Golden Circle AllStar Game

yankees8589

CLAP CLAP!! And I've seen all 3 play and got to say... #1 Justin Blake is an impressive shooter and can drive the lane better than what people give him credit for and his defense is no joke! LOCK DOWN D! #2 Ricky Taylor is a good shooter and even better defender, he can drive the lane and a great ball handler! #3 MJ Brown is a PG that plays like a SG.. he is a PG if the shot isn't good PASS IT AWAY! He did too much by himself but it worked for him! I rank them the same way ALL of the UNBIASED player rankings have it and I know someone else that thinks that way too and he is UNBIASED!

You dont know what you're talking about. I"m not a UC fan or anything but MJ almost lost them several games by NOT taking over earlier in some games. He did what a star does, when his team needed the best player to take over he did. How do you win Mr Basketball twice and still not get the credit? As for BLake, from what i understand he is a great young man and my congrats on his career but I honestly and objectively think he is overrated. How much of that driving the lane did he do at state against the best comp???? NONE. Blake had a high scoring avg but they were a lot of coushioned points during blow outs... hitting open threes off breaks and steals by teammates... playing late in games against other teams 2nd/3rd strings. Any good shooter with DECENT all around ball skills could have done what he did. I'm not saying he cant play, just think he's quite a bit overrated. I think he would make a good D2 or small mid-major at best player... I'm sure he has a huge amount of potential but SEC/ Major D1 calibur... ahhh NO FRIGGIN WAY!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree ballplayerSAR...I told people all year that he never drives to the lane! He didn't do it once when I saw them play! I agree he is a tad over-rated however still a good shooter. I remember all these Dyer Co. people talking about how Justin Blake was going MAJOR D-1 all year long and I told you folks the best he would do would be OVC. Certain people claimed all year he was major D-1 and they told me to wait until the offers come rolling in. Now a couple of weeks after the state tournaments I am waiting to hear on these Major D-1 schools....

I agree with chipper as well as ready4boro that MJ is the better player. To say Justin Blake is "quicker" than MJ is laughable. Justin may be "quick" but he doesn't use it and tends to spot of for the 3 rather than use that "quickness". MJ got to the basket when needed. Look at the state championship. MJ had 3 points at the half. Coach Sisco was quoted in the paper as telling MJ walking out of the tunnel "were going to need you in the second half if were going to win it", what happens???? MJ finishes the game with 29 points and lead his team from a 16 point halftime deficit to win the state championship by 2. Beavo, please never say MJ does too much. He only does enough to get his team a W. I've seen Ricky Taylor play several times as well. Ricky is stronger than MJ but just as "quick" in my opinion. I saw where Ricky is heading to UT-Chatt.! Awesome job to him!

I agree ballplayerSAR...I told people all year that he never drives to the lane! He didn't do it once when I saw them play! I agree he is a tad over-rated however still a good shooter. I remember all these Dyer Co. people talking about how Justin Blake was going MAJOR D-1 all year long and I told you folks the best he would do would be OVC. Certain people claimed all year he was major D-1 and they told me to wait until the offers come rolling in. Now a couple of weeks after the state tournaments I am waiting to hear on these Major D-1 schools....

I agree with chipper as well as ready4boro that MJ is the better player. To say Justin Blake is "quicker" than MJ is laughable. Justin may be "quick" but he doesn't use it and tends to spot of for the 3 rather than use that "quickness". MJ got to the basket when needed. Look at the state championship. MJ had 3 points at the half. Coach Sisco was quoted in the paper as telling MJ walking out of the tunnel "were going to need you in the second half if were going to win it", what happens???? MJ finishes the game with 29 points and lead his team from a 16 point halftime deficit to win the state championship by 2. Beavo, please never say MJ does too much. He only does enough to get his team a W. I've seen Ricky Taylor play several times as well. Ricky is strong than MJ but just as "quick" in my opiniopn. I saw where Ricky is heading to UT-Chatt.! Awesome job to him!

I never saw the part where someone said Blake was quiker than MJ Brown. THats funny. Ask CJ crittendon about how quick MJ is and see is he remembers getting up off the floor after a crossover put on him by MJ last year.

