Greeneeville Greene Devils Win 4rth Straight Conference Championship

DevilMan03

Dang Upset!

I think it's only a minor upset. Cocke County has a very solid starting 5 with some talent off the bench, and Greeneville is a 2 man show with no inside game. Cocke County kept Gash out of his game for the most part and brought home the Win Any thought on the matchups coming up?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe YOU are the one who brought up "recruit" Daddikins...not me. Forgive my propensity to argue, but "fall into their lap" /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> is usually bandied about by those who are constantly accusing Greeneville of recruiting....I might add, these are usualy the same ones who believe Billy D has some bizarre mind-control over officiating as well /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I never meant to insinuate that YOU personally lived in a cave only that Duncan is a widely known and respected coach. My point however is that his reputation has helped his talent pool and speculating how other teams would have done with his talent is moot... they came here didn't they.Seriously, these kids didn't come to Greeneville for the cafeteria food.

Jordan Short has been an asset to the team this season and we are thrilled his family made the decision to enroll him in Greeneville High.Certainly his size has factored into the tenacious Devil D,

but Tremaine Gash has been the go to guy for Greeneville all season so I am hesitant to say how the season would have gone without him.

And yes I get very defensive about my Devils...and I'll not apologize for a spirited debate about such topics. If i come across a bit gruff, its only that I have been forced to enjoy them from home this year as I am physically unable to make it over to Hal Henard for the games.

And if you are seriously going to claim Greeneville High as a previous employer, might want to spell it correctly . Incorrect spelling isn't so good on a teacher's resume. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

It really helps convince parents of good players to come to greeneville when a job opportunity with good pay conveniently falls into their lap (cough, Niswanger, cough). Oh and one of the best young players in the IMAC has publicly stated that duncan tried and tried to get him to come to greeneville. If that's not "recruiting" then please define it for us dumb folk

It really helps convince parents of good players to come to greeneville when a job opportunity with good pay conveniently falls into their lap (cough, Niswanger, cough). Oh and one of the best young players in the IMAC has publicly stated that duncan tried and tried to get him to come to greeneville. If that's not "recruiting" then please define it for us dumb folk

Define "publicly stated"...and tell me how TSSAA hasn't investigated such an allegation.

I believe YOU are the one who brought up "recruit" Daddikins...not me. Forgive my propensity to argue, but "fall into their lap" /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> is usually bandied about by those who are constantly accusing Greeneville of recruiting....I might add, these are usualy the same ones who believe Billy D has some bizarre mind-control over officiating as well /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Well I guess after last night we can throw the old mind-control over officials theory out the window. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

After reading snuffaluffagus post I can see why you are a little touchy over the word recruit.

I am the type of message board visitor that reads the posts for the most part and only post when something catches my eye. I have been reading the last several posts about Greeneville and Bill Duncan and can't keep myself from sharing my thoughts.

1) Barb has been giving grammar and spelling lessons so I will give one. It is my personal opinion that using the word "respected" and "Bill Duncan" in the same sentence is bad sentence structure. Anyone who thinks that Bill Duncan is "widely respected" has not talked to anyone outside the doors of Greeneville High School. The week after Greeneville hired Duncan, I was playing golf with a long term, well known, IMAC head boys basketball coach who asked me "what are they thinking up in Greeneville. They must be willing to hire anybody to win." Duncan's reputation preceded him. While he is a known and proven winner, to say that he is well respected is an extreme stretch. The hire was made because Greeneville had the best collection of basketball talent they had ever had going into the 2000-2001 season, they had stripped all that talent away from Herbe Hawkes (in a classless move), and was willing to do anything to win a state title. Greeneville High School has only ever won one team state title, which was in Boy's Golf (ironically coached by Herbe Hawkes). The administration saw an opportunity to win another state championship and sold their soul to try to win another one. It is my understanding that he wasn't going to hang around this long. Maybe he likes it and decided to stay. While he still hasn't won a state title, he has dominated the district and has competed in the region.

