A Better Idea!

I copied ELA's COMMON PLAN from an older thread. I haven't changed any part of his plan, but I think we could combine everyone and use a multiplier if people wanted to do so, but I really like the plan the way it is. It gets rid of the problems we have now and doesn't force anyone to play against someone they don't want to schedule until the playoffs or privates until the final game, if you get that far.

ELA's COMMON PLAN:

* Each team plays 10 regular season games (Weeks 1-10)

* Each team selects 8 games to count toward the playoffs

* 50% of the 10 games must be within a teams classification.

* Playoff Teams are selected using a mathematical formula to be approved and managed by a PLAYOFF COMMITTEE (selected from TSSAA Member Schools to include Coaches, Administrators, Mathematical Statisticians).

* Formula to take into consideration:

Teams Classification

Opponents Classification

Teams Win/Loss Percentage

Opponents Win/Loss Percentage

Common Opponents Win/Loss Percentage

Other Factors to be determined

* All teams not selected for the playoffs can participate in a single invitational bowl game during weeks 11 or 12 if they win at least 3 regular season games. Each team will receive a pre-determined amount (percentage of gate or set remuneration) for participation in any bowl game.

* The Committee will select 32 teams (16 in CLASS ;) in each class to be divided as follows:

* West Bracket - TOP 16 Teams (8 Teams in Class B)

* East Bracket - TOP 16 Teams (8 Teams in Class B)

* PUBLIC Team Playoff (EAST/WEST BRACKETS) as follows:

* WEEK 11- GAMES

A. 1-16

B. 2-15

C. 3-14

D. 4-13

E. 5-12

F. 6-11

G. 7-10

E. 8-9

* WEEK 12 - GAMES

Winner of Game A Plays the Winner of Game E

Winner of Game B Plays the Winner of Game G

Winner of Game C Plays the Winner of Game F

Winner of Game D Plays the Winner of Game E

* WEEK 13 - GAMES

Winner of Game A/E plays the Winner of D/E

Winner of Game B/G plays the Winner of C/F

* WEEK 14 - GAMES

EAST CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

WEST CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

* PRIVATE Team Playoff (EAST/WEST Brackets) as follows:

* WEEK 11 - PLAYOFF BYE WEEK

* WEEK 12 - GAMES

A. 1-8

B. 2-7

C. 3-6

D. 4-5

* WEEK 13 - GAMES

Winner of Game A plays the Winner of Game D

Winner of Game B plays the Winner of Game C

* WEEK 14 - GAMES

EAST CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES

WEST CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES

* WEEK 15 - STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES (Public/Private)

* WEEK 16 - PREP BOWL GAME(s) - TOP PUBLIC vs PRIVATE TEAM(s)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I read this right, your classification will not even come into play until the playoffs! Everyone schedules the people they want to play. My only question would be how much would a team gain by playing up (someone in a higher class) vs how much would someone lose by playing down. I think maybe that is why each team is required to pick the 8 teams on their schedule they want ot count for the BCS. I had to read this thing a couple of times to understand it, but I think it would end much of the complaints about public and private. You schedule anyone you want and in the end, the final game, the best public and private schools play each other.

Here's a big problem with this plan. What do schools like Scott High and RBS, which are hard to get to, do to get opponents? If you remove regional/district boundaries, these teams will have a hard time finding opponents. RBS's historical lack of on-field success further complicates this. I'm sure those aren't the only places, but those are places I've been.

Here we go scout:

RBS would play Celina 10 times, b/c nobody else would want to go there.

Scott High might be ok: York, Oneida, Sunbright, Wartburg, Jellico, Anderson Co. Who else would want to travel up US 27? Maybe they could sucker Kingston and Livingston Acad into coming up there and playing....

Union County would play Claiborne Co, Rutledge and Gibbs., but I can see them having a real hard time getting opponents. Of course, UCo is not too difficult a trip for the KFL, though, and a likely 'W'.

Claiborne Co. would play Union Co., Gibbs, Rutledge, and Powell Valley. A little more of a geographic challenge than UCo. A usual 'W' for UCo, too. Maybe Bell Co, KY and Middlesboro, KY or could get some of the Hawkins Co. or Mo'town schools. A weak North Greene team might also be the answer....

Things to ponder.

Since I coach at one of the schools you mentioned, I don't think they would have too many problems finding people to play! All of the local schools would use them as one of the two scores not used for Earl's numbers! That is why there must be a set criteria established to provide for this type of scenario! RBS would play Celina simply because they are local rivals, so would Jackson County, Monterey, Watertown, and those schools who have a long history of playing them! Since I first started this idea on the other board, I think with a few changes, it might work better than what we have now! Why do we think we have to stick with this old concept of districts or regions? In the computer age, we don't have to compete in established patterns in order to create playoff brackets! We must think in different terms!

ELA, you misread me. I know Celina wouldn't have much trouble finding opponents. However, I can't see teams clammering to play RBS, especially if it's going to hurt their SoS! Why doesn't Celina play LA right now, speaking of rivalries?? If I had to guess, a Celina sched absent of regions would probably see Jackson Co, LA, Watertown, RBS, and who else? Upperman? Monterey? Tompkinsville, KY?