Region 2A Tournament

vols

Dave,

I didn't mean to take anything away from Wartburg. They controlled the game from the opening tip and outplayed Oliver Springs both offensively and defensively. You can go back and read my posts going back to last year and I've said all along that I believe Wartburg has a ton of talent, perhaps more than any team in the district plus they have a ton of seniors (and to me a bunch of seniors is the key to a great season). I'm not a bit surprised they won last night. They could have easily won three of four from Oliver Springs this year. The only game that Oliver Springs controlled was the district title game. So I'm not trying to take anything away from their win. I'm actually surprised they didn't beat OS before last night.

I don't think OS wins last night even if they were 100% because Wartburg was the more aggressive team on both ends of the court. Wartburg got into the lane time and time again plus they owned the boards and they did a great job of keeping Oliver Springs' offense pushed out of its comfort zone. I hate the saying that one team wants it more than the other because both teams no doubt want to win, but Wartburg seemed like a team on a mission last night. They kept their composure answered every OS run.

But being healthy has to be a concern of OS fans. OS is going to have to be clicking on all cylinders Saturday night. It sounds like they'll be going to Cloudland and from I hear that is the loudest gym in East Tennessee. I've heard it's a tougher place to play than Oliver Springs, Unaka or Cosby.

I think OS or Wartburg would beat Cosby, but I think Cloudland could knock off either the Lady 'Dogs or Lady 'Cats.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wartburg earned this win with hard work and excellent guard play. People laughed early on when it was said that they may have the two best point guards in the district but it is very true. McWhorter and Armes handle the ball very well for the team and they were the best guards at dealing with O.S. and their changing defenses.

Branstetter and Fountain were great under the goal and Staten was big at stopping the early run that O.S. attempted to put on the girls by making some key 3pt shots!

It was a team against an individual and the team won out! I'm not suprised that it took Wartburg this long to beat O.S. It's hard to overcome mental blocks like the ones that O.S. has put up over the years. This is in my opinion the biggest win in school history. Hopefully until Saturday!

I am impressed with how composed the Wartburg girls were throughout the entire game. Way to go ladies you made history! Good job Coaches and Players!

Let's keep after it Saturday.

GO LADY BOBCATS, Things happen no big deal just take care of business and go on to State when you have so many players sick its hard to be your best. Everyones healthy you would have been at home playing so just make the bus ride and get a little more rest then on to State...GO LADY BOBCATS... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" After playing a physically tough game against Coalfield, OS girls needed to come back in a mental state to beat Wartburg. They weren't ready to play and if anyone in the stands didn't notice it, they had to be blind. How many times has any one saw OS girls pulling on their shorts and laboring for breath? Not many thats for sure because they are a second half team. Sickness and mental preparation took its toll on them thats for sure. Wartburg played tough, they came ready to win! Now they will host Sectionals in their own gym and good luck to them, I want any one from this area to do well. Maybe the Dogs and Cats will meet again in the Boro!! OS needs to compose themselves, shake off the cobb webbs and get hungry because the State is still in arms reach!! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

GO LADY BOBCATS, Things happen no big deal just take care of business and go on to State when you have so many players sick its hard to be your best. Everyones healthy you would have been at home playing so just make the bus ride and get a little more rest then on to State...GO LADY BOBCATS... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

WHATEVER!! Wartburg's starter Ashley Settles was out due to illness, but we had other players step up and get the job done! The Lady Bulldogs earned that win, it wasn't given to them because the other team had players out sick!

WHATEVER!! Wartburg's starter Ashley Settles was out due to illness, but we had other players step up and get the job done! The Lady Bulldogs earned that win, it wasn't given to them because the other team had players out sick!

Yeah, OK GO LADY BOBCATS... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I have not seen as much women's basketball this season as I would like......with that being said, Wartburg's personnel proved to be one of the deciding factors in the game the other night. Someone stated that Christopher, for once this season, appeared to be a little "worn out" towards the end of the game. I would suspect she should be with the load she has been forced to carry for a while. The Lady Bulldogs just come in waves and most of them are solid fundamentally sound players. Kayla must have felt swamped! I could see this coming, so I can't say it really surprised me. I would think the OS players would heed this wake up call, cause their road to M'boro just got a bit tougher. Of course with the phenom.....it's doable. OS certainly has enough weapons, and as much as people think otherwise, Coach Christopher does (IMO) give other players ample opportunity to impact the outcome.

So......in a nutshell, I'm NOT poor mouthing OS or their players. They would do well to remember the things that have made them so successful in the past. (Didn't you all play Webb and beat them?)(don't look now but they are in the Chamionship Game at the State) Sure KC is a big part of that, but so are quite a few others! Coach Davis......good job.....Super Dave Osborne was stuck on his Lady Eagles and he neglected to see what a solid team you were building. I, of course, follow the Lady Indians and even my heart didn't over rule my head this season. The two most solid teams in our region are right where they want to be. Good luck to both! (I really mean that!)

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Kazam /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Here are some facts regarding Wartburg's upset win against Oliver Springs:

1) Oliver Springs was not 100 percent

2) The game was played on Wartburg's homecourt. Oliver Springs was 2-0 against Wartburg on the Bulldog's homecourt this season before the upset loss in the region championship game.

3) Isn't this Wartburg's first victory over Oliver Springs in like 15 to 20 attempts?

4) This victory most likely registers as Wartburg's biggest win in school history.

5) Oliver Springs wins 9 out of 10 games against Wartburg on ithe Bulldog's home court.

6) Oliver Springs wins 10 out of 10 times on a neutral or home court against Wartburg.

Wartburg wasn't 100% either

Thanks Kaz Oneida has a great tradition and I think we're all going to see some good things from their young players sooner than some think.

Your takes on the district are usually on point and this year is no different. Hopefully Wartburg and OS will find their way to the state tourney. Both teams have some tough work ahead of them before they get there /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />