experience is that you'll see a few guys through the summer that are really good pitchers, but you'll also see some less experienced pitchers filling in to get a team through a tournament with their arms in good shape. In high school district play, you'll see the best they have, whatever that may be.

also the batting line ups usually arent as strong as the regular season line ups are.

also the batting line ups usually arent as strong as the regular season line ups are.

To me there are 2 or 3 different types of summer teams.

1. An elite team in the same age bracket that fills out a roster regardless of high school affiliations and competes at a regional or national level. A showcase team

2. A team of guys from different schools in the same age bracket that play mostly a local schedule and a few regional events.

3. A high school team playing together in the summer. There's typically a pretty broad range of age groups and the intent is to get younger players some work without regard to record.

Each of these has their place. A lot of high school kids just need innings and at bats to get better. Some players hone their game at a higher level of competition. My opinion is that all high school players need games in the summer to get better, however that is achieved.

To me there are 2 or 3 different types of summer teams.

1. An elite team in the same age bracket that fills out a roster regardless of high school affiliations and competes at a regional or national level. A showcase team

2. A team of guys from different schools in the same age bracket that play mostly a local schedule and a few regional events.

3. A high school team playing together in the summer. There's typically a pretty broad range of age groups and the intent is to get younger players some work without regard to record.

Each of these has their place. A lot of high school kids just need innings and at bats to get better. Some players hone their game at a higher level of competition. My opinion is that all high school players need games in the summer to get better, however that is achieved.

more games=more experience. very important for every player on your team. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />