State of Oak Ridge Football

bbulldog

Oak Ridge must be undefeated in Spring Sports because the excuse for Oak Ridge's numbers being down and the skill players not being there is always that those kids are in spring sports and "are coming out" for the fall. So my only conclusion is that Bearden and all of the other schools in our area with 100 kids out for football spring practice must not have any spring sports. Therefore we must be winning all of the games scheduled for those sports by forfeit.

Ole Dad

There you have it. Told by someone that knows football. If he said it you can believe it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that my wife is tickled to death. At least for this year, she is going to get Friday nights in the fall back. After 39 years of going to the games, I don't have any desire or plan on being there. I just don't think I can bear to watch another year of Stephens at the wheel. I wish the players and their parents all the luck in the world and we will see you again when a new head coach is hired and Mr. Stevens is gone. Sad, but true. /mellow.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mellow:" border="0" alt="mellow.gif" />

Has anyone in Oak Ridge asked the 'powers that be' just how much football brings in money wise vs how much Basketball (BOTH Boys and girls) does?

Then ask them just how much that kind of revenue has gone DOWN since the present coach got there?

While people griping is annoying it is the MONEY that WILL get their attention! Or better yet the lack of it last year and this year, and especially so when precious fund are squandered on scrimmage games that are not played for 'some' reason.

I have found to get the desired affect you go right to where they are most concerned. The WALLET!

I admit I have a vested interest in this because if Oak Ridge does not do well I don't get to go there for RIBS! Besides I actually do like the train whistle and watching the team come down the stairs!

The reason Stanton Stevens got tenure would be that he was reassigned from the high school to the alternative school, which is even in a different place(location) than the high school and a different supervisor, Chuck Carringer ( the high school principal) had no control over the situation. The more you hear the worst it sounds.

These fans saying they aren't going to the games? Cmon these kids need your support. I was in the Maryville stands in the late 80s and early 90s when Maryville was getting their butt kicked a lot. I remember watching Cleveland score 70 on Maryville in 1993. Stand behind your team.

Has anyone in Oak Ridge asked the 'powers that be' just how much football brings in money wise vs how much Basketball (BOTH Boys and girls) does?

Then ask them just how much that kind of revenue has gone DOWN since the present coach got there?

While people griping is annoying it is the MONEY that WILL get their attention! Or better yet the lack of it last year and this year, and especially so when precious fund are squandered on scrimmage games that are not played for 'some' reason.

I have found to get the desired affect you go right to where they are most concerned. The WALLET!

I admit I have a vested interest in this because if Oak Ridge does not do well I don't get to go there for RIBS! Besides I actually do like the train whistle and watching the team come down the stairs!

Lost Old Dad has a point here, in 1986 when Oak Ridge went 4-6 and looked a lot like this team did last week, the gate dollars dropped off so bad that the Athletic Director at that time said he came very close to having to cancel some spring sports due to lack of revenue from football, which pays the way for all. Fortunately, he was able to come up with some funding and the spring sports survived. This Administration may feel that bite this year, unless they are a whole lot better then I think they might be. A lot of us will still go to the games and support the kids, but there are a lot that won't.

Other sports are nice, but the cold hard reality is FOOTBALL pays the bills of ALOT of other sports which don't usually even break even! This is especially true of GIRLS sports and things like Track. For instance how many on here have every even showed up to watch a cross country track meet?

Like I said it is the MONEY administration folks listen to! Even 'Politicians' understand it almost as much as they do VOTES.

I read these post and come to figure out one thing. Most of you are not posting or have this great concern about the state of oak Ridge football. It appears that it is addressed more at Stevens or the power that be that went away from the decision that you wanted. I remember when this process was going on. Out of everybody that applied to say stevens was not qualified or didn't have a proven record is just not true. The Knoxville media loved and considered him one of the best coaches and his program one of the best in east tennessee. Not to mention he is a home town kid. It must be very hurtful to go through what this man is going through. Finally to land a job at the place you love. i can remember people in east knoxville complaining about how Stevens would always brag and talk about oak ridge football. (Oak Ridge is the one program AE never beat... a lot of AE fans have bad taste about OR). He tried to build his program at Ae the way it was at OR. Remember Stevens is a coaching product of Joe Gaddis and a player from the great Oak Ridge Football Program. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> But you cowards get on a computer and spread negative talk about a guy who may be doing the best he can. Lets look at some truths. oak Ridge has been to the state championship twice in the last 25 years or more. Twice. Just Twice. That's laughable to think that you are just some great powerhouse. The teams they lost to this year were very good teams. We talk about Lussier and Gaddis tenure at Oak Ridge then east tennessee 5A football stunk. Only team worth a count was Kingsport which they beat Oak Ridge every year. Then would not make it past the third round. Remember Twice to the state championship. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> What coach do you want. Gaddis.. Remember you all ran him out of there. Lussier in 2002 you all was ready to run him out. The coach from Chattanooga turned it down. Rankin didn't even put his name in but took a job at a 2A school. Quarles never considered it.Maybe Coatney at Fulton. But he allows thugs to play oh no oak Ridge brass couldn't allow that. Who could take you to the promise land. Oh yeah Coach gray. No knox county school will allow him to coach there anymore. Every place he has been he has left with a lot of controversy and caused problems for the head coach. So ole dad give me a name or two for guys to take oak ridge back to the promise land. that they been to twice in the last 25 years. Twice :roflol

I am going to have to agree with Mr. Breakers on this one, I think we should come out with our names instead of hiding behind our computers,(we have to hide behind something with a program like ours)

My name is John Clark. I do believe that Mr Boorelly's name is Jeremiah am I right? I do believe we have crossed paths beofre, I think your last name is Wright. Correct me if I am wrong sir.

Ron Grey would be worse than what we have now. You wanna see a total lack of support? then hire the back stabbing Ron Grey. His track record speaks for itself. He has burned every bridge he's ever crossed.

Hey Coach,

You are not afraid to compete for the OR head job are you ? Look at his record VS yours.

if It was not for Ron Grey you would not have your job now.

Hey Coach,

You are no................

Bldrunner

Are you my ole buddy "bladerunner" from last fall??? If not have you wildcat fans put a gag order on him???? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> I've been watching the threads and he hasn't wrote a word all spring... or maybe his pc crashed.... Good luck guys, hope everything works out for you all...

tpoole12

To all OR fans. Go to the games. Pack your stands. This is about 14-18 yr old kids. Not adults, who what to fly a flag on your cars on game day.

I agree 100% with this part.... The rest .......( I don't have a dog in the hunt..) In all the turmoil and frustration don't forget the "kids".....

tpoole12