MARION and grundy players

SupaStar

I agree with you on JB and DW. I also think PJ Brooks could be brought in the top 10. He could shoot it from the outside. I will say that the 3 pt line came in right after the '87 season and at least 7-8 players from that year's team could have drilled the treys (center included). What was the record for the teams JB and DW played on? Just curious since it has been a loooooooooong while.

I dont remember the record but that team(82-83) was one of the first teams to be voted in the top 10 of the state in basketball for Marion. On that team you had Ray Pryor and Neal Nelson inside and I think Coach Keef was on this team as well. As for the best players, I think you have to go back a little further and add Anthony Patrick, Keith Miller and Ed Cobb.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know a whole lot about the Marion program but I didnt see Nick Pickett or Dustin Winfree names yet, in my opinion they are my Marion Co. list.

As for Grundy, I dont think that going to college locks up the #1 spot for Mark Tate, yea he is definitely on the list but not #1. My #1 goes to no other than Jeremy Rose, a close second would be Tommy Ramsey, but after that I cant rank them, it would be too hard. Here's a few more I would throw out there: Alex Kilgore, Nick Bryant and Chase Johnson ( their 01 team won the first district title for Grundy in almost 50 yrs), the late David Barrett, Randy Burnett, the young Bryant, Boo is what he goes by I believe, and there are many more that I didnt have time to mention.

If these to all time great teams were to play a game: Grundy by 25+.

I realize I'm about to get into a debate with a bunch of diaper dandies (ie- posters who are probably under the age of 25) but...... Rose couldn't hold Mark Tate's jock. Not that I don't think Rose was a good player but some of you guys have got a really short perspective on this. Some of the people listed for Grundy wouldn't make a top 50 much less a top 10. The Bryant boys were very good but you might want to ask them about their uncle. There's a couple of guys named Coffelt that belong in a top list from all my years of watching. You want a real Grundy top 10? I'll ask one of the biggest experts and then post it back here. I guarantee his list would be as close to perfect as you get.

The members of Grundy's 01 team deserve a lot of praise on this list but there's also some SVC glory days to look back on too.

Of course some of this is just friends patting each other on the back. Since I can't dribble I won't be looking for praise. I'll just try to get a real list and post it.

DL.

SVC glory days are hard to compare to the '01 team..I will take the '01 team based on who they beat...SVC didn't travel to play against some of the top teams in Chattanooga did they? (i could be wrong here, i'm not that old /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ) ..i know this is about individual players and i got off topic..no big deal, right? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Well first off Mark Tate shouldn't even be mentioned in the same category as Jeremy Rose. I kno both, played with both and this is a no brainer. Size, well Marks got it there, but thats it.

As for old school players there is no doubt there was some great ones. But the old people want to put down the young ppl, and the young ppl wanna put down the old. But athletes these days run fast, jump higher and to say a Nick Bryant isnt or wasnt as good as his uncle is honestly laughable.

Ill make a list soon, but i haven't got enough time now.

as for the '01 boys. I was one. and I really don't think there was anyone better..take it for what its worth.

David did you hurt yourself jumping off our bandwagon?

Well first off Mark Tate shouldn't even be mentioned in the same category as Jeremy Rose. I kno both, played with both and this is a no brainer. Size, well Marks got it there, but thats it.

As for old school players there is no doubt there was some great ones. But the old people want to put down the young ppl, and the young ppl wanna put down the old. But athletes these days run fast, jump higher and to say a Nick Bryant isnt or wasnt as good as his uncle is honestly laughable.

Ill make a list soon, but i haven't got enough time now.

as for the '01 boys. I was one. and I really don't think there was anyone better..take it for what its worth.

David did you hurt yourself jumping off our bandwagon?

I wasn't trying to take anything away from Nick. Re-read what I said. Not taking a thing away from Nick or Justin. But their uncle was very good. Danny and Lebron Coffelt were very good. There are others as well. Jeremy was very good but if I had to pick between him and Mark I'd take Mark 10 times first.

And how would you know if the athletes today run faster or jump higher? Did you see the "old guys" play? I saw some of them and they jumped pretty high and ran pretty fast......as fast as what I've seen this season. Just because the style was a little different doesn't mean they couldn't compete on the same level.

And the idea that going on to college doesn't count makes no sense to me at all. It's pretty much the best players that get picked for college scholarships. I've yet to see college coaches come in and say....."Give me your most mid average player." Only the best go on to college.

I don't think I need to defend anything about the 01 team. I thought what I said was positive before. They did great things and deserve plenty of credit. They also did it very well as a team and not one or two individuals. If I had to pick a team they'd be first on my list. But I thought the original question was about all time players. That to me says individual players. So again. Mark would be first on my list without question.

I'm at a disadvantage here in knowing everyone's screen names. It's not something I research. Out of this debate I know who DP is.....which was pretty easy. I'm not trying to knock some of my younger friends on here. I'd be more specific about some of the names listed that I think are silly but obviously that would just hurt feelings.

Some of you guys need to buy Plus Memberships so you can PM any other plus member. Then I could talk off the boards about it with you. Plus you should support CoachT with a whopping $1 a month for all he's done for free speech in TN HS sports.

DL.

Del first off i was jus givin you a hard time. I stand by my statement about taking Rose over Mark, I know Mark, he is a good friend of mine but I jus think Rose was that good.

As for college coaches only wanting the best players. Obviously, but if you dont have the grades to get a scholly does that make you less of a player?

As for some of Grundys best, its a joke my name was even brought up.

"MY" top 5 would be Rose #1, Ramsey 2, Nick Bryant 3, Mark Tate 4, and the late great Criag lewis at 5.

but those are jus the ones on my list.

sincerely ,

Chase Johnson

On the Grundy side, Tony Richards was a good player also played some at the University of the South didnt he?

Lot of good guys, but lets be real basketball records speak for themslves, not a lot of years with winning records much less winning districts.

Tommy Ramsey was a good one as was the doctor Jay Trussler at the point.

Bryant boys were good also. Benji Graham and Jackie Anderson were too.

Mark Tate was a good player, Jeremy Rose could have been great.

Inside they say Darryl Brown was a hoss.

If you want a true list, I d like to see what Jody Hargis' s take is on it. He remembers stuff that most dont.

And here I was trying to leave Jody's name out of it. That's who I'd defer to for a top list.

BigMoney......Richards played baseball at Sewanee. So while he was good.....he couldn't get the "college credit" Mark would.

And I wasn't trying to call anyone out Chase. Before any of the rest of you do a big reveal get a PM instead or email me if you want to.

Craig Lewis.....was he better at hoops than football or vice versa? Just a real shame he didn't live out the dream. Seeing him go crushed me. Another person to consider that didn't get to live out the full HS dream was a guy named Rocky and for some reason I can't remember his last name. Just a little younger than me but was from Monteagle and died in HS.

DL (who's headed to the lake shortly. Time to fish boys and girls!)