Northeast High School

That is correct. Coach Watkins did not drop a pass, or throw an interception, or miss a tackle this whole season. I wish you could see the different type of players that were on the 96 team that was 12-1. I dont think any of todays players could have started for that team. Good players can make a coach look good. Appparently you are just a parent and never been a coach.

Ok wait what about the fact that Northeast ran 1 offese 90% of the time (wingback) and thier number 1 play they ran all the time was just black right off jet right and then some run play like 32 trap. There was no big scheme to the eagles last year. Thats a big part why they lost every game.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are some great ideas and input in here, I also think there is alot of bashing, but just for a minute lets look at the facts. Northeast has been rezoned 6 times in 10 years. When Arrington took Kenwood to the playoffs he was a god among coaches, then Kenwood got put into the same district Northeast is now in and didn't win a game....after that it was said he didn't know what a football looked like. If I were a head coach, I would not apply for this job. Its an unwinnable situation.

Northeast has a great bunch of kids, HAD coaches that knew football, and had the support of great parents! Now they are in a district where they can't win, I don't care who you bring in here, Northeast will not be competitive....It happened to them, it happened to Kenwood and it happened to Clarksville.....Gonna be a tough slot to fill!!

Wont Northeast owe money to the TSSAA if they cannot put a football team in 6-5a this year?

OK! I only want to address one thing. Clay Welch is a good friend of mine and he has a special thing going on in his life right now and most likely has not seen the attack on his person. He worked hard and did what he could under the situation. He is a good man and has the kids best interest at heart but was working under some constrants.OK! I only want to adress one thing. Clay Welch is a good friend of mine and he has a special thing going on in his life right now and most likely has not seen the attack on his person. He worked hard and did what he could under the situation. He is a good man and has the kids best interest at heart but was working under some constrants.

You are not a very "wise" guy, are you? Are you in education? Your post sounds like a statement from someone who is a PE teacher and doesn't feel like they get enough respect.

First, no matter how important physical education is...the regular classroom education ABSOLUTELY is more important than physical education. Second, the requirements for a PE teacher on a day-to-day basis pale in comparison to that of a classroom teacher. A PE teacher does not have to grade papers. A PE teacher doesn't have to worry about Gateway exams. A PE teacher does not have to differentiate lesson plans. I could go on and on. A high school PE teacher has an inordinate amount of time to properly educate his students and focus on coaching his/her sport as compared to a regular classroom teacher. So, yes, I stand strongly behind my solution...and most administrations follow it if they can find the qualified person for the reasons I stated above.

Now, on to the other point you brought up...obesity among our youth. Obesity in America is a problem that reaches far beyond teaching children about proper diet and exercise. It is a by-product of many factors such as technological advances, busier lives, instant everything, etc...not to mention genetics. These factors, and human nature, will continue to make obesity a problem that will not go away any time soon...no matter the education.

Before you get all defensive trying to defend PE teachers...I dare you to spend a year trying to teach a math, science, or history class PROPERLY!

I dare the teachers we have to teach math and science properly. The fact is that most of us that are proficient in math and science and chemistry typically become engineers, chemists and research scientists. Are the gateway scores in science and math at NE really that much better than NE's football record over the past 4 or 5 years? I somehow doubt it.

I agree that knowing football and being proficient in teaching academics are not one and the same. Why should they be treated as such? Find the very best math and science teachers and athletic coaches and hire them for what they do best. Finding a teacher that can coach is hard enough. Finding a coach that can teach a specific subject is even more restrictive. Coaching positions should at least be opened up to anyone with a teaching certificate from any school system at a minimum. Qualified volunteers that have the time and the knowledge to coach in addition to their 'real' job should also be considered. For that matter, qualified individuals that might not have a teaching certificate could be of great use in the high school math departments in this state.

I think there are some great ideas and input in here, I also think there is alot of bashing, but just for a minute lets look at the facts. Northeast has been rezoned 6 times in 10 years. When Arrington took Kenwood to the playoffs he was a god among coaches, then Kenwood got put into the same district Northeast is now in and didn't win a game....after that it was said he didn't know what a football looked like. If I were a head coach, I would not apply for this job. Its an unwinnable situation.

Northeast has a great bunch of kids, HAD coaches that knew football, and had the support of great parents! Now they are in a district where they can't win, I don't care who you bring in here, Northeast will not be competitive....It happened to them, it happened to Kenwood and it happened to Clarksville.....Gonna be a tough slot to fill!!

The region is not an excuse. It did not happen to Clarksville they went to the playoffs 2 of the 4 years they were in that region. I garauntee you the rick butler NE teams could have not only played in that region but won it. It is totally the administration not caring enough about the program. You have to have a coach and support him, get him what he needs to compete (equipment) and make sure he has coaches in the building walking the halls. That helps the kids more than anything because they will be in contact, trust and respect their coaches more on and off the field. It can be done they just need to gut the program, hire coaches to fill vacant teaching spots and give them rebuilding time. I know there will be teaching spots but the administration wont consider sports when hiring teachers. The bad thing is it will be Southerland and a bunch of parents and it will be that much longer to fix the problem.

