Best Girl's Basketball in State

Pitino

Again, We are talking about a particular area where girls Basketball is strong. Not just one or two teams. This is it in a nutshell. McMinn Central will win the AA State, unless there is a real upset at the state. McMinn County will make the State if they can win a "Home" Sub-state game. Cleveland or Bradley will make the State if, one or the other, can win a "Road" Sub-State game. Walker Valley can get to the state by beating out Tellico for a "Road" Sub-State game and then winning there. And yes.... Latham has made McMinn an AAA State Contender.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only life were a bowl of cherries- PITINO! :)

Your plan sounds great- hope it comes to pass.Tellico is not the only one that better watch out for WV- Central has struggled in play days with them too. Mcminn CO. is better with Latham but they are barely gettin by WV- and sometimes they are not getting by at all- so I am not so sure about that part of your dream-BC will win both times Co. plays them!

Not sure why, but the TSSAA just added Ridgeway to 15AAA instead of 14AAA. Now 15AAA has potenital State teams in White Station and Houston, along with Germantown, Kirby, Ridgeway. All 5 within 10 miles of each other. This will be a fun season.

14AAA has Bolton, Bartlett, Dyersburg, Munford and Cordova. Only 5 teams. Bartlett, Cordova and Munford have all had losing seasons the last two years.

Pitino, Oak Ridge is far superior to Mcminn COunty as is most of the list you read off. True they beat Central last year, but they only eneded up with a .500 record.

But, your list is right on besides that. I do believe like Cleveland, OS could move up higher based on the young players that are improving drastically as I type with the Team composed of Juniors and Sophomores that already led OS tyo the state tourney just last year as Sophomores and freshman.

Mrs. WarEagle, Seems you take things so personal. All I said was that McMinn County could now make it to the State if they win a "Home" sub-state game. Is that going too far out on the limb? Not just Latham, but the rest of the players are very good also. Latham will make Simpson so good, and this is Ashley Hardeway's break out year. Ashley Wells can play and Heather Toomey will not allow any team to play a zone against them. Matter of fact, this is the old Top Gun State AAU champs. And even you should know that AAU is a step up from High School ball. This is McMinn's year, Next year is Cleveland's and the following year is Bradley's. Hey we are all happy.

This is true that Mcminn Co. has ALOT of good players- I merely said Latham helps them(she compliments SIMPSON, and Toomey is really picking it up- a great team player)they already have alot of talent, these girls seem to be really stepping it up- but I will say to actually even get to a sub-state game there is going to have to be alot more stepping up going on. I have already seen them play about 6 times this year.Its getting better.................but they would still have to get past BC and Cleveland, and I dont know about Cumberland this year- to even get to host a sub-state game. Like I've always said before November is a very long time away and ALOT can happen.................from anybody- they all have a shot at it, and that I am proud of!Good Luck to everybody- May the BEST TEAMS WIN!!!!

Pitino, not taking anything personally... I just didn't understand how or why you came up with McMinn being a state contender. It wouldn't bother me to see them do well. It is just that they have a history in the past three or four years of having the better talent but going nowhere with it. Maybe they will win, maybe they will not. I just think you are selling Bradley and Cleveland way short of what they can do. McMinn will have to get past these two teams to go anywhere and it didn't happen last year and neither of the two lost players.... But hey, you have your opinion and I have mine..... (And we don't have to agree to be friends!!!!) And you said that that team was the old AAU state champ??? How did they do this year? Just curious.....

[Edited by tnwareagle on 7/1/02 11:22P]

I can answer your question about how the aau team- they did great- they qualified for nationals again- but arent going- too many girls have to work etc......... the only difference is Mcminn Co. isnt the whole aau team- the dont have Mullinax or Rominger- that is 2 of their MAIN players if you ask me!

Ill have to agree that the southeast tennessee area around athens and cleveland is one of the best areas in the whole state. lets don't leave out meigs and polk counties. wasn't that many years ago when they were the two of the top aa teams in the state.of course they have cycled down. as to someone saying mcminn hasn't ever been there. three years ago they might have won the whole things had not 3 acl tears knocked bryant,weir, and roundtree out of action. that was the year gist was miss basketball. cleveland has the most talent this year but they are young but they have about 8 or 9 that are really really good. mcminn's very talented and latham i don believe will mean a huge diference. she was on a very bad team at sweeetwater and as good as she was couldn't help them win. all she did was score about 1500 there by herself. central is central good kids that work extremely hard and a great coaching staff. meigs will be back up in couple years. they have some nice freshman and eighth graders.

This is true- I remember that- what a tough break (or should I say tear:) It was sad -Mcminn really had it going on that year- and another school lucked up and got all the credit out of their misfortune!!! Thems the breaks! Better luck this year- their a great group of girls and I would love to see them do well!!!