Baylor and Ryan tie for 1st

wosbodog

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the midst of a paragraph of speculation--utterly unsupported by any actual evidence--that one team was the more deserving than the other, you throw in a "but let's not bash the other and just say congrats to both teams." You should take your own advice.

Intentional or not, you slap both teams in the face. You state the obvious, that there were of course points left on the table by both teams. There are always going to be. But you say it was Ryan's many "missed opportunities" that kept them from winning outright? Seriously? They put four wrestlers in the consolation finals. They won all four. They put six into the championship finals. Only two were favorites. Three were underdogs that had lost to their opponents this season, and the sixth was a toss-up, having gone to overtime against his opponent in the Duals. And five of the six won. On Saturday afternoon Ryan needed to step up and deliver a heroic, nearly best-case scenario and that's exactly what they did, and they deserve all the credit in the world. And you're talking about their "missed opportunities?" Man. You might want to reexamine your standards for success.

And, as far as Baylor's "good luck" goes, the only luck involved in the tournament, i.e. results that were not based on the actions of the participants, were the injury defaults and the initial draws. Both teams lost one wrestler in the consolation semifinals, resulting in sixth place finishes for both. But Baylor's wrestler had a good chance of winning that first match and assuring a fourth place; Ryan's was close to nil, having to face a defending state champion who wound up pinning his way through the consolations. But even if both had lost, in the matches for fifth-place Ryan then would've had to face a wrestler who had beaten him just the day before, while Baylor's would've faced someone he'd easily pinned a few weeks earlier.

As far as the draws go, Baylor had four wrestlers--a second-place finisher, two third-place finishers, and one fourth-place finisher who had to take first-round byes, depriving them of the chance for any bonus points. Ryan had one. Given the closeness of the result, well, let's just say that's pretty unlucky.

So please none of this "Ryan missed too many opportunities to win" and "Baylor was the beneficiary of luck" stuff. DS2001 is exactly right--both teams were superb and the tie was a fitting way to end the season.

hmm i never made it into a "Ryan missed too many opportunities" since I stated that BOTH teams had opportunities. My point was to ask for any other known criteria for tiebreakers and i never said baylor was lucky to be tied for 1st. If you weren't so quick to always start an argument you would see tat i said they were lucky that there is no tiebreaker in place because it would favor FR. that doesn't mean i'm bashing Baylor (who wrestled well and has some studs) as your trying to turn it into which is typical to try and stir something up.

Portion of a quote from BigRedBlooded "Both teams lost one wrestler in the consolation semifinals, resulting in sixth place finishes for both."

After recalculating my mistakes in scoring as I showed earlier, I came up with totals of 278 for Ryan and 275 for Baylor. checked and double checked. I only need clarification on what BigRed said and as the rules state:

Individual placement points are awarded as soon as earned. Placement points already earned are deducted in case of forfeit (other than injury) or disqualification from the tournament.

Ryan's 112 inj def in the conso's as did Baylor's 145. Should that not then be a deduction of 3 placement points from both teams? Resulting in scores of 275-272? I am just trying to fully understand the placement points deducted part of the rule. Can anyone explain this please?

Is there a difference in the inj. def. for these two that would affect the deduction?

I'm sure what he was referring to was the fact that baylor had a pretty good lead going into the last day and Ryan was able to come back. after FR won the two head to head matches there was of course worry from the baylor side and especially when Ryans last 3 were up. there were many missed opportunities for each team to win it outright, probably more on FR's side. so actually baylor was lucky and i'm sure were glad to not have a tiebreaker. but for once lets not bash the other and just say congrats to both teams. if their had been a tie breaker what would've been the criteria to decide? if it were based on champions ryan would've won and if it were based on team pins throughout the tournament i think it was close but FR would take that as well. does anyone know?

"so actually baylor was lucky and i'm sure were glad to not have a tiebreaker."

Nope MWR. Your exact words are written above "so baylor was lucky AND I'm sure were glad to not have a tiebreaker" That is completely different from saying that Baylor was lucky there was not a tiebreaker. Nice try but BRB nailed it, and you.

Portion of a quote from BigRedBlooded "Both teams lost one wrestler in the consolation semifinals, resulting in sixth place finishes for both."

After recalculating my mistakes in scoring as I showed earlier, I came up with totals of 278 for Ryan and 275 for Baylor. checked and double checked. I only need clarification on what BigRed said and as the rules state:

Individual placement points are awarded as soon as earned. Placement points already earned are deducted in case of forfeit (other than injury) or disqualification from the tournament.

Ryan's 112 inj def in the conso's as did Baylor's 145. Should that not then be a deduction of 3 placement points from both teams? Resulting in scores of 275-272? I am just trying to fully understand the placement points deducted part of the rule. Can anyone explain this please?

Is there a difference in the inj. def. for these two that would affect the deduction?

Not sure about the point rulings and how this would apply but I don't think that Anthony Simpson injury defaulted out of the tournament. I believe he was sick and failed to make weight the second day as his family was more concerned with his health than getting him to weight (who wouldn't have been). I might look up the rules on how that affects things with team score later but I do believe he didn't make weight as the only more reliable source would have been Anthony himself.

Not sure about the point rulings and how this would apply but I don't think that Anthony Simpson injury defaulted out of the tournament. I believe he was sick and failed to make weight the second day as his family was more concerned with his health than getting him to weight (who wouldn't have been). I might look up the rules on how that affects things with team score later but I do believe he didn't make weight as the only more reliable source would have been Anthony himself.

With all the "bugs" going around, I'm sure many teams were affected by this. I know Maurizi was ill and Anthony was very sick Thursday night, but both wrestled through it for the team. Anthony's family made the right choice to hydrate him, and I know he was upset not to wrestle Saturday. Both teams can dwell on lost points they would like to have back, but these boys really stuck it out for their team, and I am very proud of them. It was a most exciting finish, and shows every effort and point counts for both sides. Congrats to the history makers Father Ryan and Baylor!

1." so actually baylor was lucky and i'm sure were glad to not have a tiebreaker"

2." but for once lets not bash the other and just say congrats to both teams".

3."if their had been a tie breaker what would've been the criteria to decide"?

4."if it were based on champions ryan would've won and if it were based on team pins throughout the tournament i think it was close but FR would take that as well. "

5.does anyone know"?

MWR- I think I found the disconnect. In order:

1. Mild bashing, like a left handed hand shake

2. It's okay for you to bash, but no one else should

3. Your famous Question, that was the real reason for your post, or so you claim

4. Another mild bash

5. Back to the Question

It seems after doing the MATH; you clearly have a bold statement (s), and a general question. I'm sure if you stand by your statement, and try not to hide behind the question, this board will light up with nothing but LOVE....

CC...sends!