I'm gonna go a step further and make a statement based on what i've seen and from talking with a few others that know the game (coaches and such). I think yalls (DYER Co.) best player is crittendon. Yall could have not had blake and made it to state... plenty of others that could fill his role good enough. You loose CJ then you dont make it period. CJ is/or at least was highly underrated up until the state tournament. Oh, if you didnt notice i'm giving a DC player credit incase you DC people think i'm just hating on blake cause i dont like DC or something. Just trying to be honest

MJ is ranked higher than Justin Blake and Ricky Taylor and should be the MVP.MJ is 11,Ricky 13,and Justin 14.MJ is the better all around player and for you to say that Justin is a lock down defender,I saw Jalen Steele,who is a sophomore from Knox Fulton score at will on him in the state tournament and saw James Gallman just lock him up.The reason that MJ is the better player is that MJ is able to attack the basket,shoot it,dish it,and is a better defender than the both of them.Did you notice in the state tournament game that Blake never got to the free throw line during the game.All his shots were beyond the 3 pt line and i think he hit about 4 out of 15.He has to learn to attack the basket.Right now he is just a spot up shooter but i think that he will learn to attack the basket more as he get into college.I would rank them as 1.MJ 2.Ricky 3.Justin right now.When you look at all 3 of them,they are all good players,but they have more weaknesses than MJ.Can you name a weakness of Mj game that people on here talk about?

I was at the game to. Fulton won and congrats to them but you make a very misleading point and I feel I should point it out for every one to see.Before I get to my point I would like to point out Blake is much more than a spot up shooter. Spot up shooters don't create their own shots beyond the 3 point line. Have you ever seen Blake use the move where the defense is really tight on him and he uses a killer cross over from 22 or 23 feet out to create seperation and pulls up and drains a 23 foot jump shot. He makes this shot more times than not..I've seen him use this exact move 4 or 5 times a game in the games I have seen DC play. As for being locked down by Gallaman...Blake still got off 15 shots and many of those were wide open he just missed them....when the defense was to tight he passed out just like you are supposed to do. Blake has very good handles and anybody says otherwise is just plain wrong. How many times has anyone seen the ball stolen from him? NOT VERY OFTEN!!!! This kid has 9 D1 offers and at worst will be a mid major player that will play as a freshman in college. I've known about Taylor and Blake for some time as far as who was recruiting them and who was showing major interest...To this day the only solid info I can find on MJ is UTM, SEMO, and maybe Murray State...I have asked over and over on these threads and nobody has been able to say with any certainty more than that. If I am wrong gplease post because I have been after that info forever. MJ's stock could have very well be higer after the state than before..I have even said in the past that I thought MJ may be under recruited..If MJ ends up going to a better more high profile program than Blake and Taylor....I say GREAT..but as of now nobody has produced anything to say otherwise. I have never had a problem admitting being wriong once somebody showed me the facts and will do so now if someone does.

The rankings bevo was referring to were from Feb..the rankings you are referring to were after the State Tournement and adjusted.There was some movement with some players. Like CJ Crittendon moving up to number 14 for the class of 2009....Not only did Blake not get to the FT Line, hardly anybody from DC did.....FT stats were: DC 6 for 11 Knoxville Fulton 28 for 37: Total FG stats DC 33 for 88 Knoxville Fulton 26 for 58: Three Point stats DC 7 for 34 Knoxville Fulton 6 for 21: DC takes 51 shots insdie the three point line while Fulton takes 27 from inside the three point line: By my calculations DC take 24 (not many of these were mid range jump shots either) more shots inside the thee point line than Fulton but Fulton shoots 26 more free throws than DC: The sheer numbers are mind boggling to me when one team shoots that many more FT's but takes 24 less shots inside the three point line and in addition to that DC takes 88 total shots and only 11 FT's as opposed to Fulton taking 58 total shots and shooting 37 FT's. Not hardly any of the foul calls were off the ball either or called on three point shots. Most the congestion in this particular game was inside the three point line..where most fouls are called. DC was much more agressive in this area than Fulton which one would think would mean more free throws...especially after a 2 point FG difference of 51 to 27.....The score was DC 79 Fulton 82 with 43 seconds and at the 27 second mark ...thats when DC had to put Fulton on the Line: Fulton shot and made 4 free throws over the last 27 seconds...absent these 4 ft's Fulton still had an advantage of 33 to 11 at the ft line...so the free throws were not from intentional fouls.

Back to Blake: he picked up his third foul I think with about two minutes left in the 2nd quarter and fouled out with about two minutes left in the 2nd overtime, Blake played 32 minutes out of 42 total..playing 18 of those minutes after halftime with 3 fouls: Steele finished with 27 points but .... 4 of those points in the first half ( before Blake got in foul trouble)..thus he scored 23 points after Blake was in big foul trouble which forced him to play alot less agressively. Blake is the star player and I can guarantee anybody that the Fulton coach knew this as well as the DC coach in noway wanting to lose the star player for much of the 2nd half and overtime with a 4th and 5th foul.

