Wing-T in 5A football

Here is another way to look at this question.

I think some teams run it JUST to hopefully be competitive; I really think the offense gives lesser talented teams a chance to compete...............there can only be one gold ball for one 5A team; it will generally go to one of 4-5 teams that simply have the best players and sometimes a bit of LUCK or good break!

From last year, 2 teams come to mind about just being competitive because of the offense.

One is Coffee County. I really think Bill Price did a great job of keeping Coffee Co. competitive and "I think" that the Wing offense was the primary reason..............he has had zero speed since he has been there, but they have competed............win a gold ball. NO CHANCE!! but they showed up and made you work!!

Second is Wilson Central. they were picked dead last in a very tough Region 4-5A, but somehow were very competitive. Were they just very lucky or did their offense help them some?? I thought they competed quite nicely and might have won several other regions ( had they had a different membership).

The Riverdale teams for the last (2) years are getting a bad rap for not winning a "gold ball" and the offense is getting all the blame..........how many skill kids have they had in the last 2 years that have signed in college?

I think A and his staff have done a great job

The last Rankin Riverdale team (3 years ago) also did not win a "gold ball" with easily the best team in the state........LOD! Is the offensive scheme to blame? No, it is not. See my above statement on "gold balls". I really think that Ravenwood and the first Smyrna "gold ball" benefited from the "perfect storm" and they sailed right into a championship. Were they the best teams those 2 years; probably not, BUT they got those championships...........and I congratulate them!

IMO only

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some teams run it JUST to hopefully be competitive; I really think the offense gives lesser talented teams a chance to compete...............there can only be one gold ball for one 5A team; it will generally go to one of 4-5 teams that simply have the best players and sometimes a bit of LUCK or good break!

From last year, 2 teams come to mind about just being competitive because of the offense.

One is Coffee County. I really think Bill Price did a great job of keeping Coffee Co. competitive and "I think" that the Wing offense was the primary reason..............he has had zero speed since he has been there, but they have competed............win a gold ball. NO CHANCE!! but they showed up and made you work!!

Second is Wilson Central. they were picked dead last in a very tough Region 4-5A, but somehow were very competitive. Were they just very lucky or did their offense help them some?? I thought they competed quite nicely and might have won several other regions ( had they had a different membership).

The Riverdale teams for the last (2) years are getting a bad rap for not winning a "gold ball" and the offense is getting all the blame..........how many skill kids have they had in the last 2 years that have signed in college?

The last Rankin Riverdale team (3 years ago) also did not win a "gold ball" with easily the best team in the state........LOD! Is the offensive scheme to blame? No, it is not. See my above statement on "gold balls". I really think that Ravenwood and the first Smyrna "gold ball" benefited from the "perfect storm" and they sailed right into a championship. Were they the best teams those 2 years; probably not, BUT they got those championships...........and I congratulate them!

IMO only

I agree that three years ago R'dale 'should' have won it all. I also have a 'theory' why they didn't, but I will not say it here as I cannot PROVE it. Also have a theory as to why we got beat by Smyrna two years ago, but will NOT say it for the same reason. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

This year the team took the WC game for granted and were looking ahead at a Smyrna re-match and WC came in with a new game plan and flat out BEAT us. For that Congratulations WC! WC WOULD have won Region outright if they had been in Region 1, 3 or 7. Then again LaVergne would have been in the playoffs if they were in any Region than 4.

Smyrna played smart these last two years and deserved what they WON and like I have said before they deserve Congratulations for doing it.

Thing is if ANY Coach has a rigid game plan that is not working and does not make adjustments at halftime they are gonna get beat no matter what they are running.

I agree that three years ago R'dale 'should' have won it all. I also have a 'theory' why they didn't, but I will not say it here as I cannot PROVE it. Also have a theory as to why we got beat by Smyrna two years ago, but will NOT say it for the same reason. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

This year the team took the WC game for granted and were looking ahead at a Smyrna re-match and WC came in with a new game plan and flat out BEAT us. For that Congratulations WC! WC WOULD have won Region outright if they had been in Region 1, 3 or 7. Then again LaVergne would have been in the playoffs if they were in any Region than 4.

Smyrna played smart these last two years and deserved what they WON and like I have said before they deserve Congratulations for doing it.