2) I do not understand the recruiting allegations. Other than Antione Wiggins and Jordon Short, who has come to Greeneville that wasn't supposed to? Greeneville gets its third Division I basketball player in school history and all of a sudden Greeneville is recruiting. To quote a previous post "Sometimes families move." When teams have success, other team's fans have to come up with other excuses for the success other than good ole fashioned hard work. It is fairly commonly known that an extremely talented Tri Cities basketball player wanted to transfer to Greeneville for his senior year and had to be encouraged to stay where he was. That sounds like the opposite of recruiting to me. While I am obviously not a huge fan of Bill Duncan's, I do realize that when it comes to coaching he gets the most out of his players. Since Bill Duncan has been at Greeneville all but 3 of his players (to my knowledge) came to Greeneville as freshman. There are many reasons for Greeneville's success in Boy's Basketball over the past several years but recruiting is not one of those reasons.

I??™m glad to see you guys and gals are getting along so well??¦and I hate to break up such constructive conversation, but I have a public service announcement to make. After Saturday the 23rd of this month??¦this thread will be renamed the ???IMAC Consolation Bracket Cry Baby Support thread??? /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> !! Sorry for the interruption??¦you may now continue your bashing of each other. This has been a public service announcement from your Region 1 Big 9 brothers that enjoy beating up on Region 2 every year way more than we do on each other! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

WOW...devilfan11, that is some strong opinion you got!! I am actually a pretty good speller when it matters...it's just that the poster that started this thread had sooooo many e's in Greeneville I was trying to compensate a little /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Whether barb wants to admit it or not I did not intend to imply that Duncan recruited...but simply was saying that the Devils had been fortunate the past few years to have gotten some transfers...not just any transfers cause all schools get them...but ones that were very talented athletes.

Just wondering what you mean when you say Duncan is not well respected...and if it is not for recruiting then WHY...he has been very successful.

Just wondering what you mean when you say Duncan is not well respected...and if it is not for recruiting then WHY...he has been very successful.

I base my assessment that Bill Duncan is not well respected outside the doors of Greeneville High School on 2 things. Neither reason has anything to do with recruiting.

1) The coaches I have talked to in the IMAC do not speak very highly of him. Greeneville High School is not his first coaching stop in East Tennessee.

2) Greeneville High School played all 4 of the county teams during the regular season before Bill Duncan's arrival. Now all 4 county teams refuse to play Greeneville and by all accounts that I have heard it all revolves around Bill Duncan. Now, Greeneville travels to Knoxville and beyond to fill those games slots. Kinda takes a chunk out of the athletic budget to travel to Knoxville rather than Chuckey Doak or South Greene. Plus, the county games were good rivalry games.

I base my assessment that Bill Duncan is not well respected outside the doors of Greeneville High School on 2 things. Neither reason has anything to do with recruiting.

1) The coaches I have talked to in the IMAC do not speak very highly of him. Greeneville High School is not his first coaching stop in East Tennessee.

2) Greeneville High School played all 4 of the county teams during the regular season before Bill Duncan's arrival. Now all 4 county teams refuse to play Greeneville and by all accounts that I have heard it all revolves around Bill Duncan. Now, Greeneville travels to Knoxville and beyond to fill those games slots. Kinda takes a chunk out of the athletic budget to travel to Knoxville rather than Chuckey Doak or South Greene. Plus, the county games were good rivalry games.

I see...it is unusual for coaches to talk badly about a fellow coach...I didn't mention it before but I was a head BB coach in HS for over 20 years...although I was at the AA level in the Knoxville area and my teams never played Greeneville, we did play all the other Greene County schools except North Greene.

My 1st cousin Mike Ogan is the head coach at Powell and I have never heard him say anything negative about Duncan although I think they have only played them in pre-season tournaments. Interesting...sad if true because nothing generates interest in high school sports more than a good old fashion in county rival...usually draws a good crowd as well as cuts tremendously on transportation costs.

• 8 months later...

Its never been terribly impressive, but its even worse this year.

Greeneville is a for sure conf. champ this year with Braylon Loyd at point......Jordan Short on the wing along with bryan Everhart who can shoot the lights out of it.......and troy hopson and trey anderson down low.........which is untill Wes Quarells gets out of football along with the fastest kid at greeneville high Landon Morrison who can also fill it up!!! Game OVER nobody touches them in the conference