The merit based system....

ELA...Here is your post from below...

VOLUNTEER... my plan is more flexible simply because it doesn't require anyone to play anyone in the regular season they don't want to! NO REGIONS, NO REQUIRED GAMES! Only the top 32 teams go to the playoffs each year (no weak teams)! Fewer championships and less travel with the exception of the championship game! YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE MULTIPLIER OR A TOTAL SPLIT! These are the two accepted methods used throughout the United States and the Multiplier is the only way you will ever put the whole system back together! Under my plan, teams might move up or down but without regions, WHY? If a team feels they are playing at a level too high, they could petition for a change based on their previous five year record!

I`ve got news for you ELA, everything you post there can be used in the "merit system". No districts, No regions. No required games. Teams could even petition to move down.

ELA...your qoute..."We must think in different terms!"

So be it. Let`s just try to think of ALL schools instead of the ones you are interested in. Can you handle that concept? When you cry for change , you better be careful. You might just get what you asked for!!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i dont think ELA is bias but it does make me angry.

What is the advantage privates have in 1A?

-They don't have a set school zone, so they can never feel completely great about enrollment or athletes or academics.

-Kids have to pay to go there...which always causes problems

-They are more difficult to attend than public schools...im Sorry but they are, some public schools are great, but some are jokes...Kingsbury's valedictorian had a 4.2 GPA but couldnt get an 18 on the ACT...I went to a private school and had a 3.7 GPA...if I had gone to MUS...it probably would have been 2.9 or 3.0 its just a lot harder.

-They are not funded by the state, therefore they have to come up with their own budget, raise the money themselves, and not rely off of taxpayers.

-Private schools are different based on religion, which can help or hurt you.

-ELA I just think you are sick and tired of losing, and I understand that, but it's not greener on the privates side...I mean take St. Benedict, they won only a few games this year, and none last year...and had 1 person there on financial aide for 1000 dollars...yet they are playing teams like CBHS, or McCallie who are paying out over 100,000! Now that isn't fair...

VG:

ELA is biased? What is your definition of "biased?" Let me guess, anyone who disagrees with you...because that is essentially your argument.

4A and 5A coaches are not going to like any system that places private schools in their classification. Furthermore, 99% of coaches will not agree to a system that adds "points" for winning championships.

There are no 4A and 5A coaches posting on this site. What does that tell you?

Who helped create the split -- the large schools or the small schools?

I have never tried to hide the fact that I want a more fair system for small 1A rural public schools... dear God... that is what this debate has been about for the past two or three years! Volunteer General you have only been a part of this debate for a few months, otherwise you would have already figured that out! Ask Panfan about last summer's discussions. I offered this plan as a COMPROMISE to private schools. This plan is based on the assumption that changes are coming because almost NO one is happy with the system we currently have in place. The private school division is a joke because there aren't enough teams in DII to create a single class of schools (much less three classes). The public schools are in total control of the TSSAA and because of the recent lawsuit(s), changes are going to be forced by the courts. We (public school coaches) want change, therefore, change will come about, so we had better have some good plans ready for consideration. Finally, Volunteer General, this is not about the school where I am currently employed, before coming here I had only had one year with a losing record, this effects all schools and all classes! I have been on record in favor of a total split for five years, this is a compromise! Am I biased yes, you are too! Everyone has their opinions and the freedom to express them; the difference is I am willing to work toward a more comprehensive system and that is what this plan is all about! If it was up to me and I had the power, I would split in 2003!

Sorry for this message in this thread.

VG,

The old coach{eyebrows) retired from coaching 4 years. The new guy they hired had something like 5 wins in the last three years. I heard his players HATED him. If you ever saw them play Saint Ben's always seemed poorly prepared. I hear they hired some guy from florida named Shannon O'Brian. I guess he has some college experience. That's all I know.

ELA...I want some of whatever you are having if you honestly think a split is a compromise. That`s just plain laughable. A multiplier is a compromise,albeit not a fair one. The merit system is a compromise as it still allows the schools to play together. It provides for classes that are grouped in a more competitive manner. A split is no where even remotely close to a compromise. C`mon ELA...you know better than to make a statement like that.

Thanks Grubb.

I couldn`t believe the state of St. Benedicts program last year. I was on their sidelines during the USJ game and they were just totally without a clue and you could tell it was a direct result from the coaching. They were nothing like the teams they had a few years ago. Maybe this new coach can get them going again.

I'm really in favor of the multiplier, only because I think the other schools 2a, 3a, 4a and 5a should have their opportunity to cry. I'm tired of crying about it. We'll use the multiplier for a few years, let all them cry about the unfair advantages of the private schools, and then finally move to the total split which it should have been all along. It takes a while, but eventually you figure it out. I know there's some privates who can't compete, but their are a lot more publics who can't. Volgen, do you honestly think that Ezell, CPA, USJ, or DCA can't compete in 2a. I think CPA would have won year before last and Ezell would have won the state the this year had they been there. USJ would have probably been the second best team both years.

I love playing Trousdale... bring them back any day! They always brought a good gate, treated you fairly, provided great competition, and they are a PUBLIC SCHOOL! We would never play Collinwood in the regular season because they are in the Western Bracket, but I would love to play them again (I coached against them on four Spring scrimmages when I worked at another school). I would have no problems seeing Cloudland in the semi-finals, it would be an honor to play just make it to that round of the playoffs! We play Gordonsville every year! I scrimmage Oneida every summer! My school lost to South Pittsburg (long before I came to Tennessee) in the quarter or semi-finals many years ago! As you see... I have no problem playing against public schools and welcome the chance to do so again! This is not about my current school, but about making the TSSAA playoff system better!

[Edited by ELA on 7/4/02 1:28P]

Let's examine this one more time.

1-How does that make the playoffs better.

2-You are implying that private schools would not bring a crowd to the game.

3-How do privates not treat you fairly? I always got cussed out by players, spit on, or cheap shotted against public schools...never against a private school...we lost in the semi finals the last two years, and I still respect the teams we lost to, they were fair and didn't trash talk (something I was guilty of)

-Taking out teams like USJ, Ezell, CPA wouldn't make the playoffs better, it would water it down even more...

-When Bishop Byrne went out of D2-AA then it didn't make thing better, it watered the competition down...my teammates and me wanted to play the best competition, and see how good we really are...it didn't make it better when they left...