The region is not an excuse. It did not happen to Clarksville they went to the playoffs 2 of the 4 years they were in that region. I garauntee you the rick butler NE teams could have not only played in that region but won it. It is totally the administration not caring enough about the program. You have to have a coach and support him, get him what he needs to compete (equipment) and make sure he has coaches in the building walking the halls. That helps the kids more than anything because they will be in contact, trust and respect their coaches more on and off the field. It can be done they just need to gut the program, hire coaches to fill vacant teaching spots and give them rebuilding time. I know there will be teaching spots but the administration wont consider sports when hiring teachers. The bad thing is it will be Southerland and a bunch of parents and it will be that much longer to fix the problem.

TRUE

Say what you will, but Welch nor Southerland want this job. I know both well, and they do not want to take this job. I will say that at one time they both did interview and were told they are not ready to be head coaches. Southerland is leaving the school at the end of the year, and who would blame him. Maybe they should hire all the dad's to coach along with the booster club. Watkins, Kordish, Southerland, or Welch were forced to resign. So the real question should be who is dumb enough to become the next head coach of a program that has no backing from anyone.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Say what you will, but Welch nor Southerland want this job. I know both well, and they do not want to take this job. I will say that at one time they both did interview and were told they are not ready to be head coaches. Southerland is leaving the school at the end of the year, and who would blame him. Maybe they should hire all the dad's to coach along with the booster club. Watkins, Kordish, Southerland, or Welch were forced to resign. So the real question should be who is dumb enough to become the next head coach of a program that has no backing from anyone.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

They have a booster club? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I am afraid I agree with you about everything you said. My point was not to make an excuse and maybe I did not explain it well, I have a tendency to do that. My point was that being thrown into a tougher district while trying to rebuild a program makes it hard. Add to that the absence of a head coach and its almost impossible.

On that note, I hear they have narrowed their search down to some dude from Austin East.../tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Any number of coaches could turn that place around. Sutherland is not one of them.

If they are serious about winning.......which seldom in all of Montgomery County have they ever been........they will actively seek out a man who has had experience turning programs around......instead of a 1st year head coach or an asst. coach from some "big time" program. Bottom line is with an exception or two, over the last 20 years, Clarksville has cared very little about the athletic programs of thier schools. Some programs have won in a couple of different sports (mostly basketball, where it only takes a couple of real players), but in football.........the TRUEST of all team sports............success has been fleeting to say the least. Would anyone say Cheatham County or White House or Greenbriar or Sycamore or Creekwood............or virtually any other school who surrounds Montgomery County has better athletes year in and year out than almost any Clarksville school? Yet all these school listed have had markedly more success long term than ANY Montgomery County school.

Its really ashamed........Clarksville has everything needed to be successfull in the classroom and on the playing field....but with horrible athletic admin...........year after tiresome year..........they very simply have become the laughing stock of the state.

Whites Creek vs. Northeast

* Whites Creek 40 plays offense 30 yards rushing 133 yards passing No Touchdowns 1 interception

* Northeast 40 plays offense 74 yards rushing 21 yards passing No Touchdowns 2 interceptions

* Whites Creek 3 goal line series 3 touchdowns

* Northeast 3 goal line series 1 touchdown

Was a good scrimmage with good weather, and not a problem all day. Whites Creek impressed us with their great attitudes and discipline. As well as our discipline was great. Both teams had a great day and the hitting was better than we expected. Great tackling on both sides of the ball.

As for coaching at Northeast, the school needs a head coach now. Was tough running things in the spring, and you are correct, they need to bring an outsider in for the head coaching position. With help, we ran a program that had no discipline to create a group of young men that fought their hearts out with what they had. The weight program became the center piece of the winer, and there were gains that were impressive. Not the strongest team, but not as weak as everyone thought. There is also much talent at Northeast. The Coaches have increased the numbers from 40+ last year to 100+ in the Spring. The Sophmore Class, which has an option to remain at Northeast after the split, is 43 boys in number. So the school has numbers, but a new head coach needs to have a staff that is consistant. Then and only then and a move to 4A will Northeast be successful.

BoxBrew, I am not the man to turn the program around, but with help from a few gentlemen we set the foundation for change. Completing several hours community service, offering over 100 student athletes physicals, and saw many increase their grades from failing to passing. The head coach should have been Clay Welch in my opinion, but that is just my opinion. I also believe that the former staff was done wrong, and Paul Watkins became burnt out with the community and region he was in. Trust me, this is a tough area to coach. I wish those men the best of luck, and yes, we all resigned our post earlier in the spring. The rest is history. Good luck and God bless!