Blake, Parr, and Pierce all had 3 fouls in the first half....all starters if I'm not mistaken. If it weren't for Blake there never would have been a 2nd overtime because he hit a three to send the games in overtime.

Just adding some some context is all because in my opinion what you said dosen't hold up. My statements in noway are directed at the outcome of the game...just a rebuttal to you saying Blake is nothing more than a spot up shotter, didn't shoot any FT's, and got locked up by Gallman...The thing that goes unnoticed is that Blake is a SG and does what his coach ask him to do..anybody that watches this kid closely knows he can do much more than he does....Why would a coach want a great shooter like Blake going to the hole all the time when he has team mates that are very well capable of satisfying that part of the offensive scheme...dosen't make sense to do that...take your best shooter away from the wing and make him drive to the hole...most coaches play to the teams strengths and Blakes shooting ability was most likely the biggest strength of the team. Dc has one of the best point guards in the state for the class of 2009 so why would Blake be asked to play that role....it's simple "he wouldn't". Blakes jump shot is his bread and butter but make no mistake thats not all he can do.

I was at the game to. Fulton won and congrats to them but you make a very misleading point and I feel I should point it out for every one to see.Before I get to my point I would like to point out Blake is much more than a spot up shooter. Spot up shooters don't create their own shots beyond the 3 point line. Have you ever seen Blake use the move where the defense is really tight on him and he uses a killer cross over from 22 or 23 feet out to create seperation and pulls up and drains a 23 foot jump shot. He makes this shot more times than not..I've seen him use this exact move 4 or 5 times a game in the games I have seen DC play. As for being locked down by Gallaman...Blake still got off 15 shots and many of those were wide open he just missed them....when the defense was to tight he passed out just like you are supposed to do. Blake has very good handles and anybody says otherwise is just plain wrong. How many times has anyone seen the ball stolen from him? NOT VERY OFTEN!!!! This kid has 9 D1 offers and at worst will be a mid major player that will play as a freshman in college. I've known about Taylor and Blake for some time as far as who was recruiting them and who was showing major interest...To this day the only solid info I can find on MJ is UTM, SEMO, and maybe Murray State...I have asked over and over on these threads and nobody has been able to say with any certainty more than that. If I am wrong gplease post because I have been after that info forever. MJ's stock could have very well be higer after the state than before..I have even said in the past that I thought MJ may be under recruited..If MJ ends up going to a better more high profile program than Blake and Taylor....I say GREAT..but as of now nobody has produced anything to say otherwise. I have never had a problem admitting being wriong once somebody showed me the facts and will do so now if someone does.

The rankings bevo was referring to were from Feb..the rankings you are referring to were after the State Tournement and adjusted.There was some movement with some players. Like CJ Crittendon moving up to number 14 for the class of 2009....Not only did Blake not get to the FT Line, hardly anybody from DC did.....FT stats were: DC 6 for 11 Knoxville Fulton 28 for 37: Total FG stats DC 33 for 88 Knoxville Fulton 26 for 58: Three Point stats DC 7 for 34 Knoxville Fulton 6 for 21: DC takes 51 shots insdie the three point line while Fulton takes 27 from inside the three point line: By my calculations DC take 24 (not many of these were mid range jump shots either) more shots inside the thee point line than Fulton but Fulton shoots 26 more free throws than DC: The sheer numbers are mind boggling to me when one team shoots that many more FT's but takes 24 less shots inside the three point line and in addition to that DC takes 88 total shots and only 11 FT's as opposed to Fulton taking 58 total shots and shooting 37 FT's. Not hardly any of the foul calls were off the ball either or called on three point shots. Most the congestion in this particular game was inside the three point line..where most fouls are called. DC was much more agressive in this area than Fulton which one would think would mean more free throws...especially after a 2 point FG difference of 51 to 27.....The score was DC 79 Fulton 82 with 43 seconds and at the 27 second mark ...thats when DC had to put Fulton on the Line: Fulton shot and made 4 free throws over the last 27 seconds...absent these 4 ft's Fulton still had an advantage of 33 to 11 at the ft line...so the free throws were not from intentional fouls.

