6-5A - Let's hear some opinions

bearfeet

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew Kelly makes CHS better, but I still don't see them as a playoff team. The defense won't keep up and they will end up being a team that simply gets outscored every Friday night. Scales is a great athlete, but I would put him somewhere other than QB. Kelly is a target, but Scales has to get the ball in his hands.

It'll be another typical year for Centennial.

Scales won't wow anyone with his arm, but he can deliver a solid throw when needed to. Plus his athleticism buys him some time in the pocket and gives him the ability to scramble out if the pocket collapses. Plus as a 4th year starter, he brings alot of poise and experience to that position.

Drew Kelly brings alot of size and muscle to both sides of the ball. He serves as a big receiving target, but he can also play defensive end and linebacker, adding alot of size to a front 7 that was outmatched almost every game last year. Offensively, he helps a receiving corps that was very inconsistent last year and wasted alot of chances with dropped balls and missed routes.

Gotta watch those 'opinions' on these sites sleeper. But, then again, it's a great way to solicit and collect dvds from the bandwagoners, I suppose.

I will agree there have been many bandwagoners on here about Independence before. I remember a QB from a couple of years ago that many people on here were head over heels about. But people do make mistakes and no one is perfect.

Let's look at your list:

better throwing mechanics - Maybe, but it isn't as much about mechanics as it is getting the ball to the receiver.

the Dickson County game two years ago when him and Emory Martin played QB - That was 2 years ago.

the fact that he was playing against better competition (with the exception of week 15) last season - He started against MBA (good team I agree with you), Franklin (So did Heckman in quarterfinals), Centennial (Better than who?), Memphis East (Better than who and he had 2 ints and Heckman was put in). Heckman then started against CNE, DC, Ravenwood, Brentwood, Columbia, Gallatin, Antioch, Franklin, Millington and Smyrna. (9-1).

he played QB last season when Pettigrew was not 100% healthy, which when Pettigrew was healthy it took a lot of pressure off of the QB - Pettigrew had over 200 vs Centennial. He was pretty healthy from then on. Nick didn't start vs BA, so MBA was the only game.

the passing game opens up a lot more when he is at QB (yes I know the running game goes in the other direction but I believe their strength to be more in the receivers this year as opposed to the running back) - Not sure how that is. Teams are able to defend the pass since he is not a running threat. The game is about balance, not just passing.

I've said it before I like Nick Smith. IMO Heckman gives the team a better chance at being multi-dimensional and a better team. For some reason Nick lost confidence in his passing ability. I remember his Sophmore year when he played he was able to make the good throws. Last year, he threw too many bad balls. Once a qb loses confidence they start pressing and make more mistakes. Indy has a playoff shot with Heckman, but unfortunately if Heckman goes down, they will struggle. I hate to say it but I am not the only one that will say it.

Forgive me for being so slow to get back with you. With my old age and all.....nevermind.

I will say this if you don't give Nick the benefit of the doubt and atleast say he has better throwing mechanics I lose alot of respect for your "football knowledge" on here.

And I have said it from the beginning, the region was down last year thus accounting for teams such as NE, Ravenwood, and Columbia. Also Gallatin and Antioch weren't looking to sharp either.

Scales won't wow anyone with his arm, but he can deliver a solid throw when needed to. Plus his athleticism buys him some time in the pocket and gives him the ability to scramble out if the pocket collapses. Plus as a 4th year starter, he brings alot of poise and experience to that position.

Drew Kelly brings alot of size and muscle to both sides of the ball. He serves as a big receiving target, but he can also play defensive end and linebacker, adding alot of size to a front 7 that was outmatched almost every game last year. Offensively, he helps a receiving corps that was very inconsistent last year and wasted alot of chances with dropped balls and missed routes.

How did Kelly look in the scrimmage against Mt. Juliet?

How has CHS looked in their scrimmages?

Who have they played so far?

I think they play MJ this Thurs.

Forgive me for being so slow to get back with you. With my old age and all.....nevermind.

I will say this if you don't give Nick the benefit of the doubt and atleast say he has better throwing mechanics I lose alot of respect for your "football knowledge" on here.

And I have said it from the beginning, the region was down last year thus accounting for teams such as NE, Ravenwood, and Columbia. Also Gallatin and Antioch weren't looking to sharp either.

Okay, Nick's throwing mechanics are awesome, and he always looks good warming up Heckman.

Sleeper,

We have bantered back and forth for quite a while on who should be the starting qb at IHS and frankly I don't really care whether you have respect for my football knowledge or not. For the last time, I would take Heckman over Smith any day because he is a more complete qb and fits Indy's scheme better. I don't care whether the region was down or not Indy was 9-1 with Heckman as a starter. Nick started 4 games (yes MBA was better than any other team) and Indy was 2-2. Throwing mechanics don't mean a whole lot to me compared to completions and interceptions. This seems to be your personal mission to prove Nick should be the starting QB, when I know that more think Heckman should be. You have your right to your opinion, but please examine the facts before respecting my football knowledge. I don't have a son playing for Indy any longer, so I have no dog in the hunt. I will trust the coaches to make the correct decision on who should play or not.

I will agree there have been many bandwagoners on here about Independence before. I remember a QB from a couple of years ago that many people on here were head over heels about. But people do make mistakes and no one is perfect.

What is your point? The qb you are talking about was absolutely the best qb for the system that was being run. His off the field problems were a seperate issue. You're right that nobody is perfect and remember we are discussing high school players, not colle or pro. Please explain your bandwagon remark. You are quick to make these vague inuendos.

Care to explain or is this just between you and sleeper?