Thing is if ANY Coach has a rigid game plan that is not working and does not make adjustments at halftime they are gonna get beat no matter what they are running.

Praise the Lord! And AMEN.

I agree with what was said about WC. I think Elrod is a heck of an OC and he utilized the talent that he had to the best of their ability. It was obvious that the players were well-coached and had their fundamentals down. The expectations were high. Their DC also did a great job adjusting when they played RHS. PLUS.....after the yr that they had had before when they changed the offense around mid-season and it was a disaster, they had to do more than just coaching to get them to the level they achieved. How you motivate players then comes into play. Now we all know that you can have the best coaches and players but it takes just one thing can go wrong in a game to send you home.....an injury to a crucial player.....one bad call......loss of momentum....weather factors..... dissention on the team........dissention on the staff....... too many parents getting a voice......a missed block.....a missed tackle.......a busted assigment.....we have seen them all. Sometimes it just isn't your night.

Personally I think if the players don't have confidence in what they are running, or in their coach, it doesn't matter if you have a whole team of blue chip players......you won't win. That is where the parents come in.....if you have them back-biting you to their kids.... it is a lose-lose everytime.

Those Cleveland teams were very talented. The 93 team was the best team I ever seen a Maryville team play. Cleveland had 3 kids that had track speed. Kevin and Keith Cobb were 4.3 forty guys. Dante Hickey was a 4.4 guy. Maryville would stuff them for 5 or 6 plays in a row then BAM. 80 yd run,50 yd run. 1 missed tackle and those guys were gone. They beat Maryville 70-28.

yes!

Not being a smart donkey, but I played on that team at cleveland and we won 21-0 in the semi-final against sullivan south in death valley. We held the amazing Jeremy Osborne to 64 yards on 31 carries. I'm currently on staff with Coach Monroe at Ooltewah. He is amazing when it comes to knowledge about the game, and he is great about teaching us as a staff. The wing-t had a lot to do with our success, but Coach Monroe and his staff was the main factor!

Yes, I did have the score wrong. I was going to edit it but waited to see how long it would take before someone that maybe played that game corrected me. Thanks for your input. Did not know you shut Osborne down so badly. The score doesn't sound like to bad a spanking. Did South give you any competition at all? Who were your hardest games that year?

IMO only

the RIVERDALE team 3years ago lost to Oak Ridge in the SEMI FINALS we was out played and out coached in that game...ihaving said that we was still in it late in the game even though u play bad sometimes when you get to the feild it is not your night and that was that night OR wanted it more they got tired of losing to us

the team after that had many starters returning and yet we lose in the QTRs to a team we beat 49-0...you can win with the wing T the problem is in the playoffs the teams are better and better coached and the coaches teach them to stay in the gap and prevent the big play...i thin the wing T is great for CC and Oakland teams that dont have too much it is great to help keep them in the game however for RIVERDALE in MY OPINION it hasnt been a good fit when u dominate a team throughout and you ar eonly winning 21-0 it is not good no back ups get to play and get that experience the starters play too much so as the season goes they are tired than what they have been in years past..look at it this way...we had 5 lineman get scholarships with that kind of talent you would want to get to the line quicker however we are running side to side and 5 yards in the backfeild before we get to the line while it may be good in 4A where u have fewer players and they play more both ways in 5A it is not as good as fewer players play both ways...i also think it puts a lot of pressure on the defense to not make a mistake because playing it close to the vest gets you beat and one defenseive mistake can change the entire game

the RIVERDALE team 3years ago lost to Oak Ridge in the SEMI FINALS we was out played and out coached in that game...ihaving said that we was still in it late in the game even though u play bad sometimes when you get to the feild it is not your night and that was that night OR wanted it more they got tired of losing to us

the team after that had many starters returning and yet we lose in the QTRs to a team we beat 49-0...you can win with the wing T the problem is in the playoffs the teams are better and better coached and the coaches teach them to stay in the gap and prevent the big play...i thin the wing T is great for CC and Oakland teams that dont have too much it is great to help keep them in the game however for RIVERDALE in MY OPINION it hasnt been a good fit when u dominate a team throughout and you ar eonly winning 21-0 it is not good no back ups get to play and get that experience the starters play too much so as the season goes they are tired than what they have been in years past..look at it this way...we had 5 lineman get scholarships with that kind of talent you would want to get to the line quicker however we are running side to side and 5 yards in the backfeild before we get to the line while it may be good in 4A where u have fewer players and they play more both ways in 5A it is not as good as fewer players play both ways...i also think it puts a lot of pressure on the defense to not make a mistake because playing it close to the vest gets you beat and one defenseive mistake can change the entire game

