East Tennessee AAA

mocs30

I have been saying all along that Oak Ridge is the best team, but obviously they are in trouble with Stephens out for a month and his back up out for a couple of weeks. It may cost Oak Ridge a game or two in the short term, but might help them in the long run. If Stephens is out for the regular season though, don't be surprised if Powell gives Oak Ridge a run for the district title. Oak Ridge struggled mightily at Bradley Central on Monday, a school that is way down this year.

Once again, Bearden could not contain Jordan Damron, and this is very indicative of why Bearden will have a hard time getting to substate. For all their height, they lack athletic guards. I think Oak Ridge (fully healthy) will honey roast Bearden if they match-up in the Region. As right now though, with Oak Ridge's injuries, here are my rankings:

1. Maryville

2. Bearden

3. Oak Ridge/Powell

5. Cleveland

6. Farragut/Dobyns-Bennett

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I saw last years Maryville team and if they are worse than last year after graduating Maples and other players then the West should bring home the AAA title. You got to figure the West has Ridgeway, White Station, Raleigh Egypt, Liberty Tech, Memphis Kirby, Craigmont, Hamilton and several other very good AAA schools. If Maryville was the best team from the East last year and after losing some players to graduation, I don't see Maryville going back-to-back this year. I'll say Ridgeway will win it in the boro this year!

Well, I saw last years Maryville team and if they are worse than last year after graduating Maples and other players then the West should bring home the AAA title. You got to figure the West has Ridgeway, White Station, Raleigh Egypt, Liberty Tech, Memphis Kirby, Craigmont, Hamilton and several other very good AAA schools. If Maryville was the best team from the East last year and after losing some players to graduation, I don't see Maryville going back-to-back this year. I'll say Ridgeway will win it in the boro this year!

I personally think Maryville might actually be better than last year, as far as their starting five goes, but depth could be an issue with Maryville when it comes to hopes for a repeat.

As for West Tn. vs. East Tn., we all know year-in, year-out, West Tn. is usually stronger. However, when discussing this year, it is my belief that, if healthy, Maryville , Bearden, and Oak Ridge are as good as anybody in the state and could beat any of the teams you mentioned on a given night.

Once again, Bearden could not contain Jordan Damron, and this is very indicative of why Bearden will have a hard time getting to substate. For all their height, they lack athletic guards. I think Oak Ridge (fully healthy) will honey roast Bearden if they match-up in the Region. As right now though, with Oak Ridge's injuries, here are my rankings:

1. Maryville

2. Bearden

3. Oak Ridge/Powell

5. Cleveland

6. Farragut/Dobyns-Bennett

I don't agree with your assessment of Bearden. Bearden can beat teams with athletic guards.... they already have beaten A-E, Fulton (twice), and Maplewood. I actually think they match up better with Oak Ridge than they do with Maryville. I don't think Bearden would be forced to extend their defense against O.R. like they do against Maryville because Maryville's guards are better shooters than O.R.'s. Oak Ridge's guards are more penetrating type guards and I think Bearden's size would neutralize the ability of Stephens and Rogers to finish inside.

On the flip side, Oak Ridge probably can defend Maryville's guards better than Bearden because of the great quickness of Stephens and Rogers.

Of course, all this is just my opinion. The bottom line is that all three of these teams are pretty good.

1) Maryville -- great guards, big posts, shooters, experience, and coaching

2) Bearden -- athleticism and size are too tough for most

3) Oak Ridge -- injuries to Stephens and Rogers drop the Cats

4) Cleveland -- just keep winning, ? competition this season

5) Dobyns Bennett -- footballers are at full tilt now

6) Powell -- are shooting as good as anyone, ? at post defense

7) Farragut -- Hunley's injury has them looking average, easily turn it around

8) Science Hill -- very athletic, but no signature wins

9) Greeneville -- worst team in year's for Duncan, but playing better

10) Sullivan East/Red Bank-- who else deserves this spot?

I personally think Maryville might actually be better than last year, as far as their starting five goes, but depth could be an issue with Maryville when it comes to hopes for a repeat.

As for West Tn. vs. East Tn., we all know year-in, year-out, West Tn. is usually stronger. However, when discussing this year, it is my belief that, if healthy, Maryville , Bearden, and Oak Ridge are as good as anybody in the state and could beat any of the teams you mentioned on a given night.

I'll say this, Maryville WAS probably the most fundamentally sound team I saw up at state last year including all 3 classes A,AA,AAA. How many players did they actually lose to graduation. I'm not very familiar with Maryville ,as I don't keep up with them much except in football, but I knew they lost Maples but whom else did they lose?

I'll say this, Maryville WAS probably the most fundamentally sound team I saw up at state last year including all 3 classes A,AA,AAA. How many players did they actually lose to graduation. I'm not very familiar with Maryville ,as I don't keep up with them much except in football, but I knew they lost Maples but whom else did they lose?

Maryville lost two senior starters off last year's team, Tyler Maples and Kent Basile, who was the team's leading scorer last year. They have been replaced in the starting lineup by Ryan Click and Jay Reynolds. They also lost 3 senior reserves, Will Jolly, Josh Allen, and Derek Hunt.

You always know you are going to lose seniors. What has really hurt Maryville's depth is losing senior Kyle Pickle and junior Reid Walker. Pickle would have been an invaluable post player for the Rebels this year but hasn't been with the team all year due to off the court issue. Reid Walker was starting for the team earlier this year before Douglas returned from football but Reid quit to concentrate on baseball.

Im probably going to make some people mad for saying this but in my opinion this is what happens. As far as West Tennessee goes, the teams are usually stronger, and I do not want to take away from East Tennessee basketball because it has gotten better the last few years, but most of the time the teams that are great in the West usually put out the pretty good teams in the West, when in reality the pretty good teams in the West would probably beat some of the teams from the East. But, that's the way the bracket is set up so there is nothing to do about it. This year though I think that Bearden, Maryville, and Oak Ridge could compete with all the teams in the West.

Someone mentioned Liberty Tech earlier as being one of the best teams; are they not AA? Or did that change this year??

And as far as Cleveland goes I'll say it again. I saw them this summer, and after looking at their schedule they are not that good, but they keep winning so hard to argue putting them in the top.

O.R. still beat Halls by 23 without Stephens and Rogers and won by 27 tonight at Campbell County. I think Rogers played. I dont think the loss of Jared Stephens hurts O.R. all that much for a few weeks because the schedule is not that strong. I dont forsee the loss of Stephens causing Oak Ridge to lose the 32 points that they beat Clinton by eariler. Nor do I see Powell making up 17 points having to travel to O.R. plus Stephens could possibly be back for the game at home vs. Powell.