Back to Blake: he picked up his third foul I think with about two minutes left in the 2nd quarter and fouled out with about two minutes left in the 2nd overtime, Blake played 32 minutes out of 42 total..playing 18 of those minutes after halftime with 3 fouls: Steele finished with 27 points but .... 4 of those points in the first half ( before Blake got in foul trouble)..thus he scored 23 points after Blake was in big foul trouble which forced him to play alot less agressively. Blake is the star player and I can guarantee anybody that the Fulton coach knew this as well as the DC coach in noway wanting to lose the star player for much of the 2nd half and overtime with a 4th and 5th foul.

Blake, Parr, and Pierce all had 3 fouls in the first half....all starters if I'm not mistaken. If it weren't for Blake there never would have been a 2nd overtime because he hit a three to send the games in overtime.

Just adding some some context is all because in my opinion what you said dosen't hold up. My statements in noway are directed at the outcome of the game...just a rebuttal to you saying Blake is nothing more than a spot up shotter, didn't shoot any FT's, and got locked up by Gallman...The thing that goes unnoticed is that Blake is a SG and does what his coach ask him to do..anybody that watches this kid closely knows he can do much more than he does....Why would a coach want a great shooter like Blake going to the hole all the time when he has team mates that are very well capable of satisfying that part of the offensive scheme...dosen't make sense to do that...take your best shooter away from the wing and make him drive to the hole...most coaches play to the teams strengths and Blakes shooting ability was most likely the biggest strength of the team. Dc has one of the best point guards in the state for the class of 2009 so why would Blake be asked to play that role....it's simple "he wouldn't". Blakes jump shot is his bread and butter but make no mistake thats not all he can do.

VERY GOOD POST......and yankees8589 is NOT from DC /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> . Unbiased opinion....plain and simple J Blake can play ball, plus he gave himself the best opportunities to do so. From his choice of high school to playing AAU ball.

yankees, you say his coach did not want him playing the role of driving to the basket. So you admitted that he does not drive to the basket am I not correct???? If so, do you not think that Justin not driving to the basket DID hurt his recruiting somewhat? You would notice players like Demarcus Nelson, Ty Lawson, and Derrick Rose ALL attack the basket to CREATE easier shots for other players when the Defense collapse down on them. Justin Blake may dribble around and crossover at the top of the key all game but if he never drives to the basket he's doing absolutely nothing except forcing up a shot or passing the ball around the top of the key.

"Have you ever seen Blake use the move where the defense is really tight on him and he uses a killer cross over from 22 or 23 feet out to create seperation and pulls up and drains a 23 foot jump shot." that's what I'm referring to.

yankees, you say his coach did not want him playing the role of driving to the basket. So you admitted that he does not drive to the basket am I not correct???? If so, do you not think that Justin not driving to the basket DID hurt his recruiting somewhat? You would notice players like Demarcus Nelson, Ty Lawson, and Derrick Rose ALL attack the basket to CREATE easier shots for other players when the Defense collapse down on them. Justin Blake may dribble around and crossover at the top of the key all game but if he never drives to the basket he's doing absolutely nothing except forcing up a shot or passing the ball around the top of the key.

"Have you ever seen Blake use the move where the defense is really tight on him and he uses a killer cross over from 22 or 23 feet out to create seperation and pulls up and drains a 23 foot jump shot." that's what I'm referring to.

No...... don't think it hurt at all. And no I don't admit he dosen't drive to the baske either. I have seen Blake and every player on the DC team cut to the basket...but you must remember his role is as a big time shooter. The object of the game is to put the ball in the basket at a higher rate than the other team and Blake happens to be one of those players that can get you 3 instead of 2. Remember scouts see these kids the most over the summer not over the highschool season. Guarrantee he was doing things playing AAU that none of us have seen during the highschool season. Highschool is much more structured (always remeber that) than AAU. And I would say right now Blake can probably outshoot TY Lawson, Demarcus Nelson ,and Derrick Rose....Rememer Lee Humphery from Florida..Florida dosen't win back to back national championships without Lee Humphrey.

And to the cross over move on the perimiter...That is not an easy move. Very tough to get seperation and pull up that deep. That is one of the very reasons he will play in college. That is not an average move at all.

OBVIOUSLY he will be playing ball in college while the majority of high school kids will not /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I saw him drive to the basket. His RAnge is what SETS HIM APART. If he wasn't good he wouldn't have been playing on the AAU team he did. So SOMEONE besides DC people think he is worthy.