What is your explanation then for teams in the highest classifications in CA, TX, OH, and Ga winning state championships running the wing-t? Now this is just my observation but it seems to me that some Riverdale fans are using the wing-t as a scapegoat for Riverdale's "problems." The wing-t is what you make it(which is the beauty of the offense to begin with) if you want to burn the clock, shorten the game, keep the score close you can do it running the wing-t. If you want a high powered, high scoring offense, you can have it running the wing-t. If a coaches philosophy is very conservative it doesn`t matter if you're running the I-formation, the veer, or the Wing-t. The wing-t can be adapted/modified to play any style of offense that a coach wants. If you're biggest problem with the wing-t is that the plays are side to side than you need to blame your play caller not the wing-t, there are plenty of inside traps, FB dives, and zone blocking plays disigned for nothing but quick hitters up the middle. Heck I`ve seen teams motion a wing back behind the FB and PRESTO you have a standard I-formation look with the added factor of the 2nd wingback still there for any "standard" wing-t plays you want to run. Tired of having everyone log jammed around the ball? Fine move both wingbacks out and you now have a 4WR spread look drop your QB back and pass to your hearts content, you still have the FB in the backfield for any inside running you want to do, or you can fake to the FB out of this look and run option to either side since you now have pitchmen on both sides.

I literally could go on for hours on how you could transform the standard wing-t into anything you wanted to do. All the pieces necessary are there in the wing-t, its up to the individual coach to utilize what is at his disposal. Any kind of program or team can run the wing-t, ones with lots of talent, or teams that doesn`t have alot. The wing-t is what you decide to use it for, it is the tool, not the system as a whole.

to be honest with you i have no idea about the high classifications in those states BUT explain to me why no one in TN has won it in the high classification...

i think that WC is the closest wing t that could compete for state but they havent done it yet and they have had the athletes to do it

Look all i know is that in the past we have had less talent not only make it to state but win state then what we have had for the past 2 years. I love RIVERDALE AND I HOPE THE PLAYERS AND COACHES PROVE ME WRONG but the fact is our younger player are not getting the game experience that they are used to and in practice there is a lot more standing around than what used to and that means that players are probably not developing like they should be i hope i am wrong on this also...but if i am wrong all people will say is that the talent level is down which they have been saying for 10 years now...

GO WARRIORS

i think that WC is the closest wing t that could compete for state but they havent done it yet and they have had the athletes to do it /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Look all i know is that in the past we have had less talent not only make it to state but win state /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> then what we have had for the past 2 years.

Exactly what "herb" are you on????

to be honest with you i have no idea about the high classifications in those states BUT explain to me why no one in TN has won it in the high classification...

i think that WC is the closest wing t that could compete for state but they havent done it yet and they have had the athletes to do it

Look all i know is that in the past we have had less talent not only make it to state but win state then what we have had for the past 2 years. I love RIVERDALE AND I HOPE THE PLAYERS AND COACHES PROVE ME WRONG but the fact is our younger player are not getting the game experience that they are used to and in practice there is a lot more standing around than what used to and that means that players are probably not developing like they should be i hope i am wrong on this also...but if i am wrong all people will say is that the talent level is down which they have been saying for 10 years now...

GO WARRIORS

I`ll repost what I posted in the 1st page of this thread

The idea that the Wing-T offense is not effective because no 4A or 5A team has won the state championship running the Wing-T is ridiculous and flawed logic in my opinion. First off it takes more than an offensive system in order to win a state championship, there is no almightly offense that if adapted will lead a team to a state championship, the offense is just one part. Now there are only a certain number of teams running the Wing-T offense in this state period, of those teams how many are capable of winning a state championship no matter what offense they chose to run? The pool of teams that even have the resources capable to win the state championship are small to begin with, even small in that group are teams running the Wing-T. So the chances of a team winning the state championship that runs the Wing-T is small no matter what because of how few teams run the Wing-T to begin with.