Hose Job on Warrior Hill last night

CycloneFan

You do understand the rules? The clock doesn't start until the ball is touched by a player.

And you can catch step and shoot in 0.6 seconds.

I've been running the clock for CPA since 1998( my kids had already graduated) and Fred you are wrong. The clock starts when the in-bounding official drops his hand. He/she is official, not the clock operator.

I agree, parents of players make lousy clock operators and bookeepers, they are just to into the game.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been running the clock for CPA since 1998( my kids had already graduated) and Fred you are wrong. The clock starts when the in-bounding official drops his hand. He/she is official, not the clock operator.

I agree, parents of players make lousy clock operators and bookeepers, they are just to into the game.

When does the official drop his hand? Duh, when the ball touches a player.

I agree about getting someone to run the clock. A parent watches his son/daughter and not the ref. That also goes for newspaper writers. Doug Fritzabethton wrote the ball was dribbled then shot and it was not dribbled going by the video. When a newspaper writer can tell you what the AD and all the coaches at the school had for breakfast every morning then he is as bias as the clock operator. Both teams will lose their next game and their season will be over so this game is not much because both teams have been a disappointment.

Us "folks" from Carter County would rather not be judged by the actions of one person. I'm sure a high percentage of the schools across the state have parents keeping the books, stats and the clock and do a fine job! The schools try to save money, and they're are plenty of capable parents to do it, but noone will step up.

I was at this game and the last shot may have been questionable, but there were several other times the clock keeping would have made a difference in the outcome and nobody but the man above knows how it would've changed the final score.

The clock operator failed to stop the clock at one point letting about 20 seconds run off as HV was getting ready to shoot a foul (HV was down). The ref called time and added time back to the clock, then Betsy in-bounded the ball (HV still down) and ran the length of the floor and he never restarted it...that happened twice. Not stopping it when HV was down would maybe show that it wasn't intentional...but then.....not starting when they were still down did.

I think if the clock were correctly kept the whole game it wouldn't have come down to a .6 shot, but that's just my opinion.

Bottom line is none of us will ever know if he did it intentionally, but let's not dis the entire county or school for one's actions. I'm the first one to say it was BAD!!! But I get so tired of people from one county or city to another trying to trash talk another county (stuff happens everywhere).

All of us from Carter County are not rotten toothed, poor, ignorant inbreds, so let's not go there....and the Barney stuff (all communities have Constables) and stick to basketball.

What is new? It has always been that way at Happy Valley. You folks from Carter County should know that by now. Usually the officials give Charlie's teams all the breaks when you play on the hill at the Valley. Then there are the Barney Fife constables that hang out at the games and try to intimidate the visitors. Oh I am sorry, I jsut dissed Barney.

Another factor to the hose job is how can a referee hear or see a timeout being called when he is facing the other end of the court? He cannot. The horn sounded when Rapert made the shot. Does the clock stop when the ball goes through the net? NO it doesnt. It didnt but the referees made it seem like it does.

We get back to how quick can someone turn and look. Could the ref turn and signal timeout in .6 seconds? Could Bayless and his eighty or whatever year old bones ask for a timeout that quick?

I dont think one can really fault the clock operator himself. Whether or not he was bias as to who he wanted to win was obvious. He was. But who wouldnt be? The ones that screwed this game up from the get-go was the ones in stripes. The fouls were consistent but there are other aspects to the game than fouls.

Anyways, both teams fought hard. Both teams deserved to win in my honest opinion. And, Jake Hodge, heck of a shot buddy.

Last Second Shot

According to the video, he got it off...without a dribble.

With all the finger pointing at what went wrong nobody has seemed to mention the lack of defensive effort on the Cyclones part. No one was on the ball, matter of fact no one was not even around the ball. The bottom line was the Cyclones thought the game was over and didn't do a very good job at the end. Both teams played extremely hard, motivated basketball. As one person mentioned after the game if both of these teams had worked that hard all year long they would have won a lot more than 5 games. Again someone on the ball, not letting him inbound the ball by bouncing it towards the goal, someone semi-contesting the shot (we do understand about not wanting to foul), would have made the last attempt a little more difficult. So if you are pointing at what went wrong for the Cyclones or what went right for the Warriors the lack of defensive pressure in that situation had a lot to do with the outcome.

It didn't happen the way cyclone fan describes it. The hv player never dribbled, the ball bounced and he caught it on the run with the horn sounding as the ball was in mid flight. Tough luck cyclones.

See for yourself.

incredible shot lifts hv!!

I agree with 'Fred'. The player did not dribble. He caught the ball off the bounce and threw it up. It looks completely plausible to me.

When does the official drop his hand? Duh, when the ball touches a player.

True, but the clock operator is not an official, he/she cannot make a judgement call as to when the ball is touched. That is the official's job, therefore the clock operator doesn't start the clock until the in-bounding official drops his/her hand.

I still think everybody is hung up on that last shot. I don't think it's the overall issue. I agree with the post the clock keeper "hosed" it up...He stated "AGAIN" like it always happen on Warrior...I don't think that's the case.

Like I stated earlier...the guy had the clock wrong the whole game. The refs called timeout 2 times to change the time on the clock and they still let him stay on the clock....allowing him to be there for that last shot...again.... I'll say he messed the clock up more than once that could've changed the game to either team's favor...I guess the last shot is everybody's issue because it was the final game breaker????

True, but the clock operator is not an official, he/she cannot make a judgement call as to when the ball is touched. That is the official's job, therefore the clock operator doesn't start the clock until the in-bounding official drops his/her hand.

Not aware of those issues...guess it's only at HV....Maybe they need to hire some the PERFECT clock keepers from UH or Hampton. Never....heard of any issues from either of them....RIGHT! I don't know about the prior issues...but I think Friday's game was merely the guy being hung up in the game...if you knew him, you'd understand. Like I said earlier, HV was losing and he didn't stop it the first time the refs called him on it....how would that benefit HV.

If this were as bad as you make it sound...HV should've won every home game.........give it a break. We're all human and make mistakes....just maybe not you! Clock mistakes are made all the time...they just get attention when something like this happens.

That's not the first time it has happened at HV this year. Ask the Univeristy High girls about their late game issues with the clock where they apparently had the game won only to find out different and there were several issues during the HV/Hampton game of the clock not starting/stopping. Talk about your home court advantage. Sorry, but facts are facts.