I agree with chipper as well as ready4boro that MJ is the better player. To say Justin Blake is "quicker" than MJ is laughable. Justin may be "quick" but he doesn't use it and tends to spot of for the 3 rather than use that "quickness". MJ got to the basket when needed. Look at the state championship. MJ had 3 points at the half. Coach Sisco was quoted in the paper as telling MJ walking out of the tunnel "were going to need you in the second half if were going to win it", what happens???? MJ finishes the game with 29 points and lead his team from a 16 point halftime deficit to win the state championship by 2. Beavo, please never say MJ does too much. He only does enough to get his team a W. I've seen Ricky Taylor play several times as well. Ricky is stronger than MJ but just as "quick" in my opinion. I saw where Ricky is heading to UT-Chatt.! Awesome job to him!

Blake is quicker than MJ...Period. If thats laugable to you so be it. I am going to be brutally honest here. I suspect most know Blake is better but won't concede it just because they don't like DC. And who said Blake was high major...I said I though me might be holding out for a high major offer... OLe Miss, Missour, Auburn, and Louisville were sniffing around.....These programs have recruititng budgets...They don't just throw money away. If they didn't offer they didn't offer....Remember Josh Sain from Liberty..he had one offer going into the state tournement last year (SEMO) and after the state Alabama, Georgia, and Arkansas offered if I'm nor mistaken... Answer this for me ...what are MJ's offers. Let's cut to the chase.

I have no clue whom has offered MJ. That's for me to think and guess about until he signs. I don't see how you say Justin is quicker. What does he do to make him so quick??? I'll tell you what MJ does to prove his quickness, beats people off the ball! yankees, you never said Blake was Major D-1 but adsmom did. I know she's going to deny it now but I remember her as well as some of the other people saying he was Major D-1. I never said Blake couldn't outshoot those guys. The reason I said what I said is because they are SG/PG who attack the lane and take what is given to them whether it's a layup or kickin it out for a three. I know Major D-1 when I see 'em. Players like Jarvis Varnado, Brandan Wright, Wayne Chism, Willie Kemp and the list goes on. There's a difference in the level of play. yankees, how many times have you seen Justin Blake play and who did they play? I've seen him LOTS of times.... Every player has a weakness to their game, physical play is Justin's weakness. Like it or not.

I have no clue whom has offered MJ. That's for me to think and guess about until he signs. I don't see how you say Justin is quicker. What does he do to make him so quick??? I'll tell you what MJ does to prove his quickness, beats people off the ball! yankees, you never said Blake was Major D-1 but adsmom did. I know she's going to deny it now but I remember her as well as some of the other people saying he was Major D-1. I never said Blake couldn't outshoot those guys. The reason I said what I said is because they are SG/PG who attack the lane and take what is given to them whether it's a layup or kickin it out for a three. I know Major D-1 when I see 'em. Players like Jarvis Varnado, Brandan Wright, Wayne Chism, Willie Kemp and the list goes on. There's a difference in the level of play. yankees, how many times have you seen Justin Blake play and who did they play? I've seen him LOTS of times.... Every player has a weakness to their game, physical play is Justin's weakness. Like it or not.

DC vs Bolivar DC vs Liberty DC vs Dburg DC vs SS DC vs Fulton Physical play is Donell Mascks weakness to look where he is. I will say again AAU is where these guys get noticed and followed this is where these kids matchup against the best players in the country . I have never seen where adamsmom or anybody said he was highmajor...I most likey broached that more than anybody. The guys you are talking about are Dookies ad Tar Heels..kinda unfair comparison..Kids allover the SEC 2nd tier that couldn't play at those two schools. And I base my opinion on watching both play..as far as speed and quickness nobody on here will convince me otherwise.. I saw Wayne, Wille, The Delk Twins, Varnado, the Long twins, Brian Lake, Casey Prather, Devon Jones, Josh Sain and a handfull of others probably 4 or 5 times more than anybody on these threads...so I know what i'm talking about. I've been watching this stuff forever...PLEASE DON'T THINK I COME OFF AS A KNOWITALL...I IN NO WAY MEAN FOR IT TO SOUND LIKE THAT....We are fans thats all but I know speed and quickness and I have seen alot of players over the years.. I am so confident that if you lined them up and timed them I would put a thousand dollars on it /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> I am absolutley serious Blake is faster and quicker. We can all argue the point til were blue in the face. And 90% of the people on here are the most biased crowd you will find anywhere anybody says otherwise is not being truthfulthat .....There is probably more HOMERS on these threads than any sports forum you will find anywhere....Not very many unbiased opinions on here...THAT IS A FACT!!!!! So much animosity on here that peoples judgements and opinions become so clouded they can't see whats right on front of them!!!! I have no control over any of that but I can with all honesty say I am unbiased in what I say. If others don't beleive that ...OH WELL!!!!!