compare records

pujo

In football, the last time before BA that a private school had won the AAA state was 1977 (Christian Brothers). Prior to that, Ryan won in '74 and Baylor in '73.

Keeping in mind that a split, multiplier, or whatever will not just affect football, I checked the rest of the "big four" sports as well. In boys basketball, Christian Brothers won AAA in 1987. Before that, you have to go all the way back to 1927, when Cathedral High out of Nashville won the single-class event.

In girls hoops, 1927 is the only top-class state title for a private school, as the Peabody Demonstration School (now USN) won. With the obvious exception of Division II, Ezell's Class A win this year and David Lipscomb's AA title in 1986 are the only other private titles in any class.

Baseball has seen three AAA gold trophies go to the privates, Christian Brothers in 1997 and MBA in 1993 and 1978. In the single-class era, CBHS won five titles and McCallie and MBA one each.

Finally, softball. This one was only sanctioned in 1979, and three private titles in AAA again--Ryan's win in 1995 followed two in a row for Baylor.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vol "G", if you don't like this discussion and you think it is silly, maybe you should save yourself some headaches and not read this message board. I'm sure you are a smart guy and make a good living doing whatever it is that you do, but we are really trying to find a solution and you are never going to agree with the rest of us, so I suggest that you either contribute positively or go back to the football board and talk football! I know I'm a nobody assistant football coach who's ideas will never be accepted by the private sector, but I do make a meager living coaching high school football and I think I know a few things about the game and the sport. Private schools have an advantage over public schools and many of them should play up a classification or two! We need a system that will move up more than one school every four years and you know that it will take two decades for your plan to work! We need to immediately move about five schools up to AA and at least two AA schools up to AAA to make the system better for everyone! I don't coach at a school that will be effected by any of this until all of the schools are merged (DII) and I don't see that happen any time soon.

Stan, Vol "G" means well, but he is only going to support a plan than keeps all or most of the privates playing against much weaker schools so they can continue to dominate in a class where they don't belong. He says his plan will fix this problem, but he doesn't realize or thinks we won't understand that it will take decades to balance things out under his "merit plan." IN the meantime, small private schools will go on beating small public schools by 50-60 or 70 points a game, while people like Vol "G" stand on the sidelines holding the chains saying, "Maybe you boys should work a little harder next year! Maybe you will only lose by 40 points if you do!"

[Edited by caesar on 7/8/02 11:42P]

Panfan, you are right in part, but it also has to do with the size of the stadium(s), number of season tickets and gross revenue produced by a program, and about forty other factors that are used to determine if a college can move up to NCAA D-I from NCAA D-IAA! Stan is trying to help Vol "G" see the bigger picture but I don't think he will succeed because Vol "G" views the world from a different point of view and he seems to be unwilling to see the world through any other perspective. I think you have a much better understanding of private schools (because from what I gather you have worked in one for several years) and I understand you are in favor of a multiplier of some sort. We may disagree with how the system should be put into place, but you have to admit his plan will take way too long and will be ineffective overall. By the way Stan, maybe you should ask why a NAIA school doesn't want to play a NCAA D-1 or D-1AA school in football? VOL "G" to answer your question about MTSU, they are the most improved school in the NCAA D-1 and they are simply playing UA and UT to bring in a huge gate and gain more exposure for recruiting purposes! Also it helps them keep their numbers up for the NCAA D-1 ticket count to remain a D-1 school.

You know I got to go to Clarksville today, and I was at Clarksville Academy...a 1A private, and I glanced at their second place football trophy in 1997.

They beat teams like Ezell, and other teams like that...then I glanced at the playoffs, they beat USJ 27-26 in the semi-finals...and then lost 46-0 to Trousdale...46 to 0 in the state championship? And you are saying that privates just beat up on publics...will someone please explain that to me?

caesar....you shouldn`t be so obsessed with me. I wish when you post things, you would tell the truth. My plan wouldn`t necessarily take decades to work. I have posted that you could go back retroactively and use past records. Why don`t you try keeping up on this subject before you go spouting off?

caesar....What makes you think I don`t like this discussion? I`ll tell you what...since you don`t like my ideas then would you please ignore them rather than spreading lies on this board?? I have offered a lot to this discussion and there are a lot of people here who see some good things about the merit system. I`m sorry if you can`t see the fairness of it. Better yet,why don`t you try and offer some ideas of your own that would make it work better? I`ve even suggested that only private schools should be moved up, because you and pujo pitched such a hissy fit about it. You know just because you don`t agree with something I say, doesn`t automatically make my thoughts negative.You know, myself and a lot of others on here have repeatedly told you that some of your statements about private schools are wrong. Have you ever just stopped a second to think that maybe you are wrong about some things that you believe to be true about private schools?

I`m going to bed now. So please don`t do like poor ol Stan and sit around and wait on me to respond to any message that you might post.

Night VG

EGO..why don`t you just shut up! You are not a public school coach, so you couldn`t possibly know what you are talking about. Quit being so negative, ok? If you don`t like this discussion, then just go back to the football board and talk football!!! LOL!! LOL!!

VG :^)

(sound reasoning will not be accepted here....you got that?)

Ceaser,

I didn't know about all that other stuff. I guess that is why MTSU had to buid onto their stadium.

I have been involved with private schools for a long time, and I would agree to a multiplier system to prevent a split. It just doesn't make any sense to me to rob the kids, fans and the game of the rivalries and competition that goes on between good public and good private schools. We all know that when CPA and Collinwood took the field last year both teams and fans had a little extra excitement in their steps and their warm-ups. That was one heck of a great battle. We all lose if those battles are eliminated. You know what, I'd bet that most Collinwood folks would say the CPA folks were all right and the CPA folks would say the same about Collinwood. Why take away that stuff?? It is self serving coaches that think otherwise. I don't even think the players would worry if their elders didn't tell them to.

Ultimatly, I haven't really heard anything that makes me think there is any reason to do anything other than bring back in the DII schools under a large multiplier and go head to head. I am sorry, but it is a TRAGEDY that McCallie and BA did not get to duke it out with Maryville or Riverdale. It is TERRIBLE for both sides.

I just think people put to much of a stereotype on private schools. Most private schools go out of there way to follow rules and do right. Sure, you have the evil empire and a couple others that do wrong or at least did at one time. But, you also have public schools that don't do right.

We should be trying to find a way to help TSSAA regulate their rules instead of trying to say you cheat, no you cheat and have this advantage and so on.

If VolG's plan is the plan where you move up and down based on if you win or not, you are right, it stinks. I agree with most of what VG says, but the move based on merit idea is no so good. Things should be decided based on VERY objective ideas. School population is a great one.

Anyway, you didn't ask for a soap box, but hey you got it anyway.

VolunteerGeneral

EGO..why don`t you just shut up! You are not a public school coach, so you couldn`t possibly know what you are talking about. Quit being so negative, ok? If you don`t like this discussion, then just go back to the football board and talk football!!! LOL!! LOL!!

LOL... This is the exact same thing ive been tellin all the private school bashers on this board for months. You cant talk about things you have no idea about. Very mature post as well. :/ gl